PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Renting on East Coast

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I was originally going to celebrate my birthday with a party, but I don't think I want to do that anymore.

Iíve always wanted to hang out at a house right on the ocean for a week or two. There are several east coast states I havenít been to, so I was wondering if someone could suggest an area or place to relax at that isnít outrageously priced. Where there is a grocery store within the area. Maine, New Hampshire and the Carolinas sound nice.

Or do you have a better idea? :)

rhymegirl
07-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Come to Rhode Island! We are the Ocean State.

maestrowork
07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Cape Cod is very nice.

North and South Carolina?

Long Island, NY?

SherryTex
07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Delleware is one of the cheapest places to beach around. Also, southern east tip of Maryland.

quickWit
07-03-2008, 07:16 PM
The Outer Banks in NC is great. Jersey shore is also very nice. I'm not sure what you'd consider 'outrageously expensive' of course, and the time of year makes a big difference.

WendyNYC
07-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Maine is fantastic, but it stays pretty chilly for a long time, and the beaches are, from what I remember, rocky and the ocean is coooold. Are you looking for sand dunes or rugged beauty? I have friends who adore NC beaches.

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Come to Rhode Island! We are the Ocean State.15 hour drive to Rhode Island.

Cape Cod is very nice.

Long Island, NY?I've been to Cape Cod.

Delleware is one of the cheapest places to beach around. Also, southern east tip of Maryland.Thank you. I'll look into Delaware. Eh... I'll be seeing Maryland soon enough. :)

The Outer Banks in NC is great. Jersey shore is also very nice. I'm not sure what you'd consider 'outrageously expensive' of course, and the time of year makes a big difference.Outrageously expensive meaning over $200 a day to rent. I'm looking at August.

Hobbes
07-03-2008, 07:21 PM
How about the west coast? The Washington and northern Oregon coast lines are simply awsome!

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Maine is fantastic, but it stays pretty chilly for a long time, and the beaches are, from what I remember, rocky and the ocean is coooold. Are you looking for sand dunes or rugged beauty? I have friends who adore NC beaches.I don't mind chilly. I'm not one who lays out. I'd like to sit out on a porch by the ocean, read and write and listen to the waves. I've heard Maine is beautiful.

WendyNYC
07-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Cape Cod is very nice.

Long Island, NY?

The Hamptons are crazy expensive, and you usually have to rent for a whole season or at least a month. Fire Island, NY is more affordable. It's nice (no cars) and low key (well, depending on the area).

WendyNYC
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Outrageously expensive meaning over $200 a day to rent. I'm looking at August.

It will be tough to find something on the ocean in August for $200/day. Is *near* the ocean acceptable?

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 07:29 PM
How about the west coast? The Washington and northern Oregon coast lines are simply awsome!The west coast is beautiful. I've been to several places in Cali. I'll be vacationing alone and thought a rental on the ocean would be perfect.

I've heard Oregon is beautiful and my mom's favorite city is Seattle.

The Hamptons are crazy expensive, and you usually have to rent for a whole season or at least a month. Fire Island, NY is more affordable. It's nice (no cars) and low key (well, depending on the area).I figured the Hamptons would be expensive. I think my cousin has vacationed at Hilton Head.

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 07:30 PM
It will be tough to find something on the ocean in August for $200/day. Is *near* the ocean acceptable?NO! I really, really want to get something on the ocean. I thought with today's economy, people might have a problem renting and prices might be lower than normal.

WendyNYC
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
The price of rentals actually went UP for Long Island beaches this year, since fewer people are in the mood to buy anything. But other areas might be different.

Jersey Chick
07-03-2008, 07:36 PM
NJ's Long Beach Island (LBI) usually has some oceanfront properties - but the listings I checked didn't give prices - you have to email for quotes...

However, they do rent by the week - I just don't know how quickly they book up.

LBI is nice and relaxing - no boardwalk so there's not the same kind of crowd that Seaside or Pt. Pleasant has. I haven't been there in a few years, but I used to love vacationing there...

Just a thought ;)

quickWit
07-03-2008, 07:39 PM
You can do a quick search of OBX rentals through http://www.joelambjr.com/ and see what you can come up with. They're the realtor we've been using for years and they're quite good. I do think it's going to be tough for you to find a place, though. Most oceanfront homes are pretty extravagant.

What about on a sound or bay? Those can be really nice, they're less expensive and you're practically at the ocean.

