PDA

View Full Version : Near Death Experiences?

Kalyke
07-04-2008, 02:00 AM
I got about 45 minutes from death when I was 21. I had a huge infection that I had apparently lived with for over a year. When they dragged me to the hospital, I was told that there were doctors there who had never seen such and infection. (I really dispute this). Anyway, my white blood count and everything told them I was about to die.

When I look back, I remember I wasn't scared at all. I was told that I was "white," (with no blood) to the face, as all the blood left my limbs to take care of the wounded area. Everything seemed okay to me. I think I made sense, and I answered questions, but really didn't want to talk. I was told I was in shock. (Oh, it was severe paratenitus, not getting shot or anything)

I had a friend though who was brought into the hospital having a heart attack. He gives the whole "tunnel" and being told to "go back" thing that you hear sometimes.

So I think I was far enough away from actually dying not to experience this "typical" near death experience.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences on this matter. I really don't want it to become a debate about religion though, but it would be interested to know if religion has anything to do with whether you see a "tunnel with angles at the other side." From my experience, I saw big operating room lights (or mirrors) and nurses standing over me.

JamieFord
07-04-2008, 02:25 AM
My older brother spent a month and a half in a coma from an aneurysm. He was pretty much on life support and then he slowly came out of it. He said that while he was in that coma, he saw three people--my grandmother, an uncle and an aunt. The grandmother and uncle had passed away years earlier. But my aunt was NOT dead. She was in a nursing home in the late stages of alzheimer's and died a year later. Freaky...

CATastrophe
07-04-2008, 09:00 PM
The website I maintain has been online for about 14 years and has hundreds of near death stories. The link is in my signature if you wish to check it out.

She_wulf
07-04-2008, 09:38 PM

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences on this matter. I really don't want it to become a debate about religion though, but it would be interested to know if religion has anything to do with whether you see a "tunnel with angles at the other side." From my experience, I saw big operating room lights (or mirrors) and nurses standing over me.
When I was twelve or possibly younger I went to my aunt's house for Christmas dinner at the beginning of the break. I snuck a turkey sandwich (for later) in my pocket. I ate it hours later on the ride home.

Guess what I got? That's right, salmonella. Within a day or so, I couldn't keep anything down and ran a high fever. Late at night (which night I'm not sure) I remember having a fever dream. I was walking down a church aisle. Everything was white. Everything. As I walked toward the front (may have been getting married or something like that - my idea of a nightmare even then) the floor became a tapestry. The tapestry started to unravel and I fell through. I couldn't stop walking for some reason even though I knew I would fall through.

When I did, I woke up. Then threw up. Then tried to drink some soda mom gave me with aspirin, then fell back to sleep to have it start over. This time I went through and into a world of flame. Jaws came at me from the flame ready to eat me.

I woke up again. Mom had me in a tub of ice water. (she was a nurse and worked at the local nursing home part time.)

During the night I remember dreaming it at least three times. It was always the same.

The last time I woke up that night mom injected me with penicillin. She'd called the doctor at the nursing home on Christmas night and got him to authorize approval for my Dad to pick up a bottle of penicillin from the nursing home stock.

I was running a fever of 107, or so I was told.

Another vacation I had bronchitis and walking pneumonia. Had the dream then too. Fever? Yeah, 105 plus.

I always managed to get sick during Christmas break or Spring Break.

I was real religious as a child, and have to this day been REAL scared if anyone asks me "the question" I tend to run like H...ll at that point.

Amy

Kalyke
07-05-2008, 01:26 AM
I was real religious as a child, and have to this day been REAL scared if anyone asks me "the question" I tend to run like H...ll at that point.

Amy

That is a really good statement-- it means a lot.

Oh, I have to explain that one of my characters in my book "nearly" died-- and people said he died, but he doesn't believe it (he's more a rationalist, If you die, you don't come back) he thinks, but at some point he will need to face "It" again.

Danger Jane
07-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Have you heard of Ninety Minutes in Heaven? The author himself was pronounced dead at the scene of a car wreck, and somehow came back to life after ninety minutes of death. I think three different EMTs called him dead?

Anyway, the book is partly about the 90 minutes he was in heaven, and partly about how pissed he was afterward, with his injuries being so incredibly severe and all. Might be worth reading, although this is probably past near death.

