Do you communicate as well with your mouth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
as you do your hands?

This reads a bit kinky but what I mean is, are you able to speak as well as you write?

I speak less than I write and my thoughts flow best from my brain to my right hand than from my brain to my mouth.

Gehanna

Anaparenna

Just Another Exquisite Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.conjurewords.com
When I am in the classroom with students, yes, although that's much different than my writing. In small groups, or one-on-one, nope. I'm worrying about this right now, since I have an interview tomorrow. Eeep!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Wha: I am a motor mouth with the flying hands and all. When I write I tend to be direct and to the point. :poke:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
No matter. Why talk like write anyway. Nobody do that – maybe some eccentric okay maybe, one stuck-up person trying to impress. Talk, write. One good, other good, two different. Different purpose, even between some write and other write. Context makes it change, what's appropriate. Which? Both. Write and talk.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
it depends on the situation. i break off on random tangents that make sense to only a very few people...for instance, there was a mercedes in a parking lot that was shut off, but one headlight was on. I spent the next five minutes wondering aloud why such a thing was possible, and what it implied/could result in. I also happen to like the word hodgepodge today. don't ask me why. i don't know. i really have no idea. hodgepodge. hodgepodge. what a funny word! hodgepodge...

anyway, i tend to write with a larger vocabulary than i talk, and the ability to revise is most definitely a plus, but on the whole...since my writing is not nearly as spectacular as i would like it to be, i would say that my skill is about the same.

i went to my mother's negotiating class when i was seven. does that say anything about my persuasive essays?

i don't know why i put that. just thought it was pertinant i guess.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
i'm a babbling idiot. how that compares with my writing is unclear.

Well, I am a babbling fool as well, and I used to write very very long stories, I also hand talk--

But now I have learned to write shorter, and I can actually keep my mouth shut for . . . well forget it--I still blabber non-stop.

Shawn

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
reph said:
No matter. Why talk like write anyway. Nobody do that – maybe some eccentric okay maybe, one stuck-up person trying to impress. Talk, write. One good, other good, two different. Different purpose, even between some write and other write. Context makes it change, what's appropriate. Which? Both. Write and talk.
I'm betting you pulled something while typing this.

I stumble and st-stammer terribly when I'm nervous, and sometimes when I'm not. I definitely write better than I talk.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Can we just go back to the original, kinky version of the question?

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I honestly don't know if I speak as well as I write. I never listen to myself. But for the sake of an answer, I think I speak pretty much the way I write and vice versa. My brain goes to my mouth and my hands, though my mouth is closer to my brain, so it comes out quicker. :)
Joanne

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm clearer when I write than when I talk. Also, I tend to be humorous when I speak, not so much when I write. But, I can talk face to face with you a lot better than if you had me on the phone. That's when I start to stammer and double-speak, without even knowing it. Guess that's why I process the health insurance claims and don't answer questions about them on the phone (aka, CSR).

WVWG

Compton

Registered
Reaction score
Also consider that your writing can be edited, doing so with 'speaking' is decidedly more difficult:

"Uh, well, what I meant to say... Uhh... Uhhh... Yeah"

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
I...Um...Well...Y'sknow, tend to rattle incessantly...and um...things like that, and.....OOooh! Shiney!

Er...what was the question again?

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Hell yes. I occasionally think about just not speaking, and carrying around a keyboard linked to a text-to-speech program.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I can generally talk very lucidly, provided I'm sufficiently interested in the subject. If I get bored I just mumble incoherently and I certainly can't do smalltalk. And since my general day-to-day encounters are largely smalltalk-based, I'm pretty sure I come across like Rain Man. Also, I often spend so long thinking about what I'm going to say that by the time I get around to saying it, it doesn't matter. Which is annoying.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I've been told that it would take some sort of miracle to make me shut up. I speak well though. Public speaking is a thrill to me, and I enjoy it just as much as I enjoy writing.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I would talk more if I could get rid of my accent. I feel like the sound of my voice makes me "seem" less intelligent than I am. Lord knows, I'm no genius as it is and the last thing I need is to come across as being a complete pea-brain.

