PDA

View Full Version : Procrastinating? Being a Slug? Well then, slide on in...

dgiharris
07-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Sometimes I write through all hours of the day and night, while other times, I barely pound out a few hundred words per day.

And then there are times like these, where I can barely get myself to punch a key for the sake of my WIP.

I look at the kitchen and notice a trail of slime that starts in the front of the fridge (where I keep the cookies and cream ice cream) then continues across the dining room to the couch where incidentally, is where I'm sitting.

It is then I notice my lack of arms or legs and that the shell on my back is making the couch uncomfortable.

Shell?

When was the last time I wrote a story? Hours, days, a week, a month?
O GOD, I'VE TURNED INTO A SLUG!!!

So, being a slug I thought I would start a thread for fellow slugs to come slink by, share their tales of woe, or just hang out.

So what turned you into a slug?

How are you feeling today slug?

Why are you being a slug?

Inquiring minds want to know.

When was the last time you wrote anything for your WIP or completed a story?

As for me, it's been about 4 days since i've worked on a WIP and i'm starting to get twitchy.

How about you???

p.s. there are 'some' slugs that do in fact have shells. But being a 'snail' is not the same semantic as being a lazy slug, which begs the question, why are slugs considered lazy when snails are just considered slow?

dolores haze
07-08-2008, 07:21 AM
It's only been two days since I worked on my WIP, but I'm feeling like a total slug.

If I haven't gotten back to it within two days I'm giving myself the salt treatment.

With the slugs in the garden I lay out a bowl of beer. They try to drink it, fall in and drown. If the salt doesn't work I will try the beer treatment.

Red-Green
07-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Forgive me, father, for I have slugged. It has been three days since my last word count.

Oy, let's see...what threw me into slugdom? My on-going raccoon battle, the cancellation of my writing workshop, and the fact that they're chopping down the tree outside my office window. Bastards.

Cranky
07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Ah...I have also been terribly sluggish myself. It's been *whispers* about a week since I wrote any new words on my WIP.

My reasons? Summer vacation with the kids. Cranky children, excessive amounts of laundry and bug bites and bumps, bruises, scrapes and scraps. An autie who is very upset with the changes in his routine and having difficulty adjusting.

I'm tired.

And I have a big case of "Ihatethisstoryitis". Whew.

I feel better now. I'm thinking about taking a break from the writing over the summer. It's bound to make me itchy (rather than just feeling guilty) and nudge me into writing once I decide to do that. LOL!

Got some ice cream to share, Mel? :D

VGrossack
07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I screwed up my rhythm last week by writing something besides my WIP. Another problem is that my WIP requires a different type of writing right now, and I always find it difficult to shift. It's been five days since I've reached my 1000 words -- though yesterday was close (859).

Unfortunately, I killed a few snails yesterday - there seems to have been a gathering of them out in the garden - and although I tried to avoid them I accidentally stepped on a few. Hope none of them were your alter egos!

Clair Dickson
07-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm going on day four or five, now? It's hard to say exactly...

But it's not my fault! Well, except for the fact that I've been puttering around on the internet when I do have time to write. But it's more that my great plans to have lots of time to write have been foiled by a computer that won't let me use my Flash Drive. =( I'm blaming that on throwing off my whole rhythm.

But I love the slug analogy. =) I use it myself all the time. Especially the slime trail.

Mystic Blossom
07-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I haven't written anything in like a month, and it's been making me very depressed. Last night I finally wrote a page of the novel I've been meaning to start forever, but being that it was only a page, I still feel annoyed with myself ><

Bubastes
07-08-2008, 07:31 PM
:leaves trail of slime:

I haven't added to my WIP in 10 days. :(

I don't cut myself any slack. No excuses for me.

Tasmin21
07-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I haven't written anything on my WIP in about 6 days, but it's mostly because the Real Job(tm) is sucking my will to live at the moment. I should be ok next week.

MsJudy
07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I skipped a day, but it hurt. So I made myself sit at the computer and type randomly for ten minutes without stopping. That got me thinking again, and by the end of the day the chapter was finished.

Wash off the slime, people! Or we'll get out the salt!

Phaeal
07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I've turned into a giant roach, but that's cool. Roaches are industrious.

VGrossack
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I've turned into a giant roach, but that's cool. Roaches are industrious.

Are you thinking of Kafka?

Phaeal
07-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Are you thinking of Kafka?

Always and immer. ;) T'is my fate.

Reilly616
07-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Don't wory! It's all fine, you're not a slug!!! You said you have a shell... that makes you a snail :)

dgiharris
07-10-2008, 04:36 AM
Don't wort! It's all fine, you're not a slug!!! You said you have a shell... that makes you a snail :)

You know, I had to google it, there are some slugs with shells (smaller versions than snails).

This got me to thinking, why are slugs considered lazy when snails are not?

You never hear, "Are you being a lazy snail?"
Shouldn't calling someone a lazy snail be just as good as calling someone a lazy slug?

`You also never hear anyone say, "You're as slow as a slug"

hmmm.... interesting how language and semantics work.

But today is the end of my slug-dom. I've restarted my WIP!!!
Hopefully I got all the slime outta my system, enough so I can finish and send off this week.

Mel...

Reilly616
07-10-2008, 05:16 AM
You know, I had to google it, there are some slugs with shells (smaller versions than snails).

This got me to thinking, why are slugs considered lazy when snails are not?

You never hear, "Are you being a lazy snail?"
Shouldn't calling someone a lazy snail be just as good as calling someone a lazy slug?

`You also never hear anyone say, "You're as slow as a slug"

hmmm.... interesting how language and semantics work.

But today is the end of my slug-dom. I've restarted my WIP!!!
Hopefully I got all the slime outta my system, enough so I can finish and send off this week.

Mel...

Congradulations on restarting. Damn you for googling :D

HopelessDreamer
07-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I've barely written anything in well over two months. Actually, I just started again. I tend to go on these writing hiatuses every once in awhile, and it drives me insane. The worst part is that we obviously have the power to stop it, we just choose not to. I was actually complaining to my mother on the phone the other day about how I hadn't written anything in a really long time. She just laughed and said: "Oh, come on. For you, 'a really long time' is three months. I haven't done any creative writing in over twenty years". Then I realized that maybe I wasn't as lazy as I thought I was. As long as you don't go overboard with not writing so that you lose all the skill and drive you've honed for so long, it's annoying but not irreparable. We all get streaks of indolence.

MsJudy
07-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Why do they eat snails but not slugs?

Alpha Echo
07-21-2008, 09:33 PM
So what turned you into a slug?

How are you feeling today slug?

Why are you being a slug?

Inquiring minds want to know.

When was the last time you wrote anything for your WIP or completed a story?

Well, I've turned into a slug due to my personal circumstances. I just want to curl up into a ball of self-pity and depression. Call it dramatic or selfish or whatever, but it's what I've needed lately.

Today...I'm trying to get better. I'm going to try to leave work this afternoon, run the errands I need to run, and go home and work on my query letter.

The last time I wrote anything for my WIP was on Friday, when I wrote my horrible, rough query letter and put it on the SYW forum. I had time this weekend, mainly Sunday, yet I did nothing.

I am going to do my best to take advantage of my time off Wednesday and Thursday. I'll be knocked out for part of it (in the hospital Wednesday morning), but I'm hoping Thursday I'll be able to do something. I need to get my query letter and synopsis going and do some agent research (again...*sigh*).

Saundra Julian
07-21-2008, 11:50 PM
My kitty getting cancer put a halt to my writing...

MsJudy
07-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Alpha, Saundra,

You are not guilty of slugginess when you are dealing with one of life's little presents. You ARE writing. You are soaking up experience, no matter how painful, and when life settles down and you can pick up a pen again, your work will be that much better for the knowledge you've gained.