GeorgeK
07-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I coded from anaphylactic shock and was suddenly in not a bright place, but a comfortably lit area that was sort of fuzzy or maybe foggy. Maybe it was simply too big of a room for me to see the walls or ceiling? Someone, I assume God, patted me on the back and it was like a warm comforting pat of an old friend that you haven't seen in a long time. He said, "You haven't been here for a while. You can stay if you want, but I think you still have things that need to be done." Then I saw my kids, but they were not the toddlers that they were then, they were adults and my daughter announced, "You can't go. We're not done with you yet." I wanted to turn around and see the being patting me on the back, but I knew if I did, that I wouldn't want to go and my kids needed me. Then I was back in my body and everything hurt, even my hair.

One brother of mine was lost in the snow in the mountains and laid down to rest. He found himself floating out of his body and thought, "Hey, this is pretty cool. Being dead isn't so bad. As he floated over the mountain enjoying the view he saw his friends looking for him and going in the wrond direction. He thought, "Oh man are they gonna get in trouble. I can't let them take a wrap for getting me killed." so he looked around and heard singing coming from the far side of the mountain. Following the song he saw lights in stained glass windows and saw the road that he'd need to get to. He flew back to his body and laid back down into it. Again he felt pain but slowly crawled his way up to the remote parochial girls' boarding school and collapsed through their front door.

Another brother who has nobody left in the family who's willing to even talk to him because he has always been a bully and a thief and has tried to steal credit for what others had done, coded during an operation and felt himself falling into some dark pit where things that screamed and moaned would claw at him. He knew he would be ripped to shreds and then heard the doctors shouting coding instructions and felt himself being pulled back to his body.

The two of us who had pleasant experiences have gone out of our way to talk to others who have had similar experiences. All of us are calmer and slower to anger than before and all had someone else to come back for. The other brother became even more spiteful and angry and reclusive to the point that I'm not even sure what state he lives in.

ideagirl
07-06-2008, 05:13 AM
My older brother spent a month and a half in a coma from an aneurysm. He was pretty much on life support and then he slowly came out of it. He said that while he was in that coma, he saw three people--my grandmother, an uncle and an aunt. The grandmother and uncle had passed away years earlier. But my aunt was NOT dead. She was in a nursing home in the late stages of alzheimer's and died a year later. Freaky...

A friend of my mom's was in a coma for a long time--I think it was three months--and she says that during that whole time, what she was aware of experiencing was hanging out with people that she liked or loved who, she was vaguely aware, she hadn't seen in a long time. When she woke up and recovered, she realized that everyone she'd been "hanging out with" while she was in the coma were relatives and friends who were dead.

It makes perfect sense to me that a person whose mind is gone--that is, a person in a coma or with late-stage Alzheimer's--would be in, for lack of a better term, the land of the dead.

Melenka
07-06-2008, 08:02 AM
When I was ten years old, my sister and I went rock climbing at a camp ground. Nothing fancy, just climb up these big old rocks on the other side of camp and run along the top. It was a lot higher up than we'd thought. While running, my shoe got caught in a crevice and I began to pitch over the side. Everything slowed down, almost to a stop. I could "see" my family camp site - everyone chatting and preparing dinner. I said "I'm sorry", just in case my mom might hear it. And then my sister grabbed the edge of my shirt and hauled me back. We got my foot out but had to leave the shoe. 35 years later, my parents still have no idea.

A friend of mine "died" of heart failure when he was 14. He said it felt like that weightless sensation right before you fall asleep, only horribly uncomfortable. His mom is a doctor. She found him on the kitchen floor and gave him CPR. He said there was a light, but he always assumed it was neuro-chemical rather than spiritual. If he'd heard music, he would have been convinced there was an afterlife. :)

scout
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM
At age 7, my heart stopped on the operating table for what doctors termed a short time. I knew nothing about it until someone told me later. The doctor immediately grabbed my tongue to keep me from suffocating. In the process, he was bitten and I broke two teeth. I didn't experience anything during the operation.

However during his heart attack, my brother saw heaven and God. Colors, he said, like we've never seen. He described God as an orb, but added, "That isn't right, either." He added that our vocabulary cannot express what he saw. Beautiful and peaceful. He heard the words he had to go back and saw the tunnel and white light. He was in awe for 4 years, saving this sacred experience for himself and his wife, before he told me. He didn't tell many. This experience renewed his relationships with his children and others. Life became special rather than ordinary.

Platinu
07-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I just joined the forums and this caught my eye because of a similar experience I had. I've had about six near death experiences but only one where I was actually clinically dead. Some include falling through the ice on a glacier in Alaska while hiking it, being ran over by a horse drawn carriage, and others a bit less bazarre.

I was seventeen and had had bronchitis all summer long. School had started the week before and I was still suffering from this crazy illness that wouldn't seem to go away.

