I write for the delicious "feel" of it, how about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealeSourna

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.Neale-Sourna.com
It is our Independence Day, or at least mine. And this is my official declaration of intent to remain independent, of all the negative dross which can drag a creative writer down. [Oh, yeah, and "Pan's Labyrinth" is paused on the DVD.]

This is the thing.

It really settled on me the other day while revisiting the past at the Cleveland Art Museum's reopening, and after asking myself a bunch of silly questions of why I should continue to write and publish--why me, what is my importance.

And simply, the true basics of it all is that I write for the delicious feel of it. It takes my emotions everywhere, making me happy, or sad, or whatever "they," "my" characters, are emoting about. I actually "feel" it within me. It's as profound as time travel, teleporting, being in love, being in hate, or being indifferent. Whether I'm experiencing it in space, in Victorian England, or as an African vampire.

It's on the page, simple paper and ink, tiny pixels of daydreams and nightmares, but it makes, causes an actual "shift" within me, that is tangible. Not unlike the peculiar and shocking feeling I once had when a certain person looked at me at a party, and I "fell" inside. I had the distinctive feel of falling through soft space, which I remember all too clearly.

So, why is love for a person easier to remember than love personified in the body of a novel, script, or short story? Because it's easier to explain, probably.

But the feeling, THAT feeling. I take if for granted, and have pooh-poohed it to some extent because it is such an inherent part of me. But if I can craft this and have it make me feel this way, I should remember that others have told me so in their own way, or that even more others will feel it too, just by reading what I've written.

So then, who the heck am I to be so bourgeois and forgetful of this and to pooh anything? True feelings are precious and shared ones even more so, so those of us who write naked.

Don't lose the feeling my friends, and don't ever forget it, neglect it, or push it aside to die in hiding. Write and publish.

This is my official testimony. Do you feel it too?

TPCSWR

Unashamed Play School Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I write to get these damn ideas out of my head and writing is the best way I know how. I like, but don't actually love the process of writing, there's plenty of things I'd rather be doing (HELLO procrastination!). Instead I do it because I have so many ideas that I need to get down. And the dream of somehow, someday, hopefully being able to support myself through my writing, as unlikely as that may be (need to be published first, I'm still working on that).

t0neg0d

Registered
Reaction score
It takes my emotions everywhere, making me happy, or sad, or whatever "they," "my" characters, are emoting about. I actually "feel" it within me. It's as profound as time travel, teleporting, being in love, being in hate, or being indifferent.

Well said, but I'd like to add that this is also the reason I don't write many times. It is exhausting in this way and that is unfortunate.

And the dream of somehow, someday, hopefully being able to support myself through my writing, as unlikely as that may be (need to be published first, I'm still working on that).

This isn't necessarily true! Tech Writing, Copy (web, printable lit, PR, etc), Business Plan/Proposal, Instructional (classroom, book, etc) and many more. There are so many forms of writing and outside of mainstream literature, there is a good deal of money to made as well.

Last edited:

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I think of writing as "entertaining" in a way. I always wanted to be a film maker. Of course there can be only a few of those. I think of writing as the creation of something that should (hopefully) interact with an audience somewhere along the line. Although I gain satisfaction from writing, I think I like to go at it with a very narrow range of emotions. I can't write if too upset, or too happy. I feel great (dancing in the streets) when I actually can isolate and understand exactly what I am doing. This means I can do it again, and again. The more things I understand about what I am doing, the more I can use that understanding to repeat the success. So I guess when that happens, when I know I am using skill, not just accident, I feel about how you do.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I write for the money. And the chicks.

(Sigh. If only that were true.)

I've managed to carve a living out of that which I'm driven to do anyway, writing and reading. The proverbial silk purse out of the mangy old sow's ear. I've always written -- I've never seen it as an option, and I confess I have a hard time understanding those who don't. What do they do with all their ideas? How do they silence the voices in their heads?

I do know what you mean about the sheer, sensual pleasure of the action, though. I write all of my fiction long-hand, with one of many fountain pens, and the act of putting the words on the paper, the way the pen glides over the creamy surface, the way the ink shimmers for a moment, then slowly fades... it's just freakin' lovely. And filling pages, watching a notebook slowly fill up, day by day, word by word. There's an incredible, visceral pleasure and deep satisfaction there.

Of course, when you hit the point I'm at now -- 1400 pages needing typing, with a deadline so close it's practically gone already -- it becomes a bit of a slog, but the moments of sheer, ink-stained joy? They make it all worthwhile.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
It is our Independence Day, or at least mine. And this is my official declaration of intent to remain independent, of all the negative dross which can drag a creative writer down. [Oh, yeah, and "Pan's Labyrinth" is paused on the DVD.]

This is the thing.

