PDA

View Full Version : How long do you want to live...

JoNightshade
07-10-2008, 04:22 AM
...and why?

My great grandmother lived to 97 and outlived 4 husbands. She was ready to die at age 70 and spent the last 30 years of her life bemoaning her continued existence.

Given the (female) longevity in my family, it's likely that I'll far outlive my husband and probable that I'll make it to 100, barring any accidents. I'm okay with that. I think it would be great just to see the technological progress that happens over a 100-year period. I'd love to live to 100 and beyond simply because I'm curious. Even if it's bad.

How about you?

Haggis
07-10-2008, 04:26 AM
How about you?

As long as I can, unless I start drooling over the keyboard.

giraffe!
07-10-2008, 04:28 AM
I'm not sure.

I used to be completely opposed to growing old. The idea of being an old fart and the possibility of being completely and utterly useless to the world was once extremely unappealing.

But now I agree with your sentiments. I think that if I can keep a decent outlook on life as the years pass, living a long life will be a welcomed surprise!

maestrowork
07-10-2008, 04:31 AM
When I was a kid I thought I would be dead by age 50. None of my grandparents lived past 50, by the way.

Now I think I may enjoy getting older. I see people in their 90s still active and productive and seemingly enjoying their lives (albeit health issues). If I'm healthy and independent, I think I'd like to live to my 90s. If I'm sick and frail, I'd want to end it quickly.

jst5150
07-10-2008, 04:36 AM
Ditto to most of what Ray said. But I figured the way I was living, it would be 40. Now, I'm fine with continuing on. :)

And always remember what Chris Rock said: "You don't need to live healthy, you just need some coverage. You want to die on a mattress."

Pagey's_Girl
07-10-2008, 04:46 AM
As long as I'm healthy and able to do what I want to, hey, I'll keep going. I'm having too darn much fun to want to stop anytime soon.

The women in my family tend to be tough, though. My mother's 78 and still going strong. Everyone thinks she's in her fifties at most. I also had a great-aunt who lived to be 105 - one of her daughters lived to be 97.

kct webber
07-10-2008, 04:49 AM
I just hope I'm still alive when the aliens arrive.

JoNightshade
07-10-2008, 04:53 AM
I just hope I'm still alive when the aliens arrive.

Oh, me too! I'm also waiting for Christ's return. We'll see how that goes. ;)

BlackViolet13
07-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Longevity runs in my family on both sides, so barring any tragedies, I plan to be hanging around for a helluva long time :) I am trying really hard to take care of myself now, so when I am skiing the Alps at the age of 90, my hips don't break.

Mumut
07-10-2008, 05:27 AM
When I was a kid I thought I would be dead by age 50. None of my grandparents lived past 50, by the way.

Now I think I may enjoy getting older. I see people in their 90s still active and productive and seemingly enjoying their lives (albeit health issues). If I'm healthy and independent, I think I'd like to live to my 90s. If I'm sick and frail, I'd want to end it quickly.

I agree with this. I told my wife that if I was incapable of making a decision and of chronically bad health, I'd prefer euthanasia. My wife asked why she had to wait that long to pull the plug.

soleary
07-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Grandma Moses hit her stride in her 80s. Here's hoping we all find success before that, but live as long as she did enjoying it -- past 100!

benbradley
07-10-2008, 05:55 AM
I want to see at least 120, unfortunately I haven't been sticking as well as I'd like to the diet. (http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-120-Year-Diet-Double/dp/1568581572) I read the first edition of the book about 15 years ago, around the time I quit smoking and started jogging and bicycling, and was intrigued and fascinated by it.

But I'm only 50 (going on 51), and inventor/futurist/author Ray Kurzweil (http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2002/11/56448) nas been quoted as saying something like "If you can stay alive for the next 50 years, you can live forever."

Why? I've got a lot of stuff I want to do. I feel like I wasted much of my life so far, and I want to make up for it. Watch for my memoir...

astonwest
07-10-2008, 06:26 AM
I'm hoping I don't make it past 40 or 50...

Fingers
07-10-2008, 06:36 AM
I want to live right up to the time that I die. So far so good.

yer pal Brian

Fraulein
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I want to live as long as I can and with good intentions.

Neurotic
07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
It depends on how well my mind holds out. My mother used to work in the hospital wing of a rest home. She adored the residents but whenever I visited her at work all I could think of was there how sad it was, especially for the ones who kind of knew something wasn't quite right but they couldn't figure out what.