It sucks, but the curse of art is that suffering feeds the fire.

Take care of yourselves.
Judy

dgiharris
07-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi Alpha,

I hope your hospital visit goes o.k. and that everything works out. I know how those types of stresses can zap your strength for writing.

Saundra,

Sorry about the cat. Hopefully, this event doesn't drain all of it's nine lives.

Red-Green
07-30-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm bumping this baby back up, because I'm hoping someone will give me a compelling prod to fire up the Query Machine. I've been going great guns writing on a new project, but the book I'm querying is currently stagnant with a query and a full out. I know I can't just wait to hear back on those, but it's so fricking hard to make myself go back to agent research and querying, in no small part because I've already been rejected by my top ten agents.

Blondchen
07-31-2008, 05:22 AM
OK, Red. Haven't you only sent like 10 queries? Come on, that's like an hour's work for me and Soccer Mom. KICK IT INTO GEAR!

joyce
07-31-2008, 05:59 AM
I've been so bad about writing I think I've turned into slug slime. My second novel has the query all ready and primed, having survived query hell in SYW. That was two months ago. My novel is in the last round of edits, with approximately 60 pages left to do. The corrections have been made on a hard copy, I just need to type them in. Sad, I know.

I think my problem is that I like my second one, but then again I don't like it. It's not me. It's not a bad story, I just feel like someone other than myself was telling it. My first one was all me and got bites and nibbles but no takers. I think in trying to be less controversial and conform, I lost something of myself. Every agent I got rejected from on my first one said my novel was too controversial for a first-time author. I never knew exactly what areas they were talking about, but I have ideas.

My slug problem came when I realized I'd lost my own voice in this second attempt. I'm trying to get back on the horse and have started a third. This one will once again be all me. I don't know what I'll do with the second. I really need to finish those last pages and at least send out the query letters. I'm a loser.:Shrug:

I hate being a slug!:D

Alpha Echo
07-31-2008, 06:06 AM
I actually sent out an equery for my new book! And I started back at the beginning of my WIP with the intention of finishing it...not today but to begin finishing it I guess I should say.

But things went back downward for me today. I was reminding of reality and it's not good. But I want to write. Right now, aside from my God, it's pretty much all I have.

dgiharris
07-31-2008, 06:39 AM
I've been so bad about writing I think I've turned into slug slime. My second novel has the query all ready and primed, having survived query hell in SYW. That was two months ago. My novel is in the last round of edits, with approximately 60 pages left to do. The corrections have been made on a hard copy, I just need to type them in. Sad, I know.

I think my problem is that I like my second one, but then again I don't like it. It's not me. It's not a bad story, I just feel like someone other than myself was telling it. My first one was all me and got bites and nibbles but no takers. I think in trying to be less controversial and conform, I lost something of myself. Every agent I got rejected from on my first one said my novel was too controversial for a first-time author. I never knew exactly what areas they were talking about, but I have ideas.

My slug problem came when I realized I'd lost my own voice in this second attempt. I'm trying to get back on the horse and have started a third. This one will once again be all me. I don't know what I'll do with the second. I really need to finish those last pages and at least send out the query letters. I'm a loser.:Shrug:

I hate being a slug!:D

Hey Joyce,

first I would say a big congrats on finishing a book. WOW! I hope to be you next year.

The second thing I would add is how many agents did you go through on that first pass?

There is a difference between someone saying, "This book doesn't work" vs "This is too contraversial for a new author"

that second statement is a red herring. The only thing that 'should' matter is if it is a good book. Everything else comes second (IMO).

Maybe the fix is for you to write another book, get it published, then you won't be a new author and then you can get that first book published :)

Anyways, I know, it's no fun being a slug.

and by the way, you are far from a loser. :)

Mel...

Maui Author
07-31-2008, 06:50 AM
I just found this thread - glad I did! I'm a slug. My WIP is stagnant at 30,000 words - and has been around then since May. I worked on it a bit this week, but I know it needs a lot of work and I just don't have the drive at the moment.

As for what turned me into a slug - I think its waiting on the replies from the agents. I know that if I got a positive reponse, my fingers would fly on the key board because I would be inspired. But the crickets I keep hearing cause me to be slugish.

Harpo
07-31-2008, 07:09 AM
I just finished the first very rough draft of a story which turned me from bunny rabbit crapping prolifically to dead slug drying in the sun. I barely soldiered through 500 words a day, and they were not very good words and I kept lapsing into Hemingway-like rambling. (Don't read A Moveable Feast if you're susceptible to stylistic influence.) I am afraid to look at the story now to revise it so I am writing some humor, which is the biggest salted dried dead decaying slug subject ever created, for me. I spent about ten hours total getting a first draft of a 700-word piece. Will it never stop?

Blondchen
07-31-2008, 07:21 AM
Maui,

I've slugged out at 33,000. Things aren't developing quite as I'd hoped and with this neverending cold plus the circus plus a wrap, I haven't touched it in a few weeks. Well that and I have this other idea, totally out of genre for me, that's taking up my imaginative energies at the moment.

I wish I was more focussed. Just in general.

Red-Green
07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Baby steps, my slugglings. Okay, yesterday I sent off three queries to stop my decline into sluggliness, but then one bounced back as undeliverable. Grrrr! So, my goal for today is another three. And then another three tomorrow and then.

So, what are we going to do today, Slugs? The same thing we do every day...try to take over the world.

Maui Author
07-31-2008, 10:03 PM
I feel exactly the same way!!

Maui,

I've slugged out at 33,000. Things aren't developing quite as I'd hoped and with this neverending cold plus the circus plus a wrap, I haven't touched it in a few weeks. Well that and I have this other idea, totally out of genre for me, that's taking up my imaginative energies at the moment.

I wish I was more focussed. Just in general.

III
07-31-2008, 10:12 PM
I have soooo been a slug for the last month. I think I've only written about 4k words which is a low for the past two years. But I'm going to write tonight! Oh yes I will, Mr. Mel Slugpants! Salt me not!

Red-Green
07-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Is this our new rallying cry? I'm going to write/query tonight! Salt me not!

I have soooo been a slug for the last month. I think I've only written about 4k words which is a low for the past two years. But I'm going to write tonight! Oh yes I will, Mr. Mel Slugpants! Salt me not!

dgiharris
08-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Get to work harpo, Blondchen, III and Red or ELSE!!!!

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc326/dgiharris/slugsalt.jpg

Mel...

roncouch
08-01-2008, 06:24 AM
At least I know what I am, at times. A slug - argh. Tonight I added four words to my WIP. If that doesn't qualify me for slugdom, I don't know what will.

dgiharris
08-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I just found this thread - glad I did! I'm a slug. My WIP is stagnant at 30,000 words - and has been around then since May. I worked on it a bit this week, but I know it needs a lot of work and I just don't have the drive at the moment.

As for what turned me into a slug - I think its waiting on the replies from the agents. I know that if I got a positive reponse, my fingers would fly on the key board because I would be inspired. But the crickets I keep hearing cause me to be slugish.

Hey Maui,

Here's a suggestion. Why not try your hand writing a short story to break it up some? You could crank one out in a week, polish it up, and submit to a few places, that would at least get your writing blood flowing and get you something in the pipeline to look forward to. May also help you spice things up, you know, like taking a break from your wife to have a fling with a cute little tart secretary. Just, don't let your manuscript find out about it! :)

Mel...

