PDA

View Full Version : Website help?

Copper Smith
07-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Anyone care to share any wise words on the process of putting together a fairly cheap (but not cheap looking) website? I've tried the blog thing and even entered the Faustian bargain of MySpace, but I'm seeking something less generic and more likely generate significant traffic over time.

L M Ashton
07-05-2008, 06:22 AM
This has been discussed dozens of times (at least). I'd suggest you start with a search. :)

Aragon
07-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Well, I am a little biased, but learning html is very easy. Creating your own can be very professional and cost effective. Depending on your budget, geocities or any of the free sites can be good. More professional, but can cost some money a month is getting a domain name and getting space to put it on.

TPCSWR
07-05-2008, 08:36 AM
With WYSIWYG programs like Dreamweaver you can throw up a quick site in 15 minutes, with a bit of practice and revision it'll only take a week to make a simple but decent site. You'll need to pay for the program and any hosting costs, but it's not going to cost a fortune.

For someone looking to create something simple and not wanting to pay for something professional I'd suggest that.

Amynta
07-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Or, if you are not too comfortable with learning HTML, CSS and/or PHP, you can install a content management system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_content_management_system) and use one of the many free themes that are available for use. If you use something like Wordpress (http://wordpress.org) it is not difficult at all to find a clean, simple and professional theme.

As for hosting, there are many hosting companies out there that can give you plenty of space for cheap. Your costs are monthly/yearly fees (which depends on what host you go with) and the yearly fee for a domain name.

lkp
07-05-2008, 03:56 PM
I use wordpress on bluehost. Costs me $7 a month, total. Very easy. You can check my site in my signature below, to see if it is the kind of thing you'd like. Right now, I have my blog as my top page, but it is possible to change that and have something more generic and unchanging on top.

I love AW but the search function sucks, I'm afraid.

L M Ashton
07-05-2008, 04:36 PM
You (the generic general you) can also use Google search by using these search terms (without the quotes) "site:absolutewrite.com/forums/ website". Works great.