How do you convert to send docs electronically? (Comic Book Creator 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chan

Hello!
Registered
Reaction score
When you are sending your comics, not everyone works with the same program, right? Some people work with Adobe Illustrator, some with Inkscape, Photoshop, Comic Book Creator, etc.

Agents especially are not going to have most of these programs, so how do you send pages electronically?

I tried just typing .pdf at the end or .rtf after making a page in comic book creator 2, but it didn't work when I tried to open it with adobe or word.

Can someone help me figure this out? What's the typical way to do this?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You're putting the cart before the horse, aren't you?

-Derek

chan

Hello!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, am I? I have almost a full script and the artist plans to have 15 pages fully illustrated by July 18th. The query has been up in SYW for several weeks and is pretty much done.

The agents on my list look for a proposal of which I have gathered most the elements. I don't want to purchase comic book creator 2 if I'm not going to be able to convert from it and send to people.

I've always been a fast writer. I write for book packagers on deadline, so I don't know. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but you don't know unless you put stuff out there I don't think.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
A little info please? Is Comic Book Creator 2 a program, or a collection of artwork and utilities? The online reviews are slightly confusing. Some suggest that the software component of Comic Book Creator 2 is actually PD Particles, which (according to the spec) can save images in the standard graphic BMP, JPG, PNG, and TIFF formats. PDF isn't mentioned. But if you install freebie PDF software like PrimoPDF you should be able to generate PDF files too.

See update below.

-Derek

Last edited:

Chris Huff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sisyphus-books.com
I don't have Comic Creator, so I can't speak to that program or its capabilities.

With Adobe CS3, you have Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, and InDesign. Ill and Shop can save as jpg. In Acrobat you can collect these as a pdf. Or you can save as tiff, jpg, ai, or eps files. You can use most of those in InDesign to layout the pages. In my experience, InDesign is the program of choice for laying out a full comic. Use Ill or Shop to layout individual pages.

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
Depends: If you are sending off a script to an artist or an agent, any doc or text file should work. If you are sending off the completed project to an agent, then try for PDF.

If you are doing lettering for the artist, then trade files in some sort of file type that has layers (such as .psd files from Photoshop).

FWIW...

FR

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I downloaded Comic Book Creator 2 and noticed this message during installation:

"Performing PDF Writer Install..."

Which suggests the necessary software is already aboard.

However, if you select File you'll notice that the Print and Publish options are inactive (because it's a trial copy). If you buy the package ($29.99?) then you should be able to output PDF files to email to your agent (or art files to send to artists, letterers, publishers, etc.).

Edit: neat piece of software.
Further edit: tho' I find it just a little too constraining. But, the upgrades beyond the Basic set that comes with the trial version may well address some of my frowns.
NB, I notice the PIG IRON font used by CBC2 has been installed in Windows\Fonts.

-Derek

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
The way to save a file as one format or another is almost always chosen from a drop down menu and never by typing a different extension on the end (at least in windows). Probably you are going to want to save each page of comic as a gif or png (I don't recommend jpg) and for text, the most universally readable format is rtf (but it's not the prettiest, so you may want something nicer looking like pdf). Now, you can simple put your pages and your script into a folder and send that, or compress it with winzip, winrar, or 7zip and then send it. Or you can put your script and sample pages together as a slick presentation in pdf, a webpage-making program, openoffice, microsoft word, wordperfect, etc.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
With my books, I just put the pages together in InDesign (after they've been drawn, Photoshopped, and lettered and paneled with Illustrator) and then I PDF them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.