My daughter almost stepped on a copperhead

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
GAH![SUP]tm[/SUP]

While out picking berries in our backyard, two of my daughters nearly stepped on a four-foot-long copperhead in the grass. Those things need a frickin' bell around their necks when the rattle isn't wiggling.

Any ideas on how to get them to stay on THEIR side of the backyard?

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
there was another thread on this site a few months back about someone asking how to prevent snakes from hanging out under their front porch. Someone came up with a good suggestion. Forget what, but if you keyword "snakes" it might come up.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to get them to stay on THEIR side of the backyard?

Reason with them.

smith_wesson_hardballer_airsoft_shotgun_reviews_813128_300.jpg

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure it was a Copperhead and not a Hog Snake?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You said "picking berries in the backyard" . . . is your backyard woody, or do you just have some berry bushes?

A copperhead is not going to make a home in the typical backyard unless it's close to being naturally woody or very overgrown. Mr. Snake was probably just passing by.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I'm sure we interrupted his siesta. We have five acres in the woods on top of a mountain in northern Virginia. He was at the edge of the cleared area near the trees/berries.

I'm still squicked out.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, in that case, that will make a wonderful home for copperheads.

Just kidding!

Just remember, copperhead are not aggressive, and their bite is almost never fatal. I can hear you now, "Oh, great, ALMOST never fatal!" ;-)

Really, I think it's been years, if not decades, since anyone has died from a copperhead bite. I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I think I'm correct.

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Copperheads will twitch their tails when agitated, but I believe only rattlesnakes have rattles.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. No rattle for the copperhead. They do twitch tails and if it was in dry grass or leaves, it can sound a bit like a rattler. But if it was a rattler...:shivers:

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What you need is a bunny, like the one in TIO "One bad ass killer bunny" thread. Sorry I don't know how to link.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Er, thanks. It's not the snakes themselves I hate (okay, yes I do) but more of the horrible pain they can inflict on my babies; so I'm not adverse to bringing in a mongoose or two if they do the job. ;)

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
Er, thanks. It's not the snakes themselves I hate (okay, yes I do) but more of the horrible pain they can inflict on my babies; so I'm not adverse to bringing in a mongoose or two if they do the job. ;)

In that case, I'd definitely find out which kinds of King snakes are native to your area, get someone who knows what they're doing to help you capture one, and then release it on your property. They're not venomous, and they'll eat both rattlers and copperheads. It could be that some kinds are more effective than others, though. I'm not an expert on the little guys, I'm afraid. :)