Mela
07-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Years ago, my ex and I vacationed on the Outer Banks and we were able to get a house right on the ocean for, say $500-$600 a week.
Now that was YEARS ago - early 90s, but I'm wondering if it's still a good deal?
Other than that, I'd say Delaware or Md. would be next in line. Jersey tends to be pricey but because of the economy, maybe there are still bargains to be had.

WendyNYC
07-03-2008, 07:44 PM
This is going to sound crazy but I'm just putting it out there: have you thought about Costa Rica? That's if you are willing to fly, of course. Beaches are fantastic and rentals (I think) are not so terribly expensive. I think August has nice weather on the Pacific side.

quickWit
07-03-2008, 07:46 PM
NJ's Long Beach Island (LBI) usually has some oceanfront properties - but the listings I checked didn't give prices - you have to email for quotes...

LBI is nice and relaxing - no boardwalk so there's not the same kind of crowd that Seaside or Pt. Pleasant has. I haven't been there in a few years, but I used to love vacationing there...

Just a thought ;)

I spend a lot of time on LBI, and the last thing we need is a crazy train. :D

Actually, it hasn't been as crowded this year as usual, so that might be something. But as others have said, I don't think it's relatively cheap.

Siddow
07-03-2008, 07:49 PM
The Gulf coast is so much nicer. Have you thought about going down there? You can get a really nice condo in Gulf Shores for about $700/week right now.

I don't think you're looking to rough it, but there's a really nice state park on Hunting Island, SC...cabins are available for about $600/week. Parts of GI Jane and Forest Gump were filmed there; it's really beautiful. Plus, there's a great pub just outside the state park gates.

Wherever you land, check out www.vrbo.com. You can sometimes talk owners down in price, when they have a vacancy they're trying to fill.

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 08:02 PM
The price of rentals actually went UP for Long Island beaches this year, since fewer people are in the mood to buy anything. But other areas might be different.I wasn't really thinking NY or NJ. Nothing against you guys, it's just I'm picturing obnoxious kids running around the beach, crowds, etc. I was really looking for something a little more away from people. :D Somewhat secluded from crazies.

Just a thought ;)It's starting to sound like I won't be renting a home on the ocean.

You can do a quick search of OBX rentals through http://www.joelambjr.com/ and see what you can come up with. They're the realtor we've been using for years and they're quite good. I do think it's going to be tough for you to find a place, though. Most oceanfront homes are pretty extravagant.

What about on a sound or bay? Those can be really nice, they're less expensive and you're practically at the ocean.Thanks for the link. Looks like a good resource.

Years ago, my ex and I vacationed on the Outer Banks and we were able to get a house right on the ocean for, say $500-$600 a week.
Now that was YEARS ago - early 90s, but I'm wondering if it's still a good deal?
Other than that, I'd say Delaware or Md. would be next in line. Jersey tends to be pricey but because of the economy, maybe there are still bargains to be had.Thanks, and I have no clue what you mean by the "Outer Banks."

This is going to sound crazy but I'm just putting it out there: have you thought about Costa Rica? That's if you are willing to fly, of course. Beaches are fantastic and rentals (I think) are not so terribly expensive. I think August has nice weather on the Pacific side.It just isn't the same. If I was to travel, I'd go back to Ixtapa, cheap and isn't touristy like other places.

I spend a lot of time on LBI, and the last thing we need is a crazy train. :D
:tongue:

The Gulf coast is so much nicer. Have you thought about going down there? You can get a really nice condo in Gulf Shores for about $700/week right now.

I don't think you're looking to rough it, but there's a really nice state park on Hunting Island, SC...cabins are available for about $600/week. Parts of GI Jane and Forest Gump were filmed there; it's really beautiful. Plus, there's a great pub just outside the state park gates.

Wherever you land, check out www.vrbo.com (http://www.vrbo.com). You can sometimes talk owners down in price, when they have a vacancy they're trying to fill.I was just in Clearwater in April, so I'd like to try another area.

The whole roughing thing... unless he's in a thong with a collar, forget about it. :)

Thank you so much for the link. Another good resource.

Hobbes
07-03-2008, 08:10 PM
ToT, a couple of pics of the Washington coast. It's a bit more rugged with rocks and old-growth forests.

http://goroadtrip.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/washington-coast-sunset.jpg

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/np-pacific/olym1005.jpeg

WendyNYC
07-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I wasn't really thinking NY or NJ. Nothing against you guys, it's just I'm picturing obnoxious kids running around the beach, crowds, etc. I was really looking for something a little more away from people. :D Somewhat secluded from crazies.