I can't put a number to how long I want to live, just as long as I go before that happens.

ErylRavenwell
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't feel like I've lived one life but many. I no longer can recognise the person I was ten years or so ago; seems like he died.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
LET ME GO (Author Unknown - aka 'The Old Man's Prayer')

Pardon me, doctor, but may I die?
I know your oath requires you to try to keep me alive
So long as my body is warm and there is a breath of life.
But listen, Doc, I've buried my spouse,
My children are grown and on their own.
My friends are all gone, and I want to go, too.
No mortal man should keep me here
When the call from Him is unmistakably clear.
I DESERVE the right to slip quietly away.
My work is done and I am tired.
Your motives are noble, but now I pray,
You can read in my eyes what my lips can't say.
Listen to my heart and you'll hear it cry,
Pardon me, Doc, but may I die?

I carried this around in my notebook when I was in college taking Humanities courses and Sociology. Sounded reasonable then... and now that I'm much, much older, sounds even more reasonable now.

quickWit
07-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Just long enough to get me a trophy wife. :D

MattW
07-10-2008, 04:40 PM
My wife's family is plagued by longevity. Barring things like accidents, the women all are in the 90's and still kicking.

My family, OTOH, none of my grandparents made it to 70, and I've already surpassed my dad's lifespan at 32.

All I want is to have some quality time with grandkids - something I didn't have much with my grandparents. As far as life experiences, I've been checking off the list for a while already and will continue with no regrets until they stick me in a shoebox and bury me in the backyard.

Tink
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I want to live right up to the time that I die. So far so good.

yer pal Brian
Ditto...

JimmyB27
07-10-2008, 05:00 PM
As long as my body and mind still work, I can't imagine not wanting to live.

Seaclusion
07-10-2008, 06:07 PM
There are three things that make life worth living. Food, sex and boating (not necessarily in that order and you can substitute your favorite activity in place of boating). If I cannot enjoy all three, well there is no point.

Richard

Shadow_Ferret
07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Forever. By any and all means possible.

DeleyanLee
07-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I want to live as long as I'm enjoying my life. Should I stop enjoying things, then it's time to die.

JimmyB27
07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I want to live as long as I'm enjoying my life. Should I stop enjoying things, then it's time to die.
If I took that outlook, it would be time to die now. Happily, I anticipate enjoyment at some time in the future, so I'll not be popping those pills just yet.

Sarita
07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Forever. By any and all means possible.
Hear! Hear!

Although, I don't have much going for me. My grandparents were 48, 56, 64, and 83 when they died...

Liam Jackson
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
What Fingers said.
*salute*

Thump
07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Hear! Hear!

Although, I don't have much going for me. My grandparents were 48, 56, 64, and 83 when they died...

Are you me?:Wha:

People in my family don't really live long but I intend to make it to at least 116. I am going to see three centuries if it's the last thing I do ;)

That's why I'm working on losing all my extra weight right now when I'm 22 and I still can :D I'm hoping I'll be so old (but healthy) when they decide to send people to Mars, that they'll pick me as a symbolic gesture of some kind :D Also, I'll make loads of money publishing my journal as a memoir.

Xoote
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
As long as possible. As long as i'm not suffering that i'm good

Pagey's_Girl
07-10-2008, 07:37 PM
And I intend to be watching Thump make that first step onto another planet on TV - if I'm not the journalist live n the scene covering it, that is.

(Hey, when I was in high school I wanted to be the first journalist in space. Maybe it's time to think of reviving that ambition. Of course, I'd have to actually become a journalist first. ;) )

JoNightshade
07-10-2008, 08:59 PM
There are three things that make life worth living. Food, sex and boating (not necessarily in that order and you can substitute your favorite activity in place of boating). If I cannot enjoy all three, well there is no point.

Richard

You know, it's interesting how you change as you get older. My dad's two loves were building houses and windsurfing - both intensely physical (sex - don't know, don't want to know). Both my mom and I worried as he started getting older, what is this guy going to do when he's no longer physically able? I think both of us were secretly praying he'd go quickly out on the water or something.

But since his heart attack about two years ago, he's begun to develop other hobbies. He's gotten majorly into wood-turning and makes these gorgeous, elaborate bowls. Not only that but... cooking! Baking! My mom was queen of the kitchen for 30 years and now he's usurped her throne.

I think maybe the key is to keep your interest in life, rather than just specific things - to always be learning something new. :)

Hobbes
07-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I want to live until I die. Yeah, that seems about right.

What?