PDA

View Full Version : To whom do I address a submission?

Salem
07-09-2008, 07:54 PM
(I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, but I've scrolled and scrolled until my head hurts so I'm reluctantly just starting a new thread. My apologies!)

When submitting to a publisher, how do I find the name of the person to address the query to? Or is it only necessary to use a name when submitting to an agent?

Shadow_Ferret
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
If the publisher accepts unsolicited submissions, I would think they'd have that information in the submissions guidelines.

Salem
07-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes, I would have thought that too. I've found several publishers that will accept submissions. They list submission guidelines and an address but no name of to whom to address the query.

maestrowork
07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Give them a call and ask for the name of the acquisition editor or agent.

Salem
07-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks. I thought about just calling but I wasn't sure if that was an amateur thing to do! I guess I have a few phone calls to make now. :)

Salem
07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I just called a few of the publishers. They all of teams of people that review manuscripts, not one particular person.

So my question now is, do I simply say "Dear Editors,"? Or is there some other proper way to address to a group?

Salem
07-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Okay, I've done some more research and found that "Dear Editor" is a no-no. So for these publishers (Boyds Mills Press, Chronicle, etc.) who all have multiple editors should I call back and ask just for any random name so that I can avoid saying Dear Editor? What do the rest of you do?

Salem
07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
***At the far end of the playground, Salem's Thread sat alone on a swing, slowly swaying back and forth, letting its feet drag in the sand.
Every now and then it would look up and watch the popular threads laughing and playing, so many of them covered in head to toe with posts, some more than 10,000 posts.
Salem's Thread looked down at itself and its two small posts--one on its left elbow and the other just above the right knee.
But those are different types of threads, Salem's Thread reminded itself. Those are threads for conversations and playing games. I'm not that kind of thread.
The Random Musings About Your Writing Thread tossed it's hair, running around in circles, it's 93,000 posts gleaming in the sunlight. The Make Up a Lie About The Previous Poster Thread chased it around, laughing. Ray's House Of Love stood and watched. Salem's Thread had heard all about Ray's House Of Love and knew it had a shady reputation. Salem's Thread had been warned by it's mother about those kinds of threads and knew to keep it's distance. It's not a good idea to risk getting a virus.
Holding its chin up high, Salem's Thread dug its heels into the sand and brought the swing to a halt.
I've done my best, it told itself. That's all I can do. What was Salem thinking, anyway, asking such a beginnerish sort of question?
The lonely thread got to its feet and left the swing, taking one last glance over its shoulder. Ray's House Of Love was now in a corner, making out with the Obsessive Rep Points Checkers Club Thread.
At the end of the playground was a small patch of grass with a single shady tree standing proudly in the center. Salem's Thread walked over to it and sat down on the ground. It took a couple of deep breaths. It wanted its last breaths to be good ones.
Then the Thread laid down on the cool grass and relaxed, let out its final breath, and slowly died away on a distant page, never to be read again.***

Stay tuned for the exciting sequel--"Dawn of the Thread" where Salem's Thread becomes a zombie.

Prozyan
07-10-2008, 07:22 PM
That might be the most creative bump I have ever seen.

Give them a call

There is your answer. Just ask who that would like query letters/submissions addressed to.

Birol
07-10-2008, 07:27 PM
What do the rest of you do?

I read the guidelines.

Salem
07-10-2008, 07:28 PM
That might be the most creative bump I have ever seen.

There is your answer. Just ask who that would like query letters/submissions addressed to.

Why, thank you!

When I called, the people answering the phones didn't want to give out specific names because they have several editors who review manuscripts. That's why I was so unsure. But I will call again today and be a little more forceful!

Salem
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I read the guidelines.

Thanks, but the problem in the first place was that nothing was mentioned in the guidelines!!

Prozyan
07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I read the guidelines.

This is true, it should be in the guidelines. If not, don't call and ask about a specific editor, call and ask about a clarification on their submission guidelines.

maestrowork
07-10-2008, 07:33 PM
It is true that sometimes they have a group of editors or agents and they don't want you to contact any specific ones -- for privacy or whatever reason. In that case, "To Whom It May Concern" or "Dear Editor" would be fine since that's what they want anyway.

(and no, you can't catch a virus at the House of Love. Sheesh. The rumors this playground has...)

Salem
07-10-2008, 07:33 PM
This is true, it should be in the guidelines. If not, don't call and ask about a specific editor, call and ask about a clarification on their submission guidelines.

Thanks! I intend to call back today and I will ask them what they prefer.

~Salem--making mountains out of molehills~

melaniehoo
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Please let us know what you find out. :D

Salem
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
It is true that sometimes they have a group of editors or agents and they don't want you to contact any specific ones -- for privacy or whatever reason. In that case, "To Whom It May Concern" or "Dear Editor" would be fine since that's what they want anyway.

(and no, you can't catch a virus at the House of Love. Sheesh. The rumors this playground has...)

You can't?? ;)

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was ever appropriate to say "Dear Editors," but I trust you. :)

Sarita
07-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Okay, I've done some more research and found that "Dear Editor" is a no-no. So for these publishers (Boyds Mills Press, Chronicle, etc.) who all have multiple editors should I call back and ask just for any random name so that I can avoid saying Dear Editor? What do the rest of you do?
Hey Salem!

These are both from the 2005 Writer's Market, so they might be a little out of date but here you go:

Boyds Mills has Larry Rosler, editorial director listed for Acquisitions.

Chronicle Books (For Children?) has Victoria Rock, associate publisher; Beth Weber, managing editor; Jennifer Vetter, editor; Susan Pearson, editor at large; Samantha McFerrin, assistant editor.

Let me know who else you have and I can send you details... :)

ETA: Does your local library have a current copy of Writer's Market? This would be the best place to start.

dolores haze
07-10-2008, 07:39 PM
There have been three occassions on which the submission guidelines were not clear on who the submission should be addressed to. I called each time. One gave me a specific name; the other two said "dear editor" would be just fine.

So, call them. It is not the mark of an amateur to do thorough research and get it right. It is the mark of a professional.

Good luck! And make a note of their answers for future reference.

Salem
07-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Thank you so much Sara and dol. That is extremely helpful. And I appreciate the fact that you answered my question without assuming I'm too stupid to read the guidelines first!

Salem
07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
BTW, a couple of the publishers I called said they actually prefer letters to be addressed as "Dear Editors." go figure....

Birol
07-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Thank you so much Sara and dol. That is extremely helpful. And I appreciate the fact that you answered my question without assuming I'm too stupid to read the guidelines first!

Don't get too down on those of use who said "read the guidelines." The response is based on much experience with individuals who didn't read the guidelines and those who said they read the guidelines but never double-checked them for the information they needed when it was clearly listed.

Salem
07-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Don't get too down on those of use who said "read the guidelines." The response is based on much experience with individuals who didn't read the guidelines and those who said they read the guidelines but never double-checked them for the information they needed when it was clearly listed.

No problem. I totally understand. :) I should have mentioned that I already read the guidelines in my first post, rather than in my second post in the thread.