The beaches are actually not crowded in many places out here because there are no hotels--your ONLY option is to rent or stay at a friend's house. The traffic to get there--that's another story.

ChaosTitan
07-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm probably biased, because I grew up there, but I'll agree with those who've suggested Delaware.

Best bet if you want to rent a house (although good luck this late in the season) is Bethany Beach or Fenwick Island. You're also very close to both Ocean City, MD and Rehoboth Beach, DE from those points, so you can hit several different beaches.

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 08:16 PM
ToT, a couple of pics of the Washington coast. It's a bit more rugged with rocks and old-growth forests.

http://goroadtrip.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/washington-coast-sunset.jpg

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/np-pacific/olym1005.jpegGorgeous, Hobbes. This is exactly what I was picturing. Is this Oregon or Washington?

The beaches are actually not crowded in many places out here because there are no hotels--your ONLY option is to rent or stay at a friend's house. The traffic to get there--that's another story.I appreciate all the information you gave me. I might look into rentals on the west coast too; otherwise, it looks like I'll be getting loaded at home. :D

Siddow
07-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Tot, check out Beaufort, SC. Nice low country area. Check out this one: http://www.vrbo.com/45429

Hobbes
07-03-2008, 08:19 PM
These pics are of Washington. You might also like Seaside, OR or Cannon Beach, OR, but while beautiful, might be a little touristy.

vixey
My mother-in-law has a house on the ocean (sorry, she no longer rents it) at the extreme southern part of NC on an island called Holden Beach. You might be able to rent a very small, older cottage (I'm thinking 30+ years old) on the water there for $1400/wk. There are several other islands below Wilmington, NC, that aren't as commecialized as the Outer Banks (tho I love that place too!) so the prices are less. You might look into condos, also.

One other consideration in looking at the east coast -from the Virginia coastline (where I live) on down the water is affected by the gulf stream and it gets very warm in the summer (around 80 degrees), as opposed to the northern beach waters which are much colder.

I'm salivating for my beach fix now!!!!

WendyNYC
Beaufort is a good suggestion. It's a pretty town, too.

Jersey Chick
07-03-2008, 08:20 PM
A while back, I used to spend the last week in July on LBI (lost it when I broke up with the guy... missed it more than I ever missed him!) - From what I remember, it's not like Seaside crowded - the beach is HUGE and was never overrun with people. Like I said, no boardwalk, so no games or rides and not a whole lot of rowdy people. They generally flock to Pt. Pleasant, Seaside, Seaside Park, Ocean City, Wildwood. You find a lot of families at Wildwood Crest (I think that's the family-oriented one).

There's also Cape May - which has a lot of Victorian houses and B&Bs - don't know how many kids you get there. I think they'd be bored, myself.

Well - you can't say I didn't try! :D

Hobbes
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
ToT, Google Images "Rialto Beach, WA." I think you'll like.

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I knew I could count on all of you for awesome suggestions.

Tot, check out Beaufort, SC. Nice low country area. Check out this one: http://www.vrbo.com/45429 This is pretty. I'm going to look into it more when I get home.

My mother-in-law has a house on the ocean (sorry, she no longer rents it) at the extreme southern part of NC on an island called Holden Beach. You might be able to rent a very small, older cottage (I'm thinking 30+ years old) on the water there for $1400/wk. There are several other islands below Wilmington, NC, that aren't as commecialized as the Outer Banks (tho I love that place too!) so the prices are less. You might look into condos, also.

One other consideration in looking at the east coast -from the Virginia coastline (where I live) on down the water is affected by the gulf stream and it gets very warm in the summer (around 80 degrees), as opposed to the northern beach waters which are much colder.

I'm salivating for my beach fix now!!!!Thanks for the information. I can do $1400 a week, and I don't care if the cottage is 30 + years. As long as it's clean and roaches won't crawl all over me while I sleep I'm fine.

A while back, I used to spend the last week in July on LBI (lost it when I broke up with the guy... missed it more than I ever missed him!) - From what I remember, it's not like Seaside crowded - the beach is HUGE and was never overrun with people. Like I said, no boardwalk, so no games or rides and not a whole lot of rowdy people. They generally flock to Pt. Pleasant, Seaside, Seaside Park, Ocean City, Wildwood. You find a lot of families at Wildwood Crest (I think that's the family-oriented one).

There's also Cape May - which has a lot of Victorian houses and B&Bs - don't know how many kids you get there. I think they'd be bored, myself.

Well - you can't say I didn't try! :DYou did try, Jersey Chick and I appreciate all the information you gave me. This weekend, I'm going to read over these suggestions, look up information and hopefully find where I want to stay. :)

ToT, Google Images "Rialto Beach, WA." I think you'll like.Ooooo! Now that's nice. This looks nice to go with my family, but I'll have to get my prescription of valium filled before then. :D I'm keeping this for possibe future vacations.

Jersey Chick
07-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I try to be the NJ Goodwill Ambassador - it's not all landfills and refineries! :D

Hey - come visit me at the shore! I'll be in Lavallette off and on all summer!

(do you think I could add a few more exclamation! marks!?!?)

WendyNYC
07-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I try to be the NJ Goodwill Ambassador - it's not all landfills and refineries! :D

My husband is from NJ and he keeps trying to convince me of that.

I'm kidding. There are many beautiful areas in NJ. It gets a bum rap!

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 09:08 PM

Hey - come visit me at the shore! I'll be in Lavallette off and on all summer!

(do you think I could add a few more exclamation! marks!?!?)
LOL! I think you should work for the Chamber of Commerce for NJ. Itís funny how people have certain perceptions of places. Letís take Chicago for instance, it isnít always cold and not all of us are armed. And weíve learned to duck for drive-by shootings.

I just googled Lavallette, NJ (http://www.newjerseyshore.com/lavallette.shtml) and it looks cute. I believe youíre younger than me, which is a problem. You see, when Iím out with younger people, I tend to forget how old I really am and wind up doing stupid things. And they ainít pretty.

The exclamation marks made me feel like you were really excited to help and wanted to hang out. I felt a bond reading this post. ;)

Jersey Chick
07-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, I'm almost 37, so it's not that young anymore - we do the family stuff now - Pt. Pleasant with the kids (Jenkinson's - more kids than you could ever want to see ;)) I tend to stay away from Seaside because that's where most of the clubs and club-chippies and young studmuffins hang out - I tend to stick out a LOT!

The Jersey shore is just my favorite place and so many people tend to think of NJ as one big refinery - so I have to do my part... :D

cray
07-03-2008, 09:12 PM
got to nj, tot!

you can do the refinery tour on one of your free days
:D

TrainofThought
07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
got to nj, tot!

you can do the refinery tour on one of your free days
:DThanks, Cray. You're always looking out for me.

I can take the winery refinery tour next time.

Again, thanks everyone. I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend.

Jersey Chick
07-03-2008, 09:20 PM
**facepalm**

The refineries are at the northern part of the state. The best shore is the southern part.

Wineries are in between - the wines are tasty, but they give me a headache :D

Mela
07-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah, JerseyChick, I'll agree with you there. People think of the Parkway, Elizabeth oil refineries, city skylines. Out by me in western Jersey, it's nothing like that - a lot of rolling fields and farm land. There IS a reason it's called the Garden State. Head out toward Cumberland County and it takes on another personality entirely.

When I was young we went to Asbury Park (before the riots) which is now seeing an incredible resurgence. But my favorite places are Ocean Grove, Pt. Pleasant (get away from the boardwalk and into the downtown - good antiquing) and Cape May and even Wildwood.

So Train, Jersey really does deserve a look EVEN THOUGH it probably will be on the pricier side. But who knows? You may get a deal.

Smiling Ted
07-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Umm...Have you considered the Great Lakes? They've got beaches, and water, and cooler temperatures.

Rolling Thunder
07-04-2008, 05:28 AM
Noone here suggested Ocean City Maryland? I haven't been there in years but we used to rent a condo for a weekend. Great place. I should have bought one on the beach years ago but...

http://www.oceancitycam.com/

robeiae
07-04-2008, 05:35 AM
The Outer Banks in NC is great.
That's the ticket. Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk.

Here's the company we always used when I was growing up: http://www.southernshores.com/

I like going there in the offseason, especially October. Cheaper, fewer people. In fact, I went there for my honeymoon.

cray
07-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Noone here suggested Ocean City Maryland? I haven't been there in years but we used to rent a condo for a weekend. Great place. I should have bought one on the beach years ago but...

http://www.oceancitycam.com/

meh....i think it's a step up from oc, nj but in recent years ocean city, md has become nearly as busy (maybe more) as the new jersey beaches.
tot needs some peace and quiet as near as i can tell.

