Only played it once, do enjoy it. :)

My boyfriend introduced me.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Offhand I can name one mod and many normal users who play D&D or some similar PnP RPG. It's not exactly an uncommon activity among nerdy writers ;)

Bishop

American Seanchai
Registered
Reaction score
Started with D&D, went to AD&D, then second edition, then it became D&D again...what a long strange trip it's been.

I think they're on version 3.7812345 what I hear. haha

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I've played AD&D but prefer other roleplaying systems m'self.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I played sporadically as a kid, played 2nd Edition once in high school, and never since. Never knew any other people worth gaming with, and wasn't so invested in the hobby to seek out a group of strangers to play with.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, never was into D & D. Millions of other games. Am a big player of CoH and Cov now. That's about as nerdy of a writer as I can get. lol

Melenka

Better is the enemy of done
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
I played many RPGs, several for years. Of course, I also hung out with actors who have an uncanny ability to riff on anything. Haven't played in years, though my husband has started helping my son and his friends. Gotta nurture that imaginative side and video games don't do that.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
There's a buried thread here in Office Party I started a while back asking for help with D&D.

I am now a very successful DUNGEON MASTAR!

And all my little PC's love me because I also cook them dinner about half the time. [Note: "Little PC's" being all of my husband's male coworkers...]

We just switched to 4th edition, which I have to say is sooooo-ho much easier on me.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Oh awesome, Jo!
This thread had me wondering how your game was going :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh awesome, Jo!
This thread had me wondering how your game was going :)

Well, actually! I am finding it a constant (but manageable) challenge to balance two of my players - I told you about the one "power gamer" who only cares about his stats and being powerful ("Do I get experience points if I kill this group of helpless children?") but it turns out I also have someone who is the exact opposite - he ONLY wants the story. He is playing a rogue and whenever anyone gets in a fight he immediately runs away and hides the entire time.

So I reeeeeally have to balance the story and fighting elements, and then accept that neither is going to be completely happy. My other players are more reasonable, thank goodness! And quite funny, too.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Actually Jo, if you let the thief hide for... several hours of gameplay... one day, the player might reconsider all by himself :)

And I wouldn't tell the powergamer what he's getting XP or not for. I'd tell him to do what he thinks best, then tell him at session end that I'm taking away XP for blatant powergaming.

They only need to be really unhappy about the effects of their actions once to get it. :sweet smile: