PDA

View Full Version : How many queries out at a time?

jannawrites
07-09-2008, 04:01 AM
Is there any guideline to how many should go out at any given time? I don't want to submit so quickly that I completely exhaust my list, so I'm taking a break from sending queries for a bit. Still, in the grand scheme of things, I've not submitted that many (9). What's a good rule of thumb (even if you're just giving me your opinion)?

ChaosTitan
07-09-2008, 04:06 AM
Folks say query widely, but I wouldn't cast my net too far the first time. If your first round of querying results in all rejections, it could mean a problem with the query rather than the novel itself. Conversely, if you start seeing requests for material, yay!

Best estimate, depending on the number of potential agents for your work, is between five and twenty queries per round. ;)

melaniehoo
07-09-2008, 04:17 AM
I agree with Chaos's advice. If your query doesn't 'sell', you'd hate to wipe out all your dream agents at one time.

Good luck! I've got everything crossed. :)

scope
07-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Everyone seems to have a different opinion about this. Here's mine for a new writer. Make a list of all the agents who you would like to represent you. Start by sending out about 4 queries every two to four weeks. This allows you to hopefully get some feedback from agents who reject your work with personalized remarks. These remarks may help you to improve your query.

ORION
07-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I used Agentquery.com and did about 5 to 10 at a time...and then waited...

jannawrites
07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
AgentQuery has been my primary resource, too. I think I'm good with queries for the time being, so now it's time to sit back and try to think of something else... pfft!

:D

ORION
07-09-2008, 08:36 PM
work on your next book...

jannawrites
07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I shouldn't be surprised you've suggested it. :) I've been brainstorming about it, and think I have the premise figured out. But separating myself from this one I'm querying to start the new one seems so difficult. Although, maybe that IS what I need.

Kasey Mackenzie
07-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I shouldn't be surprised you've suggested it. :) I've been brainstorming about it, and think I have the premise figured out. But separating myself from this one I'm querying to start the new one seems so difficult. Although, maybe that IS what I need.

Trust me, it is! =) Hard as it is to do, once you get excited about your next project you aren't counting every little minute waiting in agony to hear back about your current queries. I just went through my latest round on the query-go-round earlier this year, and after taking a break from writing completely (I need these little mini-vacays to recharge my brain), I started working on other projects once I was able. I finally hit the agent jackpot in March (woo hoo!), but while I was waiting for my agent to get back to me with her revision notes, I hopped right back into the latest writing project and that helped me keep my mind (mostly) off the long wait in the meantime.

At any rate, just wanted to chime in with the suggestion for starting the next project. I know how hard it is to wait while those queries are out there, but it really DOES help to work on the next project. Plus, once you DO score that fabulous agent, you will have even MORE awesome projects for them to sell! =)

Oh, and to tie in to the original post, I prefer to send queries out in batches of 4-6, starting with my top-choice agents and working my way down. That way if I become aware of something that needs tweaking I can fix it for the next batch of query letters, but I still have a decent number of letters out there working hard for me. Good luck!

jannawrites
07-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Kasey, so much! It's something to think about a little more seriously.

Best of luck to you!

Sargentodiaz
07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
I use QueryTracker.com as it has a data base where I can keep copies of my queries on a list of agents I want to deal with.

I tend to send out five or six queries at a time. If I don't get positive results, I tweek my query and try five or six more.