Rolling Thunder
07-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Well, it is a family oriented place. But I think finding a quiet seaside resort this time of year will be tough.

cray
07-04-2008, 05:43 AM
true true

robeiae
07-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Not with these gas prices...

Btw, I was in Key Largo, today. Going home, I was shocked at how light the traffic was going South (into the Keys). Normally, the late afternoon on a day before a holiday--especially the 4th--has bumper to bumper traffic, all the way down. It was still busy, but not like in the past.

Oh, and I guess the Keys would be another good suggestion for ToT. Then she can come see me! What a bonus for her!

Rolling Thunder
07-04-2008, 06:03 AM
Oh, and I guess the Keys would be another good suggestion for ToT. Then she can come see me! What a bonus for her!

Only is she's going deep sea shark fishing and wants to save on the cost of bait...

Jersey Chick
07-04-2008, 06:05 AM
:roll:

TrainofThought
07-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Umm...Have you considered the Great Lakes? They've got beaches, and water, and cooler temperatures.Umm... yeah I live close to one - Lake Michigan. I want to hear the waves rising and falling on land, and not worry about beach closings because of toxins in the water. Thanks for the suggestion, Smiling Ted. I hope you're still smiling, because I can be funny.

http://www.oceancitycam.com/Thanks for the link, RT. I'll check it out. I don't want to overlook anything, and if I can do some bargaining, I might find something cheaper.

You never know with all the foreclosures throughout the U.S. you might find a good investment at a low price. :)

That's the ticket. Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk.

Here's the company we always used when I was growing up: http://www.southernshores.com/

I like going there in the offseason, especially October. Cheaper, fewer people. In fact, I went there for my honeymoon.Ooooo.. Another linky pooh. Thanks so much for the information. I'm definitely going to take a look at all these links and see what kind of costs I'm looking at.

tot needs some peace and quiet as near as i can tell.You know me so well. You're getting a good one for this post. ;)

Oh, and I guess the Keys would be another good suggestion for ToT. Then she can come see me! What a bonus for her!I was in your neck of the woods in March, but you HAD to go to Egypt didn't you. You couldn't cancel to meet ToT. :)

And you're right about the traffic, they've already been showing a percentage decrease on the news for travelers. People just can't afford it. I passed by a few gas stations by me and it's $4.35 a gallon - price gouging, and on July 1, our sales taxes went up to 10.25%. Bastids.

nerds
07-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Mystic CT, Point Judith R.I., Stonington CT.

Stonington

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2333/2292017099_b09d36a9e8.jpg

Mystic

http://lighthousegetaway.com/lights/NJ/barney1.jpg

Point Judith

http://www.sec.state.ri.us/library/image/landmarks/pointjudithlighthouse.jpg

The surrounding little towns in the CT River valley are fabulous too - Haddam, Essex, Deep River, etc. There's Gillette Castle, the Haddam Opera House, all kinds of nice stuff.

:)

WendyNYC
07-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey, ToT

I saw this in the paper and thought of you

25 Northeast Getaways (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/04/travel/escapes/04short.html?_r=1&ref=escapes&oref=slogin)

TrainofThought
07-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Mystic CT, Point Judith R.I., Stonington CT.

Stonington

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2333/2292017099_b09d36a9e8.jpg

Mystic

http://lighthousegetaway.com/lights/NJ/barney1.jpg

Point Judith

http://www.sec.state.ri.us/library/image/landmarks/pointjudithlighthouse.jpg

The surrounding little towns in the CT River valley are fabulous too - Haddam, Essex, Deep River, etc. There's Gillette Castle, the Haddam Opera House, all kinds of nice stuff.

:)WOW! Beautiful pics, NerdsRus. I'm checking into rentals today, so I appreciate the suggestions.

Hey, ToT

I saw this in the paper and thought of you

25 Northeast Getaways (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/04/travel/escapes/04short.html?_r=1&ref=escapes&oref=slogin)Aw, you are too nice, Wendy. Thank you very much.

rhymegirl
07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
WOW! Beautiful pics, NerdsRus. I'm checking into rentals today, so I appreciate the suggestions.

Aw, you are too nice, Wendy. Thank you very much.