My regular doctor wouldn't give me anything new because I'd had an odd reaction to an antibiotic with him once. My mom grew angrier and angrier with him for what she called 'dragging his feet' and finally took me to a new doctor.

This doctor wasn't hesitant in the least to give me a new drug that, in his words, "No one's allergic to. And in the rare case where they are, it's always very mild."

So his nurse gives me a shot in the hip and while I'm zipping my pants back up, I notice the walls moving a bit strangely. When I look from one spot to another, the wall would slide past that point then 'snap' back into place.

My last words, until he was able to get my heart started again, were "Is this stuff supposed to make you dizzy?"

This is getting long (I'm terrible at leaving out details) so I'll sum up the rest. There was a lot of weirdness after that. They got me on the table, the doctor was screaming at and cursing the nurses, I kept going into and out of consciousness and had no idea who I was, where I was, or who these crazy people were. I tried to hit the doctor once because he was unzipping my pants but I couldn't move. I woke up once when he was beating on my chest and I remember being very frightened of those weird, crazy people in white.

When I was actually clinically dead I recall being the most peaceful I've ever been before in my life. It was amazing and I've always thought about that time. I probably dwell on it way more than is healthy actually, but it represents the most amazing moments of my life and I didn't have much fear of death before that time but since then I have no fear at all.

By the way, this cured my bronchitis completely.

(Hope that didn't bore anyone, if that was too long I'm sorry. I read the rules of posting but didn't see any 'rambling' clause.)

Giant Baby
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
The most significant experience in my life when I think of "near death" occurred last year on an airplane. It wasn't really "near death," but an introduction to how my mind adjusted to the liklihood that death was occuring to me then. Not sure it's what you're looking for.

We hit a pocket and plummeted for a fair distance. Unfortunately 2 flight attendants were injured (cuts and blows to the head) but all passengers were belted in at the time. I remember my mind went very, very calm as we were falling and I thought, "Oh this is how it happens." I didn't feel any fear until several minutes after it was over. It really wasn't too bad at the time. It was very still.

Lillyth
07-09-2008, 09:30 AM
I got about 45 minutes from death when I was 21. I had a huge infection that I had apparently lived with for over a year. When they dragged me to the hospital, I was told that there were doctors there who had never seen such and infection. (I really dispute this). Anyway, my white blood count and everything told them I was about to die.

When I look back, I remember I wasn't scared at all. I was told that I was "white," (with no blood) to the face, as all the blood left my limbs to take care of the wounded area. Everything seemed okay to me. I think I made sense, and I answered questions, but really didn't want to talk. I was told I was in shock. (Oh, it was severe paratenitus, not getting shot or anything)

I had a friend though who was brought into the hospital having a heart attack. He gives the whole "tunnel" and being told to "go back" thing that you hear sometimes.

So I think I was far enough away from actually dying not to experience this "typical" near death experience.

My son was kicked in the head by a horse when he was 17 months old.

He doesn't remember it now, but when he was three, he described it thusly:

Remember horsey? Horsey kick Adam. Horsey say sorry. Horsey say accident. Adam slide up BIG slide. Adam look back down at horsey. Horsey say accident. Horsey say sorry. Horsey say "Come back Adam". Adam slide back down slide. Adam back.

He pantomimed being shot above his body, seeing the horse and his body below, and coming back down.

I think it would be safe to substitute "tunnel" for "slide" in this instance...

Lillyth
07-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Oh, and I also had a time (similar to Platinu) where the doc gave me an injection. I was told I turned white like a sheet of paper, and my fever went up to 104. One minute I was in the chair, the next on a table, but I do, very clearly recall a long white tunnel and voices telling me to go back, that it was not my time, I had things to do.

That is the most clear of many bizarre times I could have died, but I'll just leave it at that one, as it is the most dramatic, and cut & dried.

Angelinity
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
i had a couple of close calls, but experienced no tunnel. i one, as i lost consciousness, i found myself floating in a deep purple-indigo space. i held up a mirror and saw the reflection of my aged face (a scary sight, though at the time i wasn't scared), and knew i would get past this and die much later.

ideagirl
07-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Remember horsey? Horsey kick Adam. Horsey say sorry. Horsey say accident. Adam slide up BIG slide. Adam look back down at horsey. Horsey say accident. Horsey say sorry. Horsey say "Come back Adam". Adam slide back down slide. Adam back.

wow, that's amazing!

Lillyth
07-10-2008, 12:20 AM
wow, that's amazing!
I think so too, and not just cuz he's my kid...;)