Red-Green
08-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Is that how the short story thing is supposed to work? I guess I've been doing it wrong :D

You could crank one out in a week, polish it up, and submit to a few places

dgiharris
08-02-2008, 07:21 PM
You could crank one out in a week, polish it up, and submit to a few places, :)

Mel...
Is that how the short story thing is supposed to work? I guess I've been doing it wrong :D

Well, that was a short short. Something under a eighthundred words.

Normally, i'd say a short story takes me about 2-3 wks to get ready for submission. The one the I have posted in the Mainstream forum right now took me 2 - 3 wks.

But I just adjusted for his studly-ness as most authors on this sight are better writers than I (no sarcasm intended, very serious about that statement.)

Mel...

dgiharris
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Why do they eat snails but not slugs?

You know, that is a good question. Especially since most slugs don't have shells, it would make them easier to cook don' t ya think?

Wonder if slugs and snails taste the same or similar?

Mel...

Blondchen
08-02-2008, 11:20 PM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

mario_c
08-04-2008, 05:44 AM
You know, that is a good question. Especially since most slugs don't have shells, it would make them easier to cook don' t ya think?

Wonder if slugs and snails taste the same or similar?

Mel...I like popping 'em out of the shell, don't you? It's like cracking a crab or lobster open.

Anyway, I lived as a slug for many years - wasting time in meaningless pursuits, stockpiling drafts and notes and never doing anything with 'em. Now I'm about to turn 40, working a job I can't stand, starting fresh as a writer and an outsider. I never want to watch opportunities die before my eyes again, because my parents told me to do this, because my boss told me to do that... NEVER AGAIN.

I guess late 30s brings that sense of resolve - you are no longer young, you are no longer invited to parties, and you need to fight for those things in life you want. I don't mean work yourself to death - you need a slug day to go dancing, watch movies or read books related to your WIP, experience life and other people. At least your writing will suck if you don't, not to mention your life in general. But time is more valuable than money at this point. I value my time like I never have. And I value my writing so much, and I want others to value it too. That's what matters to me the most.

On that note, I should really open up my WIP(s)...

payitforward
08-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, we've had 15+ days of 90 degree heat here in Denver. To some of you, that's cool, I'm sure, but for us here in the mile-high city, it's scorching, and so has turned me into a slug. Unfortunately, I threw salt over my shoulder for good luck the other day, but forgot my new state of slugdom, and so started drying up immediately. Ahhh, somebody save me from this salty, dry, less than 300 hundred words a day hell....

speirbhean
08-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Can I join please? Just slugged it out for 6 MONTHS. Trying to slide back into gear now though... feel free to kick me on the August 500 words a day thread in the Thriller forum!!!

circlexranch
08-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Hi Gang! Just thought I'd slime on in here and proclaim myself Slug Queen. My two WIPs have languished for over a year. I've had to cash some serious reality checks to keep our family business afloat and to defend it against a lawsuit. I've probably written 100000 words in motions and legal briefs in the last two years and in a way that counts, cuz, I've gotten published where it can really count, as in the judge quoting you in his opinion in your favor.

However, I am also feeling strangled in a creative sense and it is slopping over into my professional life. What roused me out of my slugdom was getting word that the novella I've had under contract with Mundania for over a year had finally made it to editing. Still no publication date, but it woke me out of my stupor.

I pullled out the WIPs and discovered I had 30k words in one and most of those words didn't suck. A lot of them are in the wrong order and need to have more words to keep them company [I tend toward a very terse style], but it is a solid tale. It is far too linear and lacking in plot twists. However, I have ideas for a couple of character subplots and, in general, just need to liven the whole thing up.

I've been toying with a query and working on an exercise recommended by a high-falutin agent. The exercise is to reduce your novel to three sentences for the query letter. My three sentences are:

Every prosecutor in a murder trial knows the dead are often your best witnesses. Leo Jackson puts this to the test when finds the ghost of his victim sitting in his office. At _________ words, HABEUS CORPUS is a legal thriller with a paranormal twist.

So, in an attempt to shake off my slugdom, before I go to bed tonight, I pledge to clip the first scene off the first chapter and expand it into a proper prologue. So, you with the salt shaker, I've escaped you for the moment!

circlexranch
08-05-2008, 08:16 AM
WOO HOO! I cranked out 150 words this evening. A tiny crack in the massive wall of writer's block I've suffered for months.

Red-Green
08-05-2008, 03:56 PM
[puts away salt shaker]

Way to go, Terri. That's good progress.

soleary
08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
My dog ate my query.

KIDDING.

Let's unslug today! All of us! I have written every day, but haven't loved all of it. Today, it is going to be a LOVEFEST!

circlexranch
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Not really Redzilla, but 150 is better than the big fat ZERO I'd produced in the previous year. I reworked the next two chapters last night and my overall goal is to revise and expand the entire 30K WIP into at least 40K in the next couple of weeks.

I have put a salt shaker next to my computer to help remind me to keep going and not 'slug out' before I reach my goal. Great thread, really helped me get moving again!

dgiharris
08-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Glad you are starting to get unstuck Terri.

I find that just sitting down in front of the computer and typing a few keys is enough to get me writing again.

It's the-- getting my big slug butt down in front of the computer -- that is the problem.

Anyways, good luck, you can do it.

Mel...

Shadow_Ferret
08-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I slugged for the better part of this year. But more than that, I've been slugging my entire life away. Not sure why, fear of rejection, fear of failure, fear of success, fear of fear... But I started this little jaunt back when I was 14 or 15-years-old, started submitting almost immediately, but then a trend started. I'd write furiously for a few years, submit, submit, submit, get rejected, distracted or depressed and stop writing or taking it seriously, years would go by, I'd start writing, submitting, getting dejected, slugging, then writing...

It's why after all these years I've only got a few short stories to show for it, two payments.

Now I'm all depressed again.

Somehow I need to get off this procrastination cycle.

Blondchen
08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
The Olympics have totally screwed me. I sat in front of my laptop for five hours last night...and didn't write a word.

MsJudy
08-10-2008, 10:44 PM
There's slugging, and then there are times when Not Writing is better than writing.

I wrote most of a first draft a year ago, then got stuck. totally stuck. I tried to keep going, made myself work on it every day for two months and only made it worse. Finally I gave up, set it aside and worked on a new project, which is now finished and being queried.

So, back to the old one. For the past three weeks or so, I haven't written a word. I've been reading, and sending out query letters, and critting other people's stuff, and thinking, but not writing.

Then, suddenly, poof! I feel like writing again. A few words are there. I sit down and start a new beginning. Piece by piece, little by little. And suddenly, I see what I've been missing for a year. The big picture is there, clear as day, and I know exactly what this book is going to be about.

Sometimes it takes time and patience to get to where you need to go. Celebrate your slugginess!

Polenth
08-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Sometimes it takes time and patience to get to where you need to go. Celebrate your slugginess!

I prefer being a snail, because you can't beat having a shell.

MsJudy
08-11-2008, 06:10 AM
I prefer being a snail, because you can't beat having a shell.

Well, yes, but I think more people step on snails because they make that nice, satisfying crunch.

Polenth
08-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Well, yes, but I think more people step on snails because they make that nice, satisfying crunch.

People are mean... :e2cry:

*snuggles snails*

dgiharris
08-12-2008, 05:15 AM

I feel so guilty when I step on a snail.

It's not like they can move out of the way.

dgiharris
08-12-2008, 05:20 AM
Somehow I need to get off this procrastination cycle.

Are you reading? I find that a decent book gets me back in the writing swing of things.

That, and I have a few books by James Patterson. For some reason, I can't stand his writing. Everyone loves him, I think he is a hack.

So, when I start to get down, I grab his lakehouse, read a few paragraphs, then throw the book away in disgust, recharge, and jump back into the fray.

Also, you should own a couple of 'writer's movie'.

