Authors Guild

Status
Not open for further replies.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. It's a great, enormously respected organization that offers a whoooole lot for basically very little money (about $90 the first year).

They only accept traditionally published authors (at times, they will look at the credentials of some self-published who have impressive credentials). Since I believe you are a traditionally published author you shouldn't have any trouble. Everything they do is great. I look forward to their fabulous quarterly bulletin. If you join, you'll get an initial envelope filled fabulous material (publishing, legal they offer at no charge, medical, etc.). Take a look at their Officers and their Council and Ex Members of the Council. Lots of names which I believe you'll know and respect, and they really are involved.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I am traditionally published.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Much appreciated.

writergirl08

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.StephanieDube.com
I'm a member of the Author's Guild and they are WONDERFUL. They've already been helping me with a few issues and the advice is invaluable.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I see that magazine writers can join if they're published three articles in general circulation magazines, which they define as those that would appear on a newsstand. Would things like Bird Talk and Animal Wellness count? You can get them in most bookstores, although the're in a niche, so I'm not sure how that fits into their definition.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of these organizations have lower rate insurance for freelancers? I think I recall that one had, Something like SAG. I've had articles published but not in "general circulation" which I take it is news-stand?

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Insurance

Do any of these organizations have lower rate insurance for freelancers? I think I recall that one had, Something like SAG. I've had articles published but not in "general circulation" which I take it is news-stand?

Two I can think of off the top of my head are:

1. Society of Children's Book Writer's and Illustrators.

2. mediabistro.com

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
National Writers Union and Freelancers Union both have insurance schemes of some kind as well.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread, by the way. I think that joining professional organizations is a great idea. You find out about conferences, recent laws, things that might help you, sometimes there might be work postings and you get contacts. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.