Famous Love Scene in the Movies

Laurie Champion

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www-rohan.sdsu.edu
Hi Everyone:

My man character is a film buff. I can't seem to pull this simple scene out of a film. May be over thinking it. Anyway, anyone know of a famous love scene where the woman character looks at the man in a way that says she is falling in love with him. Best if the scene is the one in which she first begins to fall for him. All caps are blanks to be filled in.

Here's the blank I need filled:

But she didn't give him a flirty, girly-girl smile. No, if she could see herself, she see she was looking at him just as WOMAN CHARACTER looks at MAN in MOVIE TITLE, when BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF SCENE.

Thanks, and Happy July 4th.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's an endless number of possibilities, but I assume you would want it to be something that almost everyone has seen.

The scene with Bogart and Bergman at the end of Casablanca might work. Then there's that scene in Ghost when Demi Moore is at the potters wheel. Something with Bogart and Bacall? Bacall always had "that look".

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say Ingrid Bergman looking at Cary Grant in Notorious, on the plane ride to Argentina when she first realizes he might be on her side after all.

wyoming_dreams

Registered
Reaction score
How about...

But she didn't give him a flirty, girly-girl smile. No, if she could see herself, she would see she was looking at him just as ANNA looks at THE KING in ANNA AND THE KING, when THEY WERE DANCING AND HE KISSED HER HAND.

I can't remember the king's name.

wickeddj

Wicked is as wicked does
Registered
Reaction score
Or perhaps...

But she didn't give him a flirty, girly-girl smile. No, if she could see herself, she would see she was looking at him just as Eliza Doolittle looks at Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady when he admits in his own irascible way that he loves and needs her.

Laurie Champion

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www-rohan.sdsu.edu
thank you all

Thank you, so much. You guys are great! The ideas are amazing. So many good ideas, now I get to pick among many instead of just sticking any old scene in the novel.

thanks again, and I hope to return the favor.

Laurie

ComicSutra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.comicsutra.com
Near the beginning of The Princess Bride there's section on how Buttercup starts to change her feelings toward Wesley. It's a compilation of really short takes where she's ordering him around and then in one she looks at him and sees something different. Then she looks for an excuse to keep him in the room with her.

So you bit would look like:

But she didn't give him a flirty, girly-girl smile. No, if she could see herself, she would see she was looking at him just as BUTTERCUP looks at WESLEY in THE PRINCESS BRIDE, when SHE REALIZED HE CRAWLED INTO HER HEART A LITTLE MORE EVERY TIME HE SAID 'AS YOU WISH.'

You could describe the scene a little differently since other stuff happens, too, but the "As you wish" is a recurring romantic theme between them. It's how he expresses his feelings for her when he can't say "I love you" and later becomes a pledge between them.

BTW, the King in The King and I or Anna and The King is mostly referred as "The King" or "his majesty" but his official name was King Mongkut. I think they only use his name once or twice in The King and I. I don't remember how often it's used in the Jodie Foster version of Anna and the King. It isn't used much in the Rex Harrison version.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
BTW, the King in The King and I or Anna and The King is mostly referred as "The King" or "his majesty" but his official name was King Mongkut. I think they only use his name once or twice in The King and I. I don't remember how often it's used in the Jodie Foster version of Anna and the King. It isn't used much in the Rex Harrison version.

There's a Rex Harrison version? How awful. I only know the wonderful Yul Brynner/Deborah Kerr one.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
You know? You probably get away with just the characters and film. The scene itself is most likely irrelevant. "She looked at him the way Julia Roberts looked at Richard Gere in Pretty Woman." It makes sense, and you don't have to bog down your scene with description of something else.

ComicSutra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.comicsutra.com
Famous Love Scene in Movies

There's a Rex Harrison version? How awful. I only know the wonderful Yul Brynner/Deborah Kerr one.

The Yul Brynner version, which I love, too, was the musical. The Rex Harrison version was a drama like the Jodie Foster version. I can't remember if it's called Anna and The King or Anna and the King of Siam (and I'm too bleary-eyed to check on IMDB). Harrison's version is much more aggressive. I think Irene Dunne was his costar. It's an old black-and-white version back in the days when Hollywood routinely had Caucasians play Asians and Indians.

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say pick the proper scene based on the genre, target audience and the character in question.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score

I thought that was The King and Henry Higgins or Rex and I
Or Just Rex I or Rexi or I, Rex or (for a more Cretacious Park flavor):
T. Rex and I

ComicSutra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.comicsutra.com
Famous Love Scene in Movies

I thought that was The King and Henry Higgins or Rex and I
Or Just Rex I or Rexi or I, Rex or (for a more Cretacious Park flavor):
T. Rex and I

Since I'm less tired, I looked the movie up. It is Irene Dunne as the female lead. Go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038303/ and you'll find details on the Rex Harrison version. It was a pleasant film with good actors but in terms of ethnic casting, it's laughable.