Finding Forester
Freedom Writers
Dead Poets Society
Stranger than Fiction
Just Write
Secret Window

For me, watching a movie about writing or writers inspires me. Lastly, try joining a writer's group. I find being surrounded by like people is a very powerful reinforcer for getting your muse musing again.

good luck

Mel...

MsJudy
08-12-2008, 08:18 AM
I feel so guilty when I step on a snail.

It's not like they can move out of the way.

I agree. But my boys don't. It's so disgusting.

KikiteNeko
08-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm supposed to be writing, but my brain is dead.

I wrote my first novel a while back, and it took me from about October of '07 to February of '08 to complete, doing little else. Sent it to agents, got no bites, though one agent was interested in my next idea. I wrote my second novel from March '08 to June '08, and had an agent by July. My agent wanted 20 story ideas and titles. That took about a week or two. And now I'm supposed to have three chapters of a new WIP by the end of September, and I've done.... nada.

I'm tired :(

shakeysix
08-12-2008, 06:08 PM
all i want to do is write new stuff for days on end or edit old stuff day after day after day. whatever i start on any given morning is what i will do for the next 3-7 days. switching tasks in one day would make sense --a couple of hours for editing, a couple for queries, a couple for that new story. i can't do that. i burn myself out on one task and then i veg before i go on to something else.

and it's not just the writing. i don't clean for a week and then i clean for days straight. i don't do yard work for a couple of weeks, then i weed and mow and do it all in a day. school starts tomorrow--well, teacher's meetings, do. i have brand new textbooks. do you think i cracked my new books over the summer? nope. have not looked at more than the cover. the kids file in on monday at 8 a.m. so it will be solid teacher stuff for the next week. then it will be slug days until i recover and move on to something else. no matter what i try i cannot break this pattern--s6

dgiharris
08-12-2008, 07:17 PM
...no matter what i try i cannot break this pattern--s6

We have an OCD Slug!!!!

Wow, what a combo!!!

In terms of breaking the pattern. It is a very flippant thing for me to say, but the best way to break a pattern is to well-- break it.

I think you have gotten into the 'habit' of doing things when you feel like it, or when your OCD drives you to do it.

You need to develop the habit of doing things when you don't feel like it. Kinda like training yourself as if you were one of Pavlov's dogs.

Perhaps 'force' yourself to do those simple, lower brain order activities and basically just try to get yourself into the 'habit' of doing stuff when you don't feel like it.

Perhaps reward yourself with something naughty like cookies and cream ice cream or a movie. Treat yourself like one of your students :) with a negative / positive consequence <=> rewards type reinforcement system.

I know, it's easier said than done.

And just so you know, I'm a fellow OCD Slug ;)

Mel...

shakeysix
08-12-2008, 08:03 PM
ya know, once, back in the archaic times--mid eighties-- a shrink told me just about the same thing. have not thought of that for years. consistently nuckin' futz over the decades --that's me--shakey

Broadswordbabe
08-13-2008, 01:22 AM
I promised myself, and various other people, that I'd finish my rewrite on the last novel by the end of August.

I am up to my neck in metaphorical mud. I am finding it terribly, terribly hard to care. The new novel is just more fun. That, I can work on - but the one I need to be working on?

Sludge. And glue. And other mobility-reducing stickiness.

Help. I am not just a slug, I am a slug in porridge.

dgiharris
08-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey Babe,

A slug in porridge. Wow, that is pretty bad. Hmmmm.... How to rescue you?

Well, Like I said above, everything is habit. I think one of the habits that I try to avoid is the infatuation that accompanies a new story.

Granted, i'm just a short story writer for the time being, so not sure how well this advice applies to you novelists,

But i've found that I have different types of 'energy'. For simple terms i'll just list a few,

New Story Idea energy
-- this type of energy I make sure to use only on new stories, typically only first drafts.

Revising/editing energy
-- this usually is when I need to write but am not feeling creative in the least.

Polishing energy
-- this is when i'm in my 'submission' mode

I think a lot of writers train themselves to ONLY write when they are feeling creative. I think the trick is that you've got to train yourself for all the different writing circumstances. Especially for the HARDEST part of writing which is the actual finishing of a story.

Anyways, not to tell you something you already know. But commit to your goal. My rule is that if I write a goal down, then I must try my damnedest to complete that goal because I don't want to train myself not to do what I tell myself I will do.

If you told yourself you will finish by end of August, then whip yourself into getting it done by any means necessary. Otherwise, when you set goals in the future, deep down you will know that you don't really have to try that hard, in otherwords, you will invalidate all of your future goals if you can't meet your present goals. That is, your own goals will start to become meaningless to you, you won't feel any pressure to complete them because deep down you know you will let yourself off the hook.

o.k. sorry for the preachy babbling. Not sure if that is enough to get you out of the porridge.

Speaking of, what the hell is porridge? I mean, I know what it is, (slop in a bowl) but we don't have that here in the States. We have oatmeal, grits, and cream of wheat. Is porridge a type of oatmeal?

Mel..

Broadswordbabe
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
:) Thanks Mel!

I'm feeling a little better because I did some work on it before the day job this morning (normally the time reserved for the new book). I think maybe that's what I need to do for now - use the early-morning period, which is a higher-energy one at the moment, for the rewrite, and save the new book for evenings.

As to porridge - it's oatmeal. Hot. Cooked with milk or water, with honey/cream/butter/sugar/apple sauce/raisins/cinnamon/golden syrup to taste. (All of 'em on a bad day).

Red-Green
08-13-2008, 08:49 PM
It's okay, Tomo. I'm in the opposite situation. I got a hundred new ideas, but no agent :D

I'm supposed to be writing, but my brain is dead.

I wrote my first novel a while back, and it took me from about October of '07 to February of '08 to complete, doing little else. Sent it to agents, got no bites, though one agent was interested in my next idea. I wrote my second novel from March '08 to June '08, and had an agent by July. My agent wanted 20 story ideas and titles. That took about a week or two. And now I'm supposed to have three chapters of a new WIP by the end of September, and I've done.... nada.

I'm tired :(

marie2
08-15-2008, 03:45 AM
I am guilty as charged. I declare myself temporary Queen of Slugs for I have slugged since I finished my novel in March. I have just an idea of what I want to do next but I am too scared to jump into it.

Why? As someone before me said it's a mixture of self-pity, depression, lack of faith, the death of my dog... to name a few. My first novel was less than stellar and hence why it got a less than stellar response from the agenting world. I tweaked it until it was blotchy red, but still no takers.

Now I am thinking of an entirely new story. I only have two characters, a possible setting and the genre. Nothing is set on paper yet. I am hoping to get off my lazy bum soon enough.

Fillanzea
08-15-2008, 05:55 AM
On Tuesday I didn't write anything because I didn't know what happened next.
On Wednesday I went to Big & Nameless, picked up a book for research, and got home too late to feel like writing anything.
I was soooo determined to write tonight but I spent three hours trying to get home in a downpour and all I wanted to do was have a hot bath and a hot sandwich and NOT write.

dgiharris
08-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Hey fellow slugs,

Didn't write one stinking word yesterday. Ugg!!! But I will get back to it tonight. Wanted to finish a story I was working on for my writers group tomorrow.

FOr you stuck novelists.

How about trying your hand at a short story. A Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am. No commentment just quick adolescent fun. That might help you get unstuck. Writing a quick 1000 or 2000 word story shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, your writing juices are flowing. And best of all, when you are done, you can fire that puppy off to the submission gods and who knows, maybe you get a nibble?

What do you think?

Anyways, it's hard work being a slug.

Well, actually, on second thought, I guess it's not so hard.

Mel...

