The One & Only Inktip Super Thread

kevacho

Hello all,

I'm rather new to this forum "thing"... so be gentle. :hug

My question is regarding the website www.inktip.com. Has any screenwriter sold, and or, gotten representation from this site? I have dealt with them before, and they seem both professional and polite. However, I'm beginning to learn that it can be extremely difficult discerning between fact or fraud.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

much thanks...
Kevin
www.kevacho.com :coffee

MrJayVee

INKTIP.COM

The folks at INKTIP seem to be highly regarded. In fact, they might just be the best of the bunch (of that type of service). They claim that many writers have gained representation and/or sold material through their site.

They also have a 30-day money back guarantee. If you're not happy with their service, you get your money back.

Give 'em a shot.

joecalabre

Re: www.inktip.com...

I got my manger through them and although I get a lot of hits and a few requests, I have never gone past that point.

My thing is, if it's worth spending the small amount of money to get your name out there. go for it. If you are late on a car payment, then think twice.

noh1

I think it's a good buy. I've had lots of hits, but it really depends on what genre script you're putting out there. Those emails you get from them, listing leads, is pretty cool.

kevacho

:clap Thank you MrJayVee, joecalabre, and noh1 for your replies and your encouragement.

Live to write... write to live

:coffee ...and don't forget the "joe".

www.kevacho.com

NikeeGoddess

it is a good buy
but you'll soon find that they usually attract a lot of low budget producers and those with many specific requirements.

subscribe to their "preferred" newletter for "what producers are looking for leads" and see if you have what they want. ie - if you're Canadian and write horror or quirky family flicks then you'll fare well.

write on!

AaronB

Anyone here registered with InkTip.com?

I have been considering marketing my script through InkTip.com. It strikes me as being maybe not the place to get a script placed with an A-grade producer, but might be good for finding an agent.

What say you?

(or, for those of us from New Jersey, "What say youse?")

MrJayVee

InkTip.com...

Agents aren't looking at inktip.com. But several prodcos (mostly the lower level variety) visit on a regular basis and some writers have supposedly had some pretty decent success posting there. Just $40 for six months, so it's worth a shot. (Keep in mind Inktip gives a 30-day money back guarantee.) Good luck!

NikeeGoddess

Re: InkTip.com...

you mean you'd turn down a B-list producer that browses at InkTip and may want to buy your script and wait around for an A-list producer from a major studio that you have no access to?! >D

AaronB

InkTip.com

you mean you'd turn down a B-list producer that browses at InkTip and may want to buy your script and wait around for an A-list producer from a major studio that you have no access to?!

Oh no, not at all! I only meant that if you wanted to get a script in the door at DreamWorks, for example, InkTip probably wasn't the way to go. That doesn't mean I'd turn down a B-lister. Honestly, at this point I'm not even on a list, so what choice do I have?

NikeeGoddess

Re: InkTip.com

determine the market for your script: high concept for the studios, off the wall for hollyweird indy, made for network tv, made for cable tv, direct to video, etc....

based on Inktip's newsletter it seems most of their producers want horror, family, edgy indy, or cheap sci fi

write on!

Ron239

An InkTip Listee Weighs In

I've been registered off and on with InkTip for over two years.
Altho' my loglines, resume, synopses and, in one case, full script have been"surfed," so far I've only received one email request to read a script. This was from a so-called manager.
You're getting a lot of wannabe prodcos and wannabe manager types mostly surfing the site. Once in a while you'll see a Carsey-Werner or a legit agent's name pop up. But that seems to be rare.
The great thing about it, though, is that when you see someone has read your logline or synopses or resume, you get a sudden rush of false hope. And that keeps you motivated and writing and pursuing this ridiculous and impossible dream. Anything that gets you to write, in my book, isn't a bad thing.
But even the wannabe prodcos and managers seem to be more concerned with "concepts" than with stories that possess some true emotional basis. Everything Hollywood seems to turn out these days is essentially plastic.

mwc scribe

Re: An InkTip Listee Weighs In

Inktip seems to work best for scripts that can be filmed on a low budget.
_

ananka

inktip

At some point in the last two years I had seven different scripts listed at inktip. Got plenty of "reads" from producers I'd never heard of, and a few I had, plus was asked to send scriots to a manager or two. The consensus seemed to be that since my scripts were all fantasies, they were too expensive to produce.

So I wasted alot of money (from credit cards that I'm STILL paying off!) and I completely forgot that they had a money back option - too late now to call that in, huh?

Recently I checked out their "boasting" page, and they hadn't had a sale or option since August! So, I'd say, sign up if you want, but be realistic. It's still easier to win the lottery than to sell a script, with or without inktip!:\

teddy

Inktip

Just wondering what the verdict is on Inktip? Is it worth placing a scipt there? What is the industry's perception of it?