It really settled on me the other day while revisiting the past at the Cleveland Art Museum's reopening, and after asking myself a bunch of silly questions of why I should continue to write and publish--why me, what is my importance.

And simply, the true basics of it all is that I write for the delicious feel of it. It takes my emotions everywhere, making me happy, or sad, or whatever "they," "my" characters, are emoting about. I actually "feel" it within me. It's as profound as time travel, teleporting, being in love, being in hate, or being indifferent. Whether I'm experiencing it in space, in Victorian England, or as an African vampire.

It's on the page, simple paper and ink, tiny pixels of daydreams and nightmares, but it makes, causes an actual "shift" within me, that is tangible. Not unlike the peculiar and shocking feeling I once had when a certain person looked at me at a party, and I "fell" inside. I had the distinctive feel of falling through soft space, which I remember all too clearly.

So, why is love for a person easier to remember than love personified in the body of a novel, script, or short story? Because it's easier to explain, probably.

But the feeling, THAT feeling. I take if for granted, and have pooh-poohed it to some extent because it is such an inherent part of me. But if I can craft this and have it make me feel this way, I should remember that others have told me so in their own way, or that even more others will feel it too, just by reading what I've written.

So then, who the heck am I to be so bourgeois and forgetful of this and to pooh anything? True feelings are precious and shared ones even more so, so those of us who write naked.

Don't lose the feeling my friends, and don't ever forget it, neglect it, or push it aside to die in hiding. Write and publish.

This is my official testimony. Do you feel it too?

I appreciate your testimony. I've only recently (within the last few days) gained back my love for writing. My creativity had been nipped in the bud, as it were, years ago through my problems with a not-so-nice publishing house, and it has only within the last few months begun to grow again.

Now that creativity is in bloom, and I am relishing in the desire to write out stories that make me feel, in a word, awesome.

For the last two years, I have written only to be published, and not for the feel of it. I lost my love for the Craft, as well as for creative thought, and I became dead inside. A stinking, putrifying soul that was miserable because I tried to create when the love just was not there.

When I got the love back, I felt a million times better about myself, and about my involvement in the Craft.

So I see where you're coming from, at least in part, when you talk about the 'Delicious Feel' of writing. Getting my ideas on the page is not enough. Getting my emotions, my desires, my loves, my hates, my very being onto that page makes me enjoy my Craft far more than anything else can. What matters to me now is that I put myself onto the page and, if the writing is good enough by my estimation, to submit it to a publishing house or a magazine, depending upon the kind of story I have written.

Again, I appreciate your testimony. Thank you for your post, and for the opportunity to speak my own heart on this matter. :)

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I'm guessing I have similar feelings regarding writing, only I'd never be able to (or wish to...no offense :) ) phrase/explain it in quite the same manner. Despite all the pain and frustration it brings me, I love to do it.

And in fact I think the pain and frustration come from that same love I feel for it. I get frustrated because others don't feel the same way about what I write. I want to evoke that same feeling in other people, too. I want that almost more than anything. I try to explain this as my desire to "entertain" people, but it's more than that. It's nice when people tell me they loved something I wrote. But I want something more. I want to really affect people, in a lasting way, the way writing has affected me.

Just one thing...

"Don't lose the feeling my friends, and don't ever forget it, neglect it, or push it aside to die in hiding. Write and publish."

Not necessarily publish. Not everyone seeks that (in the traditional means, or otherwise). I for example just want to share.

NealeSourna

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.Neale-Sourna.com
I actually have a recorded conversation of me from a few years back saying that one of the main reasons I'm writing is to get all this stuff that's in my head out for others, unfortunately, as someone else here has pointed out, now I have a bunch of novel sized notebooks with all my scribbles and corrections of those scribbles to be transcribed.

But, long ago, I had to really work for a complete, fresh idea, and the next one, now, usually not so hard. I'm backlogged and I think that's some of it. I want them to be good, REALLY good, but while I'm perfecting and procrastinating on my perfection and book layout and cover design (I author publish) and taking care of my Elance and Guru clients (pocket $$$$) and balancing my business files for IRS, I stray. I don't do what I love everyday, I do what I must, and then I realize I haven't touched what I love in months.

Is this how lovers fall out? At least my lovers are still waiting for me, for now. I try never to take them for granted, because they've been with me in some dark moments, and I guess that takes me back to my original declaration, that if "they" are real enough to be with me, then they are for others, so it's not just some college influenced intelligentsia idea of a kid born with the writing gene in a working class family. It's actually who I am.

So, I best restart, THEY await....

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
I write because THEY make me.

*shoves the thousands of little voices in her head to one side*

It's crowded in there.

Same here. Another reason for why I write is probably because I had a very early start (we're talking about four years old here), when my grandmother sat me down with a pencil and paper and a dictionary and told me to write the stories out so she could enjoy them after she was done talking to my mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.