Ganymede
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I swear, I am going to have to check into rehab once the Olympics are over, the withdrawl is going to hurt that much.

("First it was just the main events. You know. Track and field, basketball, gymnastics... But then my friend gave me a hit of table tennis and open water swimming, and I was hooked. And then came softball. I can't even talk about the softball, man. Started staying up all night watching these crazy events in live action. Then I started Googling the players and reading their bios...")

I was piddling around before they started, and now I haven't written squat since the opening ceremony.

FOr you stuck novelists.

How about trying your hand at a short story. A Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am. No commentment just quick adolescent fun. That might help you get unstuck. Writing a quick 1000 or 2000 word story shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, your writing juices are flowing. And best of all, when you are done, you can fire that puppy off to the submission gods and who knows, maybe you get a nibble?

What do you think?

I wish I could write short stories. I can count on one hand the number of short stories I've attempted in life. I don't have a clue how to write them. Sound as stupid as asking for an instruction manual to figure out how to sit in a chair, but it's true. The great short story writers just slay me. I'd love to be able to do that, but sometimes I think it's not in the cards. Don't know if that's something a person can learn to do, or if it's an innate talent that can't be learned -- only perfected.

shakeysix
08-22-2008, 12:56 AM
as predicted i am totally caught up in school stuff. have not looked at any of my novels for a couple of weeks, have left two stories hanging, only a couple of pages from the end. still, aren't you glad that i am the one teaching your kids and not some nut who is only thinking about his writing?--s6

Red-Green
08-22-2008, 01:56 AM
That's why I gave up teaching :D I've been slugging this week, too, even though I have two stories I'm really excited about. I'm just bogged down at work and tired of my house being a mess. (Thanks, Hubby. Wish you were still out of town.)

still, aren't you glad that i am the one teaching your kids and not some nut who is only thinking about his writing?--s6

MsJudy
08-22-2008, 04:11 AM
as predicted i am totally caught up in school stuff. have not looked at any of my novels for a couple of weeks, have left two stories hanging, only a couple of pages from the end. still, aren't you glad that i am the one teaching your kids and not some nut who is only thinking about his writing?--s6

Yep, me too. Man, I forget how demanding those little rugrats can be.

triceretops
08-22-2008, 05:58 AM
I think I'm suffering from frikin' burnout. I've completed eight books in three years and haven't sold one of them to a major via my agent. Not yet at any rate--only three of them to small press PODS, which is pretty damn close to non-publication, in my opinion. I'm currently stuck on page 80 of book # nine and wondering why the hell I'm doing this. Doubts have really crept in lately. The past two weeks have garnered only 4,000 words and that is really off the mark for me. It's terrible. I don't even won't to go back to it, and I'm afraid to subject it to a beta reader.

Stuck in stasis.

Tri

Dragonfly45
08-22-2008, 08:03 AM
I have been being a slug lately. Part of this is due to the fact that I have a few good ideas for a new WIP, but none of them is jumping out as "the one." So, I've thought about starting all three and seeing which one ousts the other. But...I think the real reason I haven't started is because I HAVE started subbing my new completed to agents, and I know it's crazy, but something about starting the new one makes me feel like I'm getting it ready in case this one doesn't take off.

Yeah, yeah...I know I need to start either way so that if this one gets picked up, I'll have something else on the cooker and ready to go. But I don't know...does that make sense to anyone else in a twisted sort of only writers who have been rejected a lot can understand kind of way?

But I have done some character profiles, so I guess that's something!

Tasmin21
08-22-2008, 05:49 PM
I think I wrote a grand total of 84 words yesterday. And that was one of my good days. *sigh*

I think I may be trying to stick something into Muse that doesn't want to go there, hence the difficulty, but...meh. That's what first drafts are for, right? If I can just muscle past this, things will free up again. Maybe.

MKL1025
08-22-2008, 07:15 PM
I think I wrote a grand total of 84 words yesterday. And that was one of my good days. *sigh*

I think I may be trying to stick something into Muse that doesn't want to go there, hence the difficulty, but...meh. That's what first drafts are for, right? If I can just muscle past this, things will free up again. Maybe.

That's exactly how I've been feeling lately! I'm about halfway done with a new YA I've been working on. At times I feel as though I'm just pushing through it and knocking out total crap, but I figure the sure-to-be-magical revisions will fix it all. Right? Right?

bylinebree
08-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I think I'm suffering from frikin' burnout. I've completed eight books in three years and haven't sold one of them to a major via my agent. Not yet at any rate--only three of them to small press PODS, which is pretty damn close to non-publication, in my opinion. I'm currently stuck on page 80 of book # nine and wondering why the hell I'm doing this. Doubts have really crept in lately. The past two weeks have garnered only 4,000 words and that is really off the mark for me. It's terrible. I don't even won't to go back to it, and I'm afraid to subject it to a beta reader.

Stuck in stasis.

Tri

I sympathize... I am not burnt out, but am kind of stuck on a chapter in my second book. (It will come, it will come eventually)

Thoughts: Could you need a new agent? Are you writing in the right genre? see www.LindaRohrbough.com (http://www.LindaRohrbough.com), I just attended a workshop she presented]

If both of these are still Ok, hang in there and keep trying. Do NOT give up totally, but a break is always in order in the case of BurnOut.

You could try writing something completely different than what you've been doing...Or discipline yourself only to read, or to go somewhere you've never been before on a day trip...more of giving your creative self that break. Set a number of days that you will NOT WRITE & it might renew you.

Just suggestions...

Red-Green
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
That sucks, Tri. I sometimes feel like I'm in a holding pattern as I look at the books I've written that I didn't find an agent for, and start to get the creeping fear I won't find an agent for the one I'm pimping out now. Ugh. I'm glad it's Friday.

Blondchen
08-22-2008, 08:28 PM

But maybe they were 84 KICK ASS words? I cranked through about 950 yesterday but looking back, I think maybe only 84 of them are any good...

Tasmin21
08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I so wanted to be done with this first draft by the end of August, and it's just not going to happen, and I'm rather depressed about it. (because somehow, finishing it on September 4th or 5th just isn't as good?)

I'm a neurotic mess.

CharlieBabbitt
08-22-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm jealous. 950 words or 84 words -- way ahead of me. I'm a total slug. I think I've read every single post on AW in the last week and a half. Anything to keep from starting book 2 in my series. I've sent out queries, partials and fulls and all I can manage to do is hit the send/receive button every five minutes (between trips to the mailbox and sneaking Hostess cupcakes).

I've read my completed ms. nine hundred times. I'm down to debating the use of prepositions. Does one pull into a driveway or onto a driveway?

Dragonfly45
08-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Charlie-- LOL! I have totally been there when I've read my manuscript so many times I start rethinking the simplest things. That's when you slowly step away...

dgiharris
08-23-2008, 06:06 AM
I've actually been slugging my submissions lately.

Just finished story # 3 in my 10 story goal by the end of September. I have three stories but I'm so freaking tired of submitting. Lately, all of the places i've been submitting to have just closed down their windows for submissions (DESPITE WHAT THEIR CALENDARS SAID THEY WOULD DO!!!) slackers!!!

The biggest problem I have, is that many of my stories don't fit into nice neat little boxes. They are humor stories and I keep getting replies that state "Funny, loved it, sorry, isn't for us..." UGG!!!!

So after several of those, i'm now slugging my submissions. Maybe I'll wait until I get five stories done, and go out, guns blazing with 20 submissions at once. :guns:TAKE THAT!!!!:guns:

*sigh*

I'm such a slug. Instead of trying to find a home for my babies, i've forced them to slum in a purgatory orphanage.

