Denvention 3 - 66th Annual World Science Fiction Convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could, it's only a 2 hour flight from Calgary, but I's too poor.

Be sure to look for Adrian, Dawno. He'll be there before heading up to Calgary for Con-Vention24 about a week later, where he's a guest of honour. (I am going to that one, it's only an hour drive from my house, no expensive hotels to worry about.)

Anyway, looking forward to attending Worldcon vicariously through this thread. :)

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on being there, and I'm bringing my wife this time, so you will all be able to meet the saint who has lived with me for 30 years. (August 12 will be our 30th anniversary:))

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go, I just need to find a sitter for the weekend. Looks like it's going to be a blast!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
If you come to WorldCon, find me! I am getting ribbons printed up that say "Do You Know Dawno?" and "I Know Dawno!" for your con badge :D

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. Dawno, remember I introduced you to my friend Melody at Baycon? She and her husband will have a booth in the dealer's room to sell books & stuff. I'll tell her to keep an eye out for you.

Have fun at the con!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will be the 5'7" gal with long brown hair wearing a pink polo shirt whose name badge says Dawno. :)

I will have my sequined Minnie Mouse ears somewhere about my person, maybe on, maybe not.
Dawno_SE80x80.gif
(That picture isn't totally accurate, I let my bangs grow out and haven't decided whether or not I'm going to cut them short again ETA: I have bangs again)

I'll post some get together spots/times when I get there and have conferred with my co-conspirators fellow con-attendees.

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
We'll be getting in late Thursday night. Staying at the Sheraton. Any thoughts on where we can all meet up?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting into Denver early on the 5th. I can scope out some stuff and suggest some places for lunch or dinner.

The closest hotel to the convention is the Hyatt.

The Sheraton is the party hotel (lucky Roger!) and there's a Making Light party on Friday night somewhere in the Sheraton, I hope to go.

I have a reservation at the Hyatt at the convention rate which I can transfer to someone else if contacted before this weekend, otherwise I'm canceling the reservation as I've decided to share a room elsewhere with some friends - The room has two double beds but it's not a suite (it's about 400 sq ft room) supposed to have a city view and be somewhere above the 4th floor. The Hyatt is about 3.5 blocks from the convention center.

Weather for Denver next week looks to be hot. Average temps for the convention days are 85F to 97F. Low chance of rainfall. Humidity is usually low as well - 11% today for example. Keep hydrated. Also, if you have had any altitude related issues (I get migraines), don't forget that Denver is called "The Mile High City" :)

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Weather for Denver next week looks to be hot. Average temps for the convention days are 85F to 97F. Low chance of rainfall. Humidity is usually low as well - 11% today for example. Keep hydrated. Also, if you have had any altitude related issues (I get migraines), don't forget that Denver is called "The Mile High City" :)

Not to rain on a boat or nothing but if you have altitude issues you shouldn't imbibe alcohol. Just a general reminder for all.

payitforward

Muppet Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nancyhigh.wordpress.com
Hi All!

I actually live in Denver, a mere 10 minutes away from the convention center, so I think it might be a crime if I don't go! If anyone wants to pm me for an AW coffee, please do! 'Tis would be grand to meet other AW folk at the convention!

Nancy

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Not to rain on a boat or nothing but if you have altitude issues you shouldn't imbibe alcohol. Just a general reminder for all.

Yes, keep hydrated. Drink 30% to 50% more water than you would normally drink. It's a semi-arid climate, and high altitude will dehydrate you faster all by itself anyway.

I'm getting into Denver early on the 5th. I can scope out some stuff and suggest some places for lunch or dinner.

Or, you know, you could ask some of us natives ;)

Deleted member 42

Locals -- I'm thinking about a meetup at the closest Tattered Covers? There's a cafe there, right?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, keep hydrated. Drink 30% to 50% more water than you would normally drink. It's a semi-arid climate, and high altitude will dehydrate you faster all by itself anyway.

Or, you know, you could ask some of us natives ;)

Natives are welcome to make suggestions!

Myrddin

Crawling toward the light
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saetter.com
Hi All!

