PDA

View Full Version : New board - Grammar, Punctuation, Structure

Ella
04-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I'd like to see a new board for these questions specifically. They're posted all over the place, and if they were centralized, those who need help would find it a lot easier.

Just my two cents.

mdmkay
04-16-2005, 11:22 PM
I AGREE ENTIRELY.....it would really help some of us who are structure, punctuation, and grammically deficient, to have somewhere to go with questions.

maestrowork
04-17-2005, 01:57 AM
The "Ask The Editor" forum is sort of taking some of these questions...

Torin
04-17-2005, 05:20 AM
And it turns up in crits a lot, along with disagreements on certain finer points. :) I'm a grammar freak, and I get upset when I see people calling writing passive when it's just weak, or demanding that simpler tenses be used and basically that writing be dumbed down to about a grade two level. It offends my reader's sensibilities. :)

Torin, thinking of several other grammar articles I can write for my site.

dragonjax
04-17-2005, 05:21 AM
Throwing in my two cents that I'd love to see such a forum.

:Thumbs:

E.G. Gammon
04-17-2005, 08:32 PM
I'd love to see that forum as well.

AmyBA
04-18-2005, 02:18 AM
Me too! (waving my hand in the air enthusiastically)

dragonjax
04-18-2005, 02:28 AM
...I'd even be happy to volunteer as moderator...

brokenfingers
04-18-2005, 02:32 AM
I would'nt mind, it myself? Grammer; and speling come in ahndy can!

dragonjax
04-18-2005, 02:37 AM
I would'nt mind, it myself? Grammer; and speling come in ahndy can!
((SPLUTTER))

You'd be amazed -- the other day, I saw an ad for a copy editor; one the responsibilities was to ensure proper "grammer." Seriously. :Huh:

Torin
04-18-2005, 05:10 AM
((SPLUTTER))

You'd be amazed -- the other day, I saw an ad for a copy editor; one the responsibilities was to ensure proper "grammer." Seriously. :Huh:

And presumably, even one OF the responsibilities. ;)

Sorry, Dragonjax. I couldn't resist. :scared: :ROFL:

Torin, in evil mode. mwahahahah

dragonjax
04-18-2005, 05:55 AM
Torin! :guns:

LOL -- can I blame quick fingers and a slow connection to the Internet? Can I? Please?

:faint:

Torin
04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Well, of course you can, Dragonjax. Mind you, that sort of thing has never happened to me. :Ssh:

Torin, the incredibly unperfect

dragonjax
04-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I prefer to think that we're each allowed one snafu per week. :idea:

BlueTexas
04-18-2005, 05:17 PM
I think that's a great idea for a board.

thistle
04-18-2005, 06:29 PM
I would love a forum like this. I'm a grammar wonk who loves a good serial comma. I collect misplaced modifiers. I shun the passive voice. (The passive voice is shunned by me!) The Chicago Manual is by my bedside, the AP Stylebook under my pillow.

I confess: I'm a Strunk and White groupie!

Ah, grammar...it's always in style. Get it? In style? :rolleyes: Anybody up for some sentence diagramming? Whee! (I'm serious...)

My husband would be so embarrassed...don't tell him I've gone public with my nerdiness...

dragonjax
04-18-2005, 10:30 PM
(The passive voice is shunned by me!)
:ROFL:

Ah, grammar...it's always in style. Get it? In style?

And who says grammar isn't fun? :Thumbs:

The book I swear by is The Gregg Reference Manual. Can't help it; it was my first reference book, and it will always be my true love (as far as these things go...)

CaoPaux
04-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Add another "aye"! :Thumbs:

Ella
04-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Someone shared this link with me today.

The FAQ section (under Word & Sentence level) is great.
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/index.htm

Gehanna
04-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Me and my commas are all for it.

Lilybiz
04-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Torin! :guns:

LOL -- can I blame quick fingers and a slow connection to the Internet? Can I? Please?

:faint:

In the loving spirit of this thread, yes you MAY.

I like to think my grammar's perfect, but after reading my signed, first edition hardback copy of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" I've discovered that there's always more to learn. I also notice a lot of errors from contributors here. So let's help each other! I think this is a great idea for a forum.

firehorse
04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
I think it's a great idea, too.

Maybe have two mods, though: one American and one UK (and perhaps a third from Canada, she said, reaching her hand up like Horshack and yelling "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh-ooh-ooh!"), as each country has different punctuation standards.

Ella
04-20-2005, 10:07 PM
-errors from contributors? In what way?
I think a lot of forum users tend to write their casual posts in the manner of conversation - the way they speak or think. Grammar & punctuation be damned.

Our work is a different matter.

Lilybiz
04-20-2005, 10:16 PM
-errors from contributors? In what way?
I think a lot of forum users tend to write their casual posts in the manner of conversation - the way they speak or think. Grammar & punctuation be damned.

Our work is a different matter.

I agree, and didn't mean to criticize. Even in our work, depending on what we're doing, as long as we're conscious of how we break the rules, then the rules be damned as well.

I just mean I've seen a lot of posts (they're the exception, not the rule) that indicate that the writer isn't consciously damning the rules, but rather isn't aware of them at all. I've probably posted some myself.

And I wouldn't go out and look for those posts and criticize. I just think that a forum for those who are interested is a good idea. A place where we could ask questions. In sentence fragments. If we want. To.

Ella
04-20-2005, 10:27 PM
but rather isn't aware of them at all.

Good point.
Thanks for contributing, aertep, and welcome to AW!

Firehorse, GREAT idea on the regional mod thing. The cheque is in the mail.

dragonjax
04-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Maybe have two mods, though: one American and one UK (and perhaps a third from Canada, she said, reaching her hand up like Horshack and yelling "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh-ooh-ooh!"), as each country has different punctuation standards.

FABULOUS!

firehorse, you're so smart!

:hooray:

Lilybiz
04-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks, Ella. It's nice to be welcomed!

I like firehorse's idea, too. I have British correspondents with whom I love to share word meanings. It might also be useful for those of us who want to write for more than one English-speaking audience.

Torin
04-21-2005, 02:41 AM
I think the point is not so much errors on posts (and Dragonjax knows I couldn't resist the poke, considering the topic of the post), but in work we submit for critiquing. If a grammar source were readily available, it might cut down on the amount of critting going just for that.

At least, that was my understanding, but YMMV. :)

Torin

dragonjax
04-21-2005, 03:07 AM
I think the point is not so much errors on posts (and Dragonjax knows I couldn't resist the poke, considering the topic of the post)...
Moi?

:Ssh:

firehorse
04-21-2005, 03:19 AM
firehorse, you're so smart!http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/blush4.gif
Actually, I'm just an American-born Canadian who has to refer to half a dozen style guides depending on the audience! Can be quite confusing. This week, for example, I deliberately kept my Idol entry consistent with American spelling and punctuation (I hope!) because the story is set in San Diego. But some of the "cheque" vs. "check" I didn't notice till my final proofing.

Ralyks
04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
I too would like to see a specific board for this.

GPatten
07-04-2005, 06:01 AM
Apostrophes! God help me! Too many commas, or too few! Sigh!