Organizing your collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got about 20 or 30 monthy-issued comics. For awhile the stack was small enough that I was keeping them in FedEx folders because that's what was handy.

But now I want to keep them in a better, more organized manner ... but still compact. What do you guys do?

Any thoughts? I vaguely considered buying plastic sleeves (like for business reports) and keeping them in a binder.

Last edited:

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
You can buy comic boxes for this purposes, which work pretty well. I would suggest keeping them in plastic sleeves to protect from accidental creasing or tearing.

"The Weed of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit!"

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
How many comics do you think can fit in one box? I'm guessing I'd only need one ... but I also have a weird organizational complex that if I have a box, it must be FULL, or nearly so.

Tom Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
I haven't counted, but would imagine 500 easily. That's for the long box. I think you can get short boxes also, though. They're easy for storage, and with the lids on top, you can even stack them if you wish. My main collection is in a large trunk, but I have about 1,500 to 2,000 comics that I keep in boxes and plastic sleeves that I use for swaps.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Tom.

I think I might have to go for a smaller option ... Like I said, I only have about 30 so even one of the smaller boxes might be too large. Really, I need something compact because I'm in transition and moving a lot of stuff around.

I'll look into the Mylar sleeves though. Is there a fallback to using Mylar sleeves versus regular three-hole-punch plastic sleeves? Should I say ... would sheet protectors or plastic sleeves damage the books?

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I have eight long boxes crammed full and they are a b!tch to move. I strongly recommend getting the shorter comic book boxes. If you get the lids then they'll stack well. The plastic bags AND some thin cardboard back boards are heavily recommended as well. It keeps them in good condition and it keeps them from flopping over or bending.

After years of carting my collection around I've learned not to keep the boxes on the floor either. And basements (especially unfinished basements that might flood or have spiders) are not a good place for the comics. If you're gonna slap them on a table, make sure it can take the weight.

Man... what a pain in the @$$ it is to have floppy comics. ^_^ But I love them dearly. May I ask which titles you have in your current pull list? ^_^

-An

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I have accordion folders with a built in elastic to keep them closed, but that's for ones I intend to pull out and read, not for keeping them in good shape.

Tom Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Definitely the Mylar sleeves. As Chimera says, you certainly want to protect your collection, whether for value or out of love. I'm saddened when I see a great old comic in poor shape from being badly treated.

Kalthandrix

Awesomeness on Tap!
Registered
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping them for a collection of some kind, invest in the good bags and boards.

Now, I have a bit over 2.5k worth of comics - all of when are bagged, boarded, and in boxes. A long box will actually only hold about 300-320 (if they have the forementioned protection). I store all of mt older sets and such in the log boxes, while I keep current runs on books I am getting in short boxes for easy access when I get my weekly haul from the LCS.

Last edited:

Wolvel

Write the Damn Book!
Registered
Reaction score
All I have to say is that it's hot, and the guy wi
I use plastic containers that I have added walls to keep the stacks straight.

Definatly use comic book acid free covers.

I have used the containers for years now with good luck. Plus if they are on the floor water and rats cannot get through the plastic easily.

I have over 2500 comics stored this way with no major probelms. And mine range from the late seventies to late ninties.

Status
Not open for further replies.