Other slug related news. The Olympics is a curse. I've stayed up way too many nights till past midnight watching the Olympics instead of writing. I should be on Story 5 or 6 by now, but the stupid Olympics!!! I can't not watch it. How in the hell is Badmaton exciting? Why in god's name am I staying up to watch platform diving. Speaking of which, the Chinese divers are not human. They are virtual computer animated constructs. It is insane how good they are.

Charlie, when you start debating every single preposition, it's time for some beer, and lots of it.

Mel...

StephanieRose
08-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Wow! I'm new to AW and I'm so glad I found this forum.

I've been a lazy slug lately when it comes to finishing a set of short stories. I even have a submission deadline on 9/1 and I'm still messing around.

dgiharris
09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Why is it that when I have time off, I get LESS writing done than during my normal schedules!!!

UGGGGG!!!!!!!!!! I hate being a slug. Got barely an hour's worth of writing done this entire 3-day weekend. WTF?

But I have some time off this week. Maybe, i'll just pretend that i'm just coming home from work. Gotta trick this slug brain of mine.

Mel...

triceretops
09-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Oh, Suggo has been a good friend of mine lately. The last three weeks I've averaged 2,000 words per, and that's totally screwed for me. That's a slug pace. Last night I splashed 1,500, taking me out of that rut. I'll no doubt beat my week's average this time, but I'm not sure how long I'll keep that (normal) pace up. A story without a plot is like a town without pity. Hense, goes I.

Tri

NicoleMD
09-06-2008, 10:54 AM
UGGGGG!!!!!!!!!! I hate being a slug.

Huh? Being a slug is where it's at! You must be doing it wrong. ;)

Slug Love, people. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudibranch)

Nicole

Red-Green
09-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Okay, I'm kinda slugging. I'm sitting here looking at my agent submission list. I've got 25 agents on my list that I haven't yet submitted to. I've got the addresses, the details, the whole shebang. I need to start sending, but I don't want to. I'm going to take a walk. While I'm gone, somebody post something scathing that will make me want to submit when I get back. Okay?

Blondchen
09-06-2008, 08:41 PM
:whip:

Snap to it!

Shara
09-06-2008, 08:41 PM
I am a slug and have been so for several weeks now.

I don't even think there are excuses. I'm just in one of those funks when nothing about writing is fun, I dread doing it, I do anything to avoid sitting at the computer and even when I'm there I'm emailing or surfing the net (or looking at AW!), anything to avoid actually doing any writing.

Shara

triceretops
09-07-2008, 12:10 AM
So far: 5,000 words for this week and two days to go. I think I'm pulling out of this slump for now, so I won't be back here in the club until I eff it up again. So I will take me leave....for now.

Tri

Blondchen
09-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm slugging, or more evocatively, slogging today. Two hours for 117 words? Oy...

triceretops
09-14-2008, 02:22 AM
About 4,000 words this week but I hav two more stints before I have to report in SYW. So I best get to splashing ink.

Tri

Kenzie
09-14-2008, 03:29 AM
I think I've written about 1500 words in the last ten days. Ech. I have, however, figured out some major issues that had been niggling at me, and am trying to decide whether to go back and fix them now or leave them til revision time.

Blondchen
09-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Niggling. Ha. I like that.

dgiharris
09-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Ugggg

So I almost finished my recent story and need to rewrite it. Started the rewrite, got about 75% done then hit a patch of slugdom. I'm in the middle of a move so now don't have time, lost all momentum.

I am slug.

Hear me squish.

Mel..

Darzian
09-26-2008, 09:31 AM
The ideas and events I had planned for a 75K story are suddenly all exhausted at 31K. I'm left wondering what to do next. My record writing speed has elapsed to zero. See my thread of misery:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116998

mario_c
09-27-2008, 08:09 AM
I may never write again. It's like I'm back to the old days with 10 WIPs that are nothing but aimless ranting and other notes. I have a bad week at work and think, now I'm ready for a fight and that's great for writing. And nothing.

I can try renting some movies, or look for a good pulpy novel. Nov 7 is NYC pitch fest, and the 13th it's off to LA. So I need to figure out what I'm doing!!!

Shara
09-28-2008, 02:32 AM
Forigve me AWers, I have slugged, it has been 4 weeks since I last wrote a word...

I am taking a pledge with myself. Come 1 October, the slugginess must stop. I will go back to 500 words a day, even if I have to staple my backside to the writing chair.

Wish me luck.

Shara

triceretops
09-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Good luck, Shara. That's a long haul without a word. Fear not and forge ahead.

I'm procranstinationg working on one chapter that doesn't sit right with my agent. I just can't figure it out. Hence, no writing on it. Panic. Fear. I went and looked up the Snowflake menthod and an article about MRUs--motivational response units, and got confused as hell as to how it can apply to the section I'm trying to get over. I'm screwed.

My WIP has stopped dead in its tracks at 40,000 words. I have a plot problem with that one.

Tri

dgiharris
09-29-2008, 06:18 PM
I may never write again. It's like I'm back to the old days with 10 WIPs that are nothing but aimless ranting and other notes. I have a bad week at work and think, now I'm ready for a fight and that's great for writing. And nothing.

I can try renting some movies, or look for a good pulpy novel. Nov 7 is NYC pitch fest, and the 13th it's off to LA. So I need to figure out what I'm doing!!!

I'll say this many times on this thread (though I don't know how useful it will be for some)

When I get stuck, sometimes I try to have an adventure. Do something completely out of the ordinary to reawaken the creative juices.

Go to an amusement park, the zoo, musuem, salsa dancing, a strip club, be the stripper at a strip club on amatuer night!, volunteer at a homeless shelter, etc etc.

For me, I find that always sparks my imagination.

Also, long long LONG walks in nature (1, 2, 3 hrs) where you have nothing but time to think.

Shara,
that is a hilarious avatar. And good luck to you as well.

Forge forward slugs, onward to victory!
Victory or salt!
Victory or salt!
Victory or salt!

Mel...

shakeysix
09-29-2008, 09:42 PM
i had an insight this weekend. it is not so much that i am procrastinating because i dread writing, it is just that i have a day job which puts groceries on the table and a family that i am hoping will give me comfort in my old age if i support them now. (well, at least provide me with a hot water bottle and fuzzy slippers before planting me on an iceberg and pushing me out to sea.) naturally i subconsciously short my writing time because even when it is tedious and exhausting, writing is more entertaining than work although it pays nada. i was raised in a family that put money making before entertainment. naturally i put writing last. i have to learn to be less responsible. does this make sense to anyone else?---s6

vixey
09-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I can relate. RL can suck! I'm editing something to do with hubby's business, which puts bread on our table. I want to write a new scene to my WIP. Patience, I know.

MsJudy
09-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Oh, boy, do I know that one. I've made a deal with my 9-year-old that he has to SHUT UP for at least 15 minutes every evening and let me write. I find that if I can do that little bit, it keeps the brain juices flowing. Then on Friday, when he goes to his dad's house, I can get a lot done. I wake up Saturday morning primed and ready to GO! But some days, jeez... We have to set the timer, or he'll spend the whole 15 minutes asking me how much longer before he can talk to me....

Of course, my teenager is just as happy to stay in his room and leave me alone. So it all works out in the end, I guess....

mario_c
10-02-2008, 07:46 AM
DGI Harris, excellent advice. (I draw the line at removing clothing in public, though.) I actually had a really awful week at work, and this motivates me to try a lot harder in my extra-curricular activities. Or to go out and experience other people, and distract myself from the stink of my own life.
I also upped my workout schedule; given my druthers, I would spend morning noon and night in front of the computer with a guitar in hand. This is bad because if your body is not healthy your mind follows suit.

