New to genre

a_morris

Life long learner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anitamorris.net
I'm looking to write an autobiographical essay for an anthology called "Connecting Online". It will focus on my relationship with my mentor Mark, who was a key part of the first online writing group I joined.

Events:
Joining the group
Foundation of a horror writing zine as a legacy
Mark dies of cancer
The lack of support in my grief

What sort of things should I keep in mind for fleshing this out?

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Life Story has many of the same elements of a story

Hi Anita,

I checked out your blog. It looks like you are an accomplished writer fishing for insights into how to direct your skills towards life writing. It turns out to be a funny transition converting life into story. Finding the story amidst the facts is not an obvious job. But that's what makes any new creative challenge so interesting.

Here are a couple of suggestions. Take the key elements of your experience that you have listed, and write a scenes. Let the reader see for themselves what it was like when you first met the group, or something particularly poignant that Mark said, or your first realization he was sick. What's the ending? Stories don't usually end with death (sorry for your loss), but with life. So what happened at the end to remind you of his legacy, or to punch home the emotion and tie it together.

I hope these comments help. It's easy to offer advice, but of course you're the one that has to do all the work. Good luck to you.

Jerry Waxler