If you go to Mystic, CT, I could meet you. It is about an hour away from me.

Fenika
07-06-2008, 01:06 AM
No no no, not Delaware!

We are crowded, lots of traffic, muddy waters. Terrible. You don't wish to come to Delaware.

;)

If you do decide to come here, PM me and I'll try to give you some tips. If you like bikes (pedal bikes that is) I work at the best rental shop at the beach ;)

Cheers,
Christina

stormie
07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
NJ shore isn't all crowded. The town I live in, and the town just south of me, are small and very quiet. There's a boardwalk but that's it. No amusements, not even miniature golf. But the house rentals are expensive, esp. on the ocean. I live in southern Monmouth County, which is central east NJ.

If you go farther south, like toward the tip of NJ, there are a few quiet towns with far less expensive ocean-front rentals. Wildwood Crest even has ocean-front condos. I think the barrier islands down there have less expensive houses and are quiet. Cape May is expensive.

As others have said, try Delaware or Maryland, too.

slcboston
07-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a room for rent. :e2brows:

However, it's not exactly quiet, and it certainly isn't by the shore. :D

(Also, there is a *bit* of a drive to get here if it's 15 hrs from where you are to R.I.) But I think that a hefty drive would be true of most of the places on the coast you could drive to. Have you considered, if it's someplace coastal you're after, staying closer to home along the Great Lakes? Lake Erie has some beautiful sunsets, and there are plenty of small little communities that dot the shores of Erie and Ontario.

TrainofThought
07-06-2008, 11:25 PM
If you go to Mystic, CT, I could meet you. It is about an hour away from me.I'm looking at so many places and now I'm getting confused.

No no no, not Delaware!

We are crowded, lots of traffic, muddy waters. Terrible. You don't wish to come to Delaware.

;)

If you do decide to come here, PM me and I'll try to give you some tips. If you like bikes (pedal bikes that is) I work at the best rental shop at the beach ;)

Cheers,
ChristinaLOL! Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

NJ shore isn't all crowded. The town I live in, and the town just south of me, are small and very quiet. There's a boardwalk but that's it. No amusements, not even miniature golf. But the house rentals are expensive, esp. on the ocean. I live in southern Monmouth County, which is central east NJ.

If you go farther south, like toward the tip of NJ, there are a few quiet towns with far less expensive ocean-front rentals. Wildwood Crest even has ocean-front condos. I think the barrier islands down there have less expensive houses and are quiet. Cape May is expensive.

As others have said, try Delaware or Maryland, too.Thanks, Stormie. I'll look at the southern part of NJ.

I have a room for rent. :e2brows:

However, it's not exactly quiet, and it certainly isn't by the shore. :D

(Also, there is a *bit* of a drive to get here if it's 15 hrs from where you are to R.I.) But I think that a hefty drive would be true of most of the places on the coast you could drive to. Have you considered, if it's someplace coastal you're after, staying closer to home along the Great Lakes? Lake Erie has some beautiful sunsets, and there are plenty of small little communities that dot the shores of Erie and Ontario.Do you, huh?

Anywhere on the east coast will be about a 15 hour or more road trip. I don't mind once I figure out where I'm going, and I can make stops along the way. If I hop on I-80, it will take me through IN, OH, and PA and then depending on where I want to go will shoot up or down.

Thanks for the great lakes suggestion though. I really want to celebrate in peace with the waves crashing in my ears while I sleep, read, write or daydream. :)

TrainofThought
07-19-2008, 12:45 AM
*Does :snoopy: dance*

I reserved two places for my 40th road trip celebration. :D One is cheaper than the other, but the other is a lot more private. Anyways, they are both in Mystic, CT.

The Whaler's Inn: http://www.whalersinnmystic.com/ (http://www.whalersinnmystic.com/)

Hereís a map of the area:

http://www.lighthousemaps.com/Mystic/MysticMapDT00.htm (http://www.lighthousemaps.com/Mystic/MysticMapDT00.htm)

Or

Steamboat Inn: http://www.steamboatinnmystic.com/ (http://www.steamboatinnmystic.com/)

Iím very excited about it now, and I want to thank everyone for all the information. I couldnít have found this place without ya. :D

nerds
07-19-2008, 02:04 AM
OMG ToT !!!!!

I have stayed at both, many times at the Whaler's, which of the two I like better because it's more New England in that they're happy to socialize with you if you feel like it and happy not to if you don't. Both places take very good care of you.

