Japanese speakers?

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there who speaks Japanese? Ideally, someone bi-cultural would be perfect, but even someone who speaks the language would be great.

I have a YA fantasy set in Tokyo. It's about a human boy who gets involved in a quest. The good guy (or rather, lady) is Kosui-no-Hime, often referred to just as Hime-Sama. The bad guy/s is/are Tai-teki, often just called the enemy or the foe.

Is this acceptable usage?

Thanks!

Heath

Registered
Reaction score
I speak Japanese:

Kosui-no-Hime: Why are you using "no" in a name? And why is "Princess" in the name? I've never heard "Kosui" as a name for a person. This appears to be more of a title than a name.

Hime-Sama: (This comes out as calling someone "Princess." Is that what you're intending?)

Tai-teki: I would not use "teki" as part of the name of a group. If you are going against someone in a competition, battle, etc. you might call them "aite," but calling them "teki" generally is not proper usage.

It's hard to judge for sure without knowing your intended usage in context. In some occasions they might be okay, and wrong in other cases.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

The lady, Kosui-no-Hime is a supernatural being, The Lady of the Lake. She's a powerful and revered protective spirit who is endangered by the loss of a magical object, stolen by Dorobou the thieving tanuki. The quest is to recover the object and return it to her. And yes, it's intended as a title rather than a name.

Would Tai-teki work as a reference to a single enemy? In the first draft, I called him "the Enemy" but felt that was too generic and not appropriate to the mood of the story. He is the antagonist, a Dark Lord kind of character who isn't onstage until right at the end. He's a mysterious supernatural who wants to get the object for its power, or at the very least, block its return to Hime-sama.

If Tai-teki doesn't work, is there another word I could use that means something like Boss (as in the Boss in a video game)?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you were asking about the little round things with Sanyo written on the back.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I speak Japanese:
Kosui-no-Hime: Why are you using "no" in a name?

In high school I went out with a Japanese guy who gave me a nickname with "no" in it: suki-no-ko. Maybe the OP's character name is more of a nickname.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you were asking about the little round things with Sanyo written on the back.

And tweeters and woofers and subwoofers?

Not really.