The second reason I wish I could get rid of my accent is because of the line of work I am in. My voice is perfect for cutting through behavioral issues when dealing with certain personality disorders but my accent nearly destroys the soothing tone required when dealing with grief, certain mood disorders and etc.

While I have not had anyone complain to me personally about my voice, the issue stems from the "stereotype" attributed to individuals who hail from the state where I live. That state being Kentucky in the USA.

Granted my hair is long, I am barefoot (at the moment) and I do have chickens but there are NO broken down cars on my property, I do not have a porch with rocking chairs on it, I don't own a shotgun and I do not live in a house with wheels on it. Oh yes and one last very important point...I was NOT inbred! lol

Gehanna

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
Gehanna said:
I would talk more if I could get rid of my accent. I feel like the sound of my voice makes me "seem" less intelligent than I am. Lord knows, I'm no genius as it is and the last thing I need is to come across as being a complete pea-brain.

If it's any consolation, Gehanna, I know several Dutch guys who positively -adore- a southern accent, and they do NOT think anyone who speaks that way is a pea-brain. ;)

OTOH, I have a Swedish friend who always teases me about my bad Okie accent (which only seems noticable when I get wound up).

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I try to talk in complete sentences, which is much harder than it seems. If I'm really into a conversation, I tend to get quite animated and start sounding like that hyperactive guy with the ponytail on those exercise infomercials. Then I realize that everyone I'm speaking to has backed off a pace or two and I reign myself in ... until the next interesting topic comes up. Thing is, I'm interested in just about everything, so before you know it, I'm getting louder again and waving my arms around and ... okay, I'll shut up now.
biggrin.gif

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
I actually dated a guy once, who could out-talk me! And if you know me, you'd know what an accomplishment that is.

Needless to say, he broke up with me, because...Well, he felt he really couldn't get serious with a woman he couldn't carry on a conversation with.:Smack:

Anaparenna

Just Another Exquisite Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.conjurewords.com
The second reason I wish I could get rid of my accent is because of the line of work I am in. My voice is perfect for cutting through behavioral issues when dealing with certain personality disorders but my accent nearly destroys the soothing tone required when dealing with grief, certain mood disorders and etc.

While I have not had anyone complain to me personally about my voice, the issue stems from the "stereotype" attributed to individuals who hail from the state where I live. That state being Kentucky in the USA.

I'm in Texas. I actually, um, enhance my drawl a bit at times to deal with similar situations. I've noticed the drawl is soothing to kids, whom I usually work with. Non-threatening, perhaps? Interesting, the different takes on accents in different areas.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Gehanna said:

Granted my hair is long, I am barefoot (at the moment) and I do have chickens but there are NO broken down cars on my property, I do not have a porch with rocking chairs on it, I don't own a shotgun and I do not live in a house with wheels on it. Oh yes and one last very important point...I was NOT inbred! lol

Gehanna

Oh, girl, do I ever know what you mean. West Virginia's reputation isn't much better than Kentuck's. Hell, some people on the West Coast still think we're part of Virginia. Anyway, I learned a long time ago to be proud of my accent. To a lot of people, it is soothing, it is charming, and I find my accent sets people at ease immediately. They don't automatically assume I'm stupid because I talk the way I do - if you're intelligent and someone spends five minutes talking with you and really listening to what you have to say, the thought of your accent is put completely out of their mind in favor of the substance of your conversation. At least, that's been my experience. I said above I'm not comfortable on the phone - I do better with someone face to face when I can read their reactions. But, I find that I can get a lot achieved on the phone rather quickly based on the substance of my responses (when I can choke'em out) without resorting to the cliche' "honey", "sweetie" and "sugar".

It's all in your attitude and confidence in yourself. If your mind tells you your accent is holding you back, it will. If it tells you it's an asset, it'll be an asset.

WVWG (loving the way she talks...)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.