Last edited:

IWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Teddy it can't hurt, but I'm not sure how much it will help.

The movie business is basically a "push" business and sites like inktip are "pull" technology. What I mean by that is the paradigm for the business is that writers and agents submit projects TO the production companies. A site like inktip requires that producers go to the site and seek out projects.

Most production companies (even smaller ones) are literally inundated with unsolicitied queries and submissions by agents. They have neither the time nor the need to go out on the web looking for screenplays.

And sites like inktip have no vetting process, they will post anything submitted so quality is always a concern, which is one reason that many producers don't want to waste their time with the scripts on sites like these - more often than not, they're bad.

That said, there are some producers who do so. It's usually producers with a) very little or no development money who are looking to option properties for very little or no money so they can then go out to investors. or b) producers who are seeking very specific projects (i.e. a biography of Albert Einstein or a film set in a Bulgaria because they have investors and contacts in Bulgaria.)

Almost all the producers who look for scripts on inktip are independent producers seeking to produce on a low budget (under 5 million). Many are specifically looking for non-Guild writers which often (but not always) means that upfront pay will be very low.

If you do post your work on inktip be sure to check out any producer who contacts you. Anyone can hang out a shingle and call himself a producer. Ask for their credits but also check imdb, google, etc. Also try to negotiate a short time-frame for the option. Options normally range from 6 to 18 months. If they want a 12-month or 18-month option, and they aren't paying you alot for the option - some will only want to pay you a dollar or a couple hundred dollars - offer them a shorter one with an option to renew - but if they renew they will have to pay you more money for the extension. Generally speaking, the more money someone has invested in a project the more motivated they are to make it come to fruition.

Finally, if you decide to post on intip, that does not mean you shouldn't be proactive and query agents and producers. You need to actively be seeking representation and/or a sale.

But before you post, make sure that your script is ready to go.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
I've used them in the past and for $40 bucks it's pretty worthwhile in my opinion. In the six months I had a script up there, I got about a dozen or so requests, some from larger, well respected companies, most from small fish.

Now, if I took that same $40 and used it for postage and envelopes to submit queries (which would be translate about 80 companies) instead, would I have gotten the same amount of read requests?

Maybe. Maybe not. I would hope that any marketing of one's work would be an all encompasing attack, using cold queries, phone calls, pitch meetings, and any web based avenues-- like inktip. Whatever I can afford to spend.

In other words, I wouldn't just do inktip and sit by the phone. I would look at any and all ways of getting my script out there in people's hands.

Good luck.

Joe

Ron239

Registered
Reaction score
Nice people, nice website, but. . .

I've listed a few of my scripts off and on on Inktip over the last few years.
Had a few people progress from sampling the logline to the synopsis and even, in some cases, sampling my resume. In one instance, they sampled the script itself. But have never had any follow-up requests of any kind. They're good scripts, too. In fact, excellent ones.
However, you can list SCRIPT SHORTS for free on the website, and I've
had several requests for scripts off those listings.
While some legit industry people occasionally surf these sites, I believe most of the smaller production companies that feed there are more like "wannabes" than bona fide outfits with legit industry deals. But I could be wrong.

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
Inktip

Has anyone here ever offered or sold a script on Inktip.com? A member of our production group just sold one there (his first) and I've heard of others having good exposure/success. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with the site. www.inktip.com

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't but I heard its a pretty great place with an average of 5 options a month from all the members of course.

YOUNGZERO

so what's better... hollywoodlitsales.com or inktip.com???? They're both practically the same thing right???

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
hollywoodlitsales is free to use. But they do not check to see if the agents and producers are legitimate or have a good sales record.

Inktips costs to post a script if I remember correctly, BUT, they require 2 sales and 3 industry references of which they do check on from the agents and producers. So you don't have the scammers in there looking at your stuff and trying to suck you in.

Hollywood lit is much more open game so you have to be extra careful.

ALWAYS check out every company on either site before sending them stuff, but inktips does have that extra barrier of protection.

Inktips also seems better put together, as it costs to post, they can put more effort into it types.

Reaction score
I really like Inktip.com

If you have a high concept screenplay and you put it up, you will get reads and if it's good you can take the next step.

For $40, you can't go wrong IMO.

As far as "low concept" screenplays are concerned, I don't know.

God jinxed me to only be able to come up with and write high concept.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
At one time, I had three scripts posted on Inktip. I did land a screenwriting manager and optioned one of the scripts (it was a free option-- which stinks-- but to a reputable TV production company). Not much action on the other two scripts, but I do feel it was worthwhile. I've also spoken with the heads of Inktip on the phone about their process... good people, and they have their act together.