mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
*waves flag*

Happy 4th, everyone!

So! Where's everyone going to watch the fireworks? I'm going to our county fairgrounds. We have the Marine Corps band here this year for out parade and they're playing while the fireworks go off. The Fourth is huge here--EVERYONE goes to the Fairgrounds; there's a carnival and the fireworks show is immense and lasts for about half an hour. It's beautiful

And there are funnel cakes and fresh-squeezed lemonade. Yay.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
going to a friend's BQ, today.
Will be gobbling down burgers.
Probably will catch sight of fireworks, tonight.
Even though it's illegal, lots of folk in the nabe shoot 'em off.
Quite a show they put on, each year.
Awesome, Mscelina, that you've got a military band to hear.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yep. I'm very excited. The whole town is.

This is my first fourth of July off in years. usually on this day, I'm working at the bar across the street from the Fairgrounds. *grin* Not THIS year! HOORAY!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
*waves flag*

Happy 4th, everyone!

So! Where's everyone going to watch the fireworks? I'm going to our county fairgrounds. We have the Marine Corps band here this year for out parade and they're playing while the fireworks go off. The Fourth is huge here--EVERYONE goes to the Fairgrounds; there's a carnival and the fireworks show is immense and lasts for about half an hour. It's beautiful

Happy Fourth! I'm not going anywhere to watch the fireworks because I don't believe the Irish celebrate this day. But I may go into Dublin center this evening and find a nice British pub to do my celebrating. Should see fireworks before the night is up.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Living in New England, July 4th is full of the small towns having pancake breakfast, parades, pie eating contest, dog contests, etc.. and of course fireworks.

I am taking my grandson to a parade, then enjoying some of the events mentioned above. This afternoon we will put our boats in the water (we have a paddleboat, sailboat, and kayak) and go swimming.

Tonight we are taking an old train to see fireworks.

Tomorrow we will see fireworks too... :)

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Happy 4th of July to all AWers living stateside.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Happy Independence Day!

Got this in the mail:

The 4TH OF JULY

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Everyone of them were considered to be traitors by the British Government of the Colonies.

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred lives.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his Ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton,Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters.

He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
I honor America by revealing some personal information to the world via the funny pages.

tmplu080704.gif

Happy Fourth!

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
*waves flag*

Happy 4th, everyone!

I'm not sure what time our neighborhood is having the parade, but we're having one.

Also, I think there's food involved, so I likely won't be around here much after awhile. ;)

Logging off. Happy Fourth, everyone! :)

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Every year, my family watches 1776. It's a musical and not strict in its adherence to historical fact, but manages to convey, especially at the end, the power of the moment when all these men gave everything they had to their country in the simple act of signing their names to a document. We owe them so much.

Last edited:

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Oddly enough, no one here seems to care that's it's 4th of July (to be fair, they didn't care that it was Cinco de Mayo either)...go figure. Tourist season is over, so I'll probably just sit on the beach and watch the local kids shoot off their nightly batch of bottle rockets into the waves.

Happy 4th from Nayarit!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
We went to a little town parade this morning and I'll admit to getting kind of choked up when all the old veterans marched by. I'm getting soft as I age.

Later is a bonfire at the beach and fireworks over the Atlantic. Yay!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Cranky is working today, and my son is completely freaked out by crowds and fireworks, so it's a quiet day around here today. :)

Until tonight, when the fireworks start in earnest. Ugh.