MsJudy
10-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Aagh! I slugged two days in a row this week! I don't usually do that! Aagh!

Must...
break...
the...
trend...

LaurieD
10-06-2008, 06:49 AM
I haven't written a single word for any of my WIPs ( I have a little WIP and a big WIP) in a week.

*hides face in shame*

*mumbles from behind hands*
I have edited though, does that count for anything? Or am I just a total sluggy slacker?

triceretops
10-06-2008, 09:51 AM
My usual output is between 12,000 and 17,000 a week. I've been doing 4,000 to 6,000 for the past two months. So...that is slugging for me. Too much goofing off running around the internet is the reason. And AW, of course. I've got to get back on a strict reward system--an hour on writing, and 15 minutes of playtime.

Tri

LaurieD
10-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Ok - I've paid homage to the work your a** off gods and was able to finish a pb ms today and edit half of it.

Of course, if my job-that-pays-the-bills website hadn't crashed (and stayed crashed) I wouldn't have done anywhere near as much.

RLB
10-07-2008, 06:50 AM
I should start a new WIP. I already have the idea. But I tell myself that I'm focusing on querying. (this only means I'm checking my email compulsively, not doing anything useful) I'm only procrastinating.

Queen Slug.

MsJudy
10-07-2008, 07:43 AM
My usual output is between 12,000 and 17,000 a week. I've been doing 4,000 to 6,000 for the past two months. So...that is slugging for me. Too much goofing off running around the internet is the reason. And AW, of course. I've got to get back on a strict reward system--an hour on writing, and 15 minutes of playtime.

Tri

I am sorry, but if that's being a slug, then I'm a...well, I don't know what. Is anything sluggier than a slug? My most prolific so far has been about half of what you call slugging.

So I am now looking for a GREAT BIG salt shaker. You better hide.

dgiharris
10-08-2008, 07:52 PM

Tri

You are not a slug. You are a Bee. A Busy Bee that is in a little bit of a slump.

We slugs look up in awe as you buzz around you WIP furiously whipping out words at a speed we slugs could never hope to match in our most sluggiest of slug dreams.

But welcome. You are an inspiration to all of us procrastinators

Speaking of which, i've been slugging lately. I tell my self I'm storing up energy for NaNo. But part of me knows that's a lie. But it is such a comforting lie. Like Potato chips that say they are 1/3 fat, and you eat the whole bag, and tell yourself it's o.k. when it's not. *sigh*

I'm such a slug. big fat sluggy slug slug slug

Mel...

Red-Green
10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Salt me not! I haven't been totally slugging, but I've been oozing a little. That is, I'm still working on revisions on my current project, but I haven't been writing anything new and I usually produce about 1000 a day, regardless of what else is going on. It's this fricking election. At least I'm supposed to have my regular "writing night out" with my writing pal, but I worry that since it's been weeks, she'll just want to chat.

Red-Green
10-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Oh crap. I am totally slugging today. Wasting hours on the internet when I oughta be working on my WIP. Hate myself so hard. :rant:

MsJudy
10-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Oh crap. I am totally slugging today. Wasting hours on the internet when I oughta be working on my WIP. Hate myself so hard. :rant:

Yeah. My brain is mush tonight. I got nothing. Just nothing. But if I'm so tired I can't even write, how did I just manage to play solitaire for half an hour?

Man, I hate days when I can't think.

cooeedownunder
10-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Iím definitely being a slug, and think I have started something that I should have thought out more. Three chapters in, and I canít think of the next word.

Blondchen
10-20-2008, 05:07 AM
I'm stealing this from our beloved Tasmin:

"ninja."

dgiharris
10-21-2008, 06:33 PM
On my way home yesterday, I saw a slug, and thought of this thread.

The slug was hanging over a cliff (a curb to be precise, but i'm sure to the slug it was a cliff).

He seemed confused and just hung out there for a while, with half of his body dangling over the edge. Then, millimeter by millimeter he scaled the cliff and climbed, or rather, slithered down.

Which made me think of Nano. I feel myself coming up to a cliff, a mountain really. My first novel. I'm so excited. But November cannot be the month of the slug. No. It must be the month of the Bee. The Busy Bee. I must be like Tri, I must become a writing machine.

So, I have one more story to finish before NaNo. I will finish this weekend, and prepare for my novel all next week. Get all the slime outta my system, then hit the deck running come next next Saturday.

Mel...

MsJudy
10-22-2008, 03:48 AM
On my way home yesterday, I saw a slug, and thought of this thread.

The slug was hanging over a cliff (a curb to be precise, but i'm sure to the slug it was a cliff).

He seemed confused and just hung out there for a while, with half of his body dangling over the edge. Then, millimeter by millimeter he scaled the cliff and climbed, or rather, slithered down.

Yay, slugs rule!!!

Don't know why I didn't think of this before.... I live in Santa Cruz, CA, where the University mascot is the fighting Banana Slug. Slugs are awesome. I've never tried, but supposedly if you lick them when they're slimy, you get a dose of mild anesthetic and your lips go numb. Raccoons roll them in dirt first before they eat them, to counteract the slime.

Go slugs!http://www.mytko.org/random/bananaslug.jpg

dgiharris
10-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Yay, slugs rule!!!

I've never tried, but supposedly if you lick them when they're slimy, you get a dose of mild anesthetic and your lips go numb. Raccoons roll them in dirt first before they eat them, to counteract the slime.

Try licking frogs :)

Now that is an experience :) Just be careful, some can kill you. Speaking of which, great idea for a drug dealer, to start dealing frogs.

In fact, think i'll write about that tonight at my writer's group

Mel...

dgiharris
10-23-2008, 02:56 AM
Oh God

With 10 days left to NaNo, i've got to polish my remaining stories for my end of month send off

Plus I've just decided to scrap my book idea and do another book idea i haven't even really thought through.

The pressure. The pressure.

I know of one organism that can survive this mountain worth of pressure....

The Mighty Slug.

Slugs don't bend under pressure, they flatten uniformly :)

I can feel myself turning, transforming, morphing into the mighty slug.

Must--fight--it...

Mel...

Red-Green
10-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Don't make me get the salt shaker, Mel.

copeck
10-23-2008, 03:23 AM
...to fire up the Query Machine. ...fricking hard to make myself go back to agent research and querying, in no small part because I've already been rejected by my top ten agents.

How apt!!!

copeck
10-23-2008, 03:24 AM

Go ahead Redzilla, make Mel shake in his boots... Get out the frigging NaCl...

dgiharris
10-24-2008, 06:48 PM

No need. I'm rising to the challenge. Just finished putting a skeleton outline together.

Plus, all those short stories i've written are a gold mine for ideas. I have more scenes than I know what to do with :)

I've always thought I would write a few short stories then when I became a novelist i'd stop. But now i'm thinking that I will write shorts until I die, just because they are such a friggin GOLD MINE. I have over 50 drafts of short stories and ideas for probably another 50 more...

anyways, I'm babbling. I'm pysched for NaNo.

and copeck

it is not wise to encourage T-rexs. Once they get started, they are impossible to put back in their cages...

Mel...

copeck
10-24-2008, 11:55 PM
and copeck

it is not wise to encourage T-rexs. Once they get started, they are impossible to put back in their cages...

Mel...

Mel, are you kidding me? Sure you don't need the brine bath anymore...?

Kudos for getting back on track.... keep it up!!

dgiharris
12-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Well slugs,

hopefully we were all productive during NaNo.

Since then, i've been in super slug mode.

Mel...

copeck
12-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Well slugs,

hopefully we were all productive during NaNo.

Since then, i've been in super slug mode.

Mel...

Quick, get out the salt!!!!