I actually live in Denver, a mere 10 minutes away from the convention center, so I think it might be a crime if I don't go! If anyone wants to pm me for an AW coffee, please do! 'Tis would be grand to meet other AW folk at the convention!

Nancy
/wave :) Thanks for the post on my blog and sending me over here.

I also live in Denver, but don't ask me about bars and restaurants downtown. I haven't gone downtown except for the occasional trip to the office for years. Kids tend to stifle social activities such as going out and enjoying quiet restaurants. :) I have no idea what's still open or what's new and good.

I haven't been to the new Tattered Cover downtown, but the old one in Cherry Creek had a nice cafe. I'd assume the new one has one too. It's right on the 16th street mall (pedestrian only street with free buses shuttling up and down the street) so it's very accessible from the Convention Center and not closed to people who aren't going to the convention.

I'm still not sure which days I'll be attending the con (Thursday or Saturday), but I'd love to meet some of you all. I mostly lurk at AW, but I'm always looking to meet up with other writers. And maybe getting to know some of you better will make me lurk less. :)

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Oh yay! I was saved from having to remember everything that's down there... here you go, from this site: http://www.downtowndenver.com/BID/BID16thStreetMall.htm

The Denver Pavilions at Glenarm Place offers more than 50 shops and restaurants, including:
Virgin Records Megastore
NikeTown
Maggiano's Little Italy
Hard Rock Cafe
Gap
Lucky Strike Lanes.
There's also a 15-screen United Artists movie theater.
(Links to members of the Downtown Denver Partnership.)

Tabor Center at Lawrence Street offers:
The Cheesecake Factory
ESPN ZoneThe Purple Martini
The two-block long retail center recently completed a $25 million renovation, and features a revamped interior and exterior, and new shops.

16th Street Mall Sidewalk Cafés
  • Quizno’s – 216 16th St.
  • Supreme Court @ The Sheraton Denver
  • Capitol Bar @ The Sheraton Denver
  • Bravo Ristorante @ The Sheraton Denver
  • Starbucks Coffee – 303 16th St.
  • Johnny Rockets – 403 16th St.
  • Corner Bakery – 500 16th St.
  • Earls – 1600 Glenarm
  • Peet’s Coffee & Tea – 1600 Glenarm
  • Cook’s Fresh Market – 1600 Glenarm
  • Hard Rock Café – 500 16th St.
  • Marlowe’s – 501 16th St.
  • Paramount Café – 509 16th St.
  • Appaloosa Grill – 535 16th St.
  • Starbucks Coffee – 700 16th St.
  • Jamba Juice – 701 16th St.
  • Suzy Q’s Deli & Frozen Yogurt – 709 16th St.
  • Chili’s Too – 951 16th St.
  • Good Times – 951 16th St.
  • Rialto Café – 934 16th St.
  • Starbucks Coffee – 934 16th St.
  • Rock Bottom Brewery – 1001 16th St.
  • Paradise Bakery – 1001 16th St.
  • Tokyo Joe’s – 1001 16th St.
  • Lannie’s Clocktower Cabaret – 16th & Arapahoe
  • Palomino Restaurant Rotisseria Bar @ Skyline Park
  • Corner Bakery – 1147 16th St.
  • Willie G’s Seafood and Steakhouse – 16th & Lawrence
  • Cheesecake Factory – 1201 16th St. (open seasonally)
  • Noodles & Co. – 1460 16th St.
  • Chipotle Mexican Grill – 1480 16th St.
  • Starbucks Coffee – 1490 16th St.
  • Illegal Pete’s – 1530 16th St.
  • Gumbo's - 1530 16th St.
  • Dixon’s Downtown Grill – 1610 16th St.
  • Starbucks Coffee – 1750 16th St.

In addition to the shops at Denver Pavilions and Tabor Center, other shopping destinations on the Mall include: Tattered Cover Bookstore (Wynkoop Street), Overland Sheepskin Co. and other shops at Writer Square (Lawrence Street), a number of specialty stores at Curtis Street (Breaking the Mold Candle Co., Ann Taylor Loft, The Children's Place), Ross Dress for Less and Dress Barn (Stout Street), TJ Maxx (California Street) and many, many others.
.... so yeah, there's a few things. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.