Keyboard shortcuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I just found that I can use the space bar to scroll down the page instead of positioning the cursor on that channel at the right of the window and clicking.

Option key and space bar together make a scroll up the page.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I'd been using the arrow keys sometimes. They're labeled "pg up" and "pg dn," so those must be the same set of keys. The space bar scrolls faster, in an almost-one-screen leap.

On this machine, a Mac, the delete key does the same thing as the Back button. Anyone know a keyboard equivalent of Forward?

Deleted member 42

Reph

What's your browser of choice? And using OS X or 9?

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
On PCs if you hold down shift while putting in a CD, it won't autoplay.

IE is buggy (buggier than usual, I mean) on Mac machines. Try firefox.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
I highly recomend Firefox as your primary browser (there are still sites that won't wok except with IE, so keep it). First off, if you click on your bookmarks, and hit the right mouse button, you open a new window in a tab, rather than a full window. Takes a bit of getting used to, but very nice if you powersurf.

Besides, Firefox is much more secure than IE.

Deleted member 42

Reph can't use FireFox; there isn't a version available for OS 9. She's pretty much limited to IE 5, Netscape Navigator, or Mozilla. Of the three, Mozilla is probably the better option, but it might not be a good one for Reph.

I've got a list of key board shortcuts for IE 5 around somewhere Reph; I'll try to find it and send it to you.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
Reph can't use FireFox; there isn't a version available for OS 9. She's pretty much limited to IE 5, Netscape Navigator, or Mozilla. Of the three, Mozilla is probably the better option, but it might not be a good one for Reph.

:Smack: I missed that first time through.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
ctrl-home to get all the way to the top of the page, or ctrl-end to get to the bottom are also helpful shortcuts. I'm mousing with my left hand these days and using the scroll wheel on my mouse a lot, but to get top and bottom fast, I use those shortcuts. :)

Torin, who is typing with an 800 pound gully cat on my right arm.

Okay, he's not really 800 pounds, but it feels like it right now. I think he's around the 17 to 20 pound range and he's draped across my forearm, purring. Crazy cat.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
jdkiggins said:
Now if I just knew where the option key is, I'd do OK. :)
I think it's called Alt on a PC. Not sure the combination of Alt and space bar will do the same thing as on a Mac. I know there are differences.

Has anyone found a keyboard command for Forward (i.e., next page) yet?

Deleted member 42

reph said:
I think it's called Alt on a PC. Not sure the combination of Alt and space bar will do the same thing as on a Mac. I know there are differences.

Has anyone found a keyboard command for Forward (i.e., next page) yet?

Yes and no.

Yes, there is a keyboard command for that, and it depends on the browser. But here's the no part.

In order for the "Next Page/Page Forward" command the HTML of the starting / current page has to have the "next page" link identified in a particular way by the html. That's a fairly new thing in HTML, created in order to make web pages easier to navigate for people using adaptive technology.

Not that many sites support it. It isn't supported by I.E. at all.

Now, if you're talking about going Forward to a page you've already been to, one that's in your cache, in I.E. try

Shift+Backspace

Or

Alt/Opt+Right Arrow

According the Keyboard shortcut chart in FireFox's Help file.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Medievalist said:
Now, if you're talking about going Forward to a page you've already been to, one that's in your cache, in I.E. try

Shift+Backspace

Or

Alt/Opt+Right Arrow

Yup, Alt-Right Arrow works for Forward...
Alt-Left Arrow works for Back...

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
Opera! Opera! Opera!

Medievalist said:
Reph can't use FireFox; there isn't a version available for OS 9. She's pretty much limited to IE 5, Netscape Navigator, or Mozilla.
Or Opera[/b].com/download/index.dml?platform=mac&ver=6.03]Opera 6.03. Opera rocks, and there's a shortcut for everything imaginable (over 100 for browsing alone, and another 80 or so for other program-specific functions). It's a great browser for mouse-haters.

It's also good for folks with slow modems, because images are easy to toggle off an on with one keystroke, and those with bad eyes, as you can quickly transform someone's poorly designed page into a pure black on white version with a readable font.

Bookmarks/Favorites are a dream. Give them nicknames, then simply hit F2 and type the first few characters to go straight there. F2 Ab takes me to Absolute Write, while F2 Ba takes me to my banking site.

Highlight a word or phrase on the page and right-click, and you can search for it using your search engine of choice, look it up at the dictionary site you define (I like www.Onelook.com), translate it, buy it....

And yes, it does the "Next Page/Page Forward" thing, even handling it well when the page isn't specifically written to support the feature. Space takes you down a page at a time, like in IE, then takes you to the next logical page once you've reached the end.

All the neat things you can add to Firefox via plugins come standard with Opera. And the whole (Mac format) download still weighs less than the Firefox package without the extras, coming in at 4 megabytes (or 3.6MB for the latest Windows version with included e-mail, news, IRC client, RSS reader...).

No, I'm not a paid Opera shill, but it's a job I'd take in a heartbeat. I love Opera. I spend more time using my browser than anything else other than my word processor.

Last edited:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:

Shift+Backspace

Or

Alt/Opt+Right Arrow

According the Keyboard shortcut chart in FireFox's Help file.
That is what I was talking about. Thanks for trying, but those combinations don't work.

Firefox's Help file...uh, maybe IE has one too?

P.S.: It does, if the Help file is what you get by clicking on "Help." The shortcut for Forward is the Mac's Command key plus the right arrow.

Give a woman a fish and . . .

Last edited:

mmm... pancakes

light and fluffy
Registered
Reaction score
Shortcuts I know and like with Internet Explorer (under XP) are:
Ctrl + N - creates a new window of the page you're viewing
Alt + left arrow - go back
Alt + right arrow - go forward
Ctrl + F - opens a 'find on page' search window
F5 - refreshes the page
Alt + home - goes to homepage
Esc - stops loading the page

These are ones I have found helpful, and several of which I use frequently.

On a side note, people say how Firefox is so much better. I've tried Firefox but didn't find a huge difference - the main thing is opening several pages using tabs rather than lots of different windows cluttering the screen.

Cheers,

mmm... pancakes

light and fluffy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Shift + Tab will jump between open windows. Takes some getting used to, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.