MsJudy
12-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Oh, man, NaNo was the worst slug month in two years! I got off to a great start that lasted about two frickin' days. Then I had an allergic reaction to a skin cream and I couldn't do anything but scratch for weeks. That was followed by a cold, and Thanksgiving, and... for the whole month, I think I wrote about 7000 words. Most of that was in those first two days. Most of what I did after those two days is now getting shredded as I discovered a huge plot hole that prompted me to go back and start again. So now I'm back on track, or so I think, but there's this other big holiday just a few days away... After not being able to write, I've gotten so out of the habit. Suddenly it's so easy to make excuses.

I am now the Queen of Slugs. Bow down before me.

Red-Green
12-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I'll bow down to you, just as soon as you put on this salt crown. Get to work, Slug Queen.

mario_c
12-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Back to the Slug thread. Hi everyone.
Everything has been a fog for, like, a week. I had about a week this month, I would pump out 2 pages a day. Now I'm on my face on the floor again, staring at my WIP wondering what in hell I'm going to write next. And why I should bother.
It doesn't help that this is Christmas gathering week, I've been out late 3 out of 4 nights this work week. And I'm still up all night, in a insomniac haze. And no more vacation until February (I didn't get a raise this year, but I did get 2 extra weeks vac time - up to 5ish). No more days to sit and just write, except my half weekend days.
I'm in a rut. I want to go out and have some adventure that will kickstart my writing, but of course I can't because I'm furiously pedaling to stay above water.

But no salt please, my blood pressure can't take it.

MsJudy
12-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Oh, f@*#! I just did it again! I had an hour or two to write this morning, before the kids came home. So I made myself a nice breakfast, took a shower, sat down and checked the Share Your Work board... And now it's 11:00, the boys just walked in the door, I'm sure their dad hasn't fed them in 2 days, and after that we have to go get the tree, in the rain no less....

At least the rain will wash off the salt. But then I won't be the queen any more...

MsJudy
12-19-2008, 05:16 AM
I am turning in my crown. All this week I have gotten up at 5:00 a.m. to squeeze in a few quick minutes of work before the real day begins. Yay! And vacation starts the day after tomorrow, so the floodgates can open.

Yippee!

MsJudy
01-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Give me back the crown. I'm doing it again.

I don't know what's wrong with me lately. It's taking me For-frickin-EVER to figure out each scene! For every three words I write, I end up cutting four.

Gah! Somebody, salt me, quick!

Ciera_
01-01-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't feel very much like a writer, lately =( I just feel so discouraged over all of my WIPs. I've started my rewrite of the first one, but I keep feeling like the second draft isn't much better, so there isn't much incentive to work on it. And the sequel...gah. I'm too discouraged to even detail my discouragement.
I'll get back in the groove, I know it, but I don't know when.

dgiharris
01-02-2009, 03:55 AM
...but I keep feeling like the second draft isn't much better, so there isn't much incentive to work on it. And the sequel...gah. I'm too discouraged to even detail my discouragement.
I'll get back in the groove, I know it, but I don't know when.

Wow, that is pretty severe. But never fear, today is the start of the new year. I'm sure nothjing but good times are ahead. Persevere, fight the good fight.

What is your normal motis operindi if you don't mind me asking?

I find (sometimes) that reading a book from a good author that writes in a style similar to mine will sometimes help me get back in the flow and improve my writing some.

I also notice that letting some things sit for a little while then getting back to it after a couple of weeks also helps me polish a bit better.

Give me back the crown. I'm doing it again.

I don't know what's wrong with me lately. It's taking me For-frickin-EVER to figure out each scene! For every three words I write, I end up cutting four.
Gah! Somebody, salt me, quick!

Hey Jud. As far as trying to figure out your scene.... Yeah, been there. Sometimes its worst than <<<insert analogy about something difficult here>>> .... ugghh my mind is blank

*sigh*

Don't ask me why, but for wierd reason, long walks are the best thing for me for figuring out scenes. And by long, I mean at least a mile or two. I can walk about 1 mile in 15 minutes, 2 miles in half an hour. So a quick 1, 2, or even 3 mile walk will enable me to figure out a ton of scenes.

Long drives work as well, but walking is the best for me. Might I suggest you give it a go? that is, if you don't live in an area that is too cold. I see in your avatar line that you live in Cali so that shouldn't be a problem unless you are way up by Oregon.

Anyways, good luck fellow slugs. And happy new year. This is the year. I can feel it!!!

Mel...

Mrs. Strange
01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I cannot get into finishing these revisions. I know that this will be the end and then we're onto subbing. Maybe that's why? I work on pieces and it's taking so loooong. I feel so tired and so frustrated!!!!

Sneaky Devil
01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I CAN'T WORK TODAY! Or yesterday, or the day before that, etc., etc.

I haven't been able to concentrate on my work and it's driving me bonkers! My muse up and quit on me apparently. I just can't seem to get things done. No revisions, no additions to my WIP, nothing.

Branwyn
01-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I threatened my muse and she left me. I gave her a choice get me an agent or get lost. I guess I got my answer.

I'm empty.

Red-Green
01-22-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm slugging today. Just can't get up my gumption on any of my WIPs. It's just that I'm dying for news about the book I'm querying. I feel like I'm in slug-limbo.

MsJudy
01-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Don't ask me why, but for wierd reason, long walks are the best thing for me for figuring out scenes. And by long, I mean at least a mile or two. I can walk about 1 mile in 15 minutes, 2 miles in half an hour. So a quick 1, 2, or even 3 mile walk will enable me to figure out a ton of scenes.

Long drives work as well, but walking is the best for me. Might I suggest you give it a go? that is, if you don't live in an area that is too cold. I see in your avatar line that you live in Cali so that shouldn't be a problem unless you are way up by Oregon.

Anyways, good luck fellow slugs. And happy new year. This is the year. I can feel it!!!

Mel...

You are so right. I think that was most of the problem--between work, the kids, the holidays, some health issues, I just wasn't getting any thinking time. No quiet spaces to let the story grow. So every thing I wrote just pushed up new questions that needed to be answered.

Then winter break FINALLY arrived and I had a few weeks to just take walks with the dog, sit and knit on the couch, soak in the bathtub--and by the time I went back to school, I'd doubled the size of the book, even with all the cuts I had to make. And now the story is developed enough that I can work on it more steadily. Well, steady for me. 1000 words a week is a good pace for me. I know that's pathetic for most people, but.... since I write short books, that gets me through a first draft and revisions in a year.

Anyway, now I'm back on track, making progress every week, plus TOADFLAX is finally in the hands of an agent!!!!

So I am officially abdicating the Slug Queen crown. Someone else may assume the throne and reign over us all.

copeck
01-12-2010, 02:38 AM
Need salt, salt, salt!

Just where the heck is Mel and the salt? *weeps*

mario_c
01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Welcome, slugs. How you been?

triceretops
01-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I've been a slug when it comes to not writing anything new in a year. But, I've sold three books, and I'm editing them in shifts, and negotiating with agents at the moment. Not a total loss. The editing has been nightmarish, but essential for the quality of the product.

Tri

MsJudy
01-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Wow, triceratops! 3!!! After so many frustrating years of not selling!

You've inspired me, all right.

But I just have to say...every time I try to retire my slug crown and get into a really, really good writing routine, Life f**** up all my plans. This weekend, I was all set. the boys were at their dad's house, I've been on vacation, my mind was clear. I had 3 days and nothing to do but write.

Except that at noon on the first day, the ex calls, my son has a collapsed lung and they're on their way to the hospital. Four days later, here I am, exhausted and relieved that my kid is finally home and in one piece, but...that book I was writing? I don't even remember what it was supposed to be about.

I need a nap.