Loss and Miracle

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Some people who have been waiting for their "miracle" got it this weekend. Various people I will never know who waited on lists for the the organ that would save their lives got them.
And I have to look at it this way, because otherwise my friend's death makes no sense to me.
On the early morning of July 4th. He was walking up the basement steps at his house. He fell down them. He spent one day in the hospital unresponsive and on life support with severe brain trauma. His family took him off support on the 5th because he was brain dead.
If you knew this guy...I never saw him unhappy. He lived his life to the fullest. He was his father's best friend, always smiling, intolerably funny.
And there is no great lesson about what not to do, or how not to live. He wasn't sick. He isn't "better off now" because he was broken with pain for months with cancer. He wasn't doing something dangerous. Can you imagine someone saying, "You shouldn't walk up stairs, a friend of mine died doing that."
Nope. None of it makes sense and a lot of people are hurting, sad, and even a bit pissed off when someone says "it was just his time to go." A friend of mine said, "When someone told me it was just his time to go. I said, 'bullshit! It wasn't! That's bullshit and I'm pissed off about it'."
Most of us are just sort of shocked still, expecting him to walk into a room.
I took comfort in one thing though. He was an organ donor. Someone got a heart, another one maybe got a liver, someone may have gotten a much needed kidney.
A handful of people and their families are thanking doctors for giving them the chance they needed because this wonderful person died in a freak accident and it is the only thing that makes any of this make sense.

I'm not going to tell you that i think you should be an organ donor. It's a personal choice everyone has to make. I do hope you consider it though. This tragic loss brought other people a chance. What an amazing gift he left.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, you could be a bone marrow donor. It's a relatively easy way to maybe save someone's life.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, Trish. He sounded wonderful and magical. It's not enough to say that his charity and legacy lives on through his gift... but it is something. He did a wonderful thing. It is extremely sad that he had to lose his life to do it. Your description of him tells me how deep your loss is. I'm sorry.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the condolences. I do have to say that a lot of other people are feeling this deeper than I am. He was a good friend to my husband, had a very close-knit family and was a friend to all who knew him. I am heartbroken, sad and sick about it; others are devastated, crushed and broken.
At his favorite hang-out they put a bottle of beer (his favorite brand) on the bar for him that day just a small honor and they've closed for the day today for his wake. His entire family gathered there the day they lost him, not because they wanted to go out, but because he would have wanted them to.
He will be missed by dozens of people. The bar served so much of his favorite beer that they ran out. Everyone had one for him. He would have loved that.
I happily remember dancing with him at my wedding, and in fact every wedding we've ever been to. I went through pictures and dug out a few of him for Mr. Stew. It made him smile a little and made him a bit sad.
He was loved by so many.
I hope the people who have received his organs live happy full lives with what he has given them. That is the best way to look at it, I guess. A perfectly healthy man falls down a flight of stairs; other people get a second chance to live.
It's the only way it makes sense.

Last edited:

coneflower2001

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss. :-( No matter what leads up to the loss of a loved one, it's always painful...leaving so many unanswered questions. Your friend sounded like a beam of light to this world. Try and remeber through the tears and pain...Energy never dies, but is only transformed.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Stew - Whenever something like this happens, a death without apparent cause or reason, I always have the thought strike me that somehow, in some unfathomable way, this must have been God's will. Maybe we'll never know. But whereas other deaths are expected or at least anticipated, the natural course of life, the ones that come out of the blue truly are "Acts of God."

Last year a friend of mine, a pastor in training, was at a car dealership talking to a dealer. They chatted a bit and the dealer showed him a photo of his wife and kids and they talked about church a bit. And then, right in the middle of the conversation, the man crumpled to the floor. My friend gave him CPR until the ambulance arrived, but he was already gone. Sudden, totally random massive brain aneurysm. Why? Who knows? Only God, probably.

I don't know if that's any comfort or not, but it's always what I think.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stew, I am so, so sorry! :Hug2: I don't have spiritual platitudes to offer, just sympathy and condolences.

Organ donation is an amazing gift.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Trish, I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be very hard, especially since it was so random. If he was as great a guy as you say, I'm sure he'd be happy to know he was able to help others. I'm an organ donor for that very reason.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
There's no sense to some things. My aunt's grandson was murdered a week before Christmas. A man I knew when he was just a boy was recently murdered.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about this, Trish. There never seem to be the right words to say when someone dies. I think people say things like, "It was his time,", etc., because they just simply don't know what to say. Some people feel they need to justify a loss, even though it can't really be accomplished. All they need to say to the family is, "I'm sorry for your loss" or something similar.

My license has a sticker on it indicating I've agreed to be an organ donor. I like the idea of knowing I can help someone live if anything happens to me.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear of your friend's passing. It's so hard to express how deeply we feel for you all. :Hug2:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I don't have any special words, but you have my condolences.

I've had a donor card for as long as I've been eligible to carry one, and it's something I've always encouraged in others too. I hope that the fact he lives on somewhere will be a comfort to you.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Stew! So sorry to hear about your friend, and the sorrow you are going through. Thank you for posting this, hopefully it reaches the hearts of others to be a donor as well.