From the Whaler's you can walk up the road where Mystic Pizza was filmed (I recommend you rent that before you come, it's a fair representation of some of the local life), along which are the ocean, tons of shops/pubs, and the real Mystic Pizza. Since the film they have more than one location, all are excellent but the original place is, well, the original place.

If there's time don't forget the seaport - the Charles Morgan

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/2027248-The_Charles_W_Morgan-Mystic_Seaport.jpg

is there for touring when it's not out to sea full of students learning the old ways, and shipwrights still build small boats there the old way, which you are free to watch as long as you like. Best lemonade in the world, squeezed right in front of you onto ice and sugar.

The Aquarium, and if you're driving at all there's Essex CT, Gillette Castle in Haddam

http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/gillette.jpg

and Watch Hill R.I., all within a stone's throw.

Maryn
07-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Wow, sometimes the "Small, Small World" music is so loud! It's pretty amazing that someone watching this thread has stayed at both places.

Maybe you can meet for coffee or a drink, if you're both free? Buy me one, too; I've been living vicariously in this thread.

Maryn, home for the rest of the summer

nerds
07-19-2008, 02:15 AM
interiors of the castle -

http://www.intrepidtraveler.com/travels/images/gillette-castle-interior.jpg

http://www.westbrookinn.com/gillette_castle_inside.jpg

Cranky
07-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Oh, beautiful places, ToT!

I'm so jealous. Enjoy your trip!

nerds
07-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Wow, sometimes the "Small, Small World" music is so loud! It's pretty amazing that someone watching this thread has stayed at both places.

Well, I didn't always live in a steaming frothing pit of humanity. That's just lately. CT is my home state and I have been everywhere in it - not hard to do since it's the size of a stamp.

It's where my heart is.

I hope ToT and I can meet, I'm not that far away, just over the state line in MA. Come see us, Maryn. I don't know where you are but if you can, do.

Jersey Chick
07-19-2008, 02:52 AM
Oooohh..... Mystic is NICE... I was there on vacation when I was about 12 (and haven't made it back, much as I'd like to) and the seaport was INCREDIBLE. So was the aquarium, if memory serves..

I should add that to the list of places to take the kids when the littlest heathen is older... :D

talps
07-19-2008, 03:22 AM
Ah, northern New England is right in my wheelhouse. I'm California now, but I did have a high quality youth prowling around Maine & New Hampshire...

If you're looking for both serenity AND ocean, you will probably wanna steer clear of New Hampshire. It's my home state and I love it dearly, but the coastline is all of 15 miles long, and the primary oceanside lodging (Hampton Beach) is a bit like NY & NJ beaches. Fun, but hectic & touristy.

As for Maine, you might want to look into Boothbay Harbor and or Bar Harbor. And possibly even the Camden/Rockport area. Cozy smalltown havens right on the water. There'll be tourists, but not too many, and most of 'em will be types just lookin' to kick back and relax.

Good luck, Tater!

ETA: Heh. Shoulda' read the entire thread before posting, huh? Got all excited when I saw the NH thing. Anyway... Mystic is also truly lovely. Excellent choice!

TrainofThought
07-19-2008, 04:32 AM
OMG ToT !!!!!

I have stayed at both, many times at the Whaler's, which of the two I like better because it's more New England in that they're happy to socialize with you if you feel like it and happy not to if you don't. Both places take very good care of you.

The Aquarium, and if you're driving at all there's Essex CT, Gillette Castle in Haddam

http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/gillette.jpg

and Watch Hill R.I., all within a stone's throw.The Whaler, huh? Thanks for the information. It is cheaper, yet the Seaport is private. :D From what it looks like on the map, they're right over the bridge from one another. I saw the castle and put that on my list of things to do. I'm so excited because there's also a winery nearby (me likes wine). Thanks for all the information.

Maybe you can meet for coffee or a drink, if you're both free? Buy me one, too; I've been living vicariously in this thread.

Maryn, home for the rest of the summer I'll buy a drink, toast to you and chug it down. :)

Oh, beautiful places, ToT!

I'm so jealous. Enjoy your trip!Thanks, Cranky. I'm going to relax and get the most out of the things on that side of the world.

I hope ToT and I can meet, I'm not that far away, just over the state line in MA. Come see us, Maryn. I don't know where you are but if you can, do.;) I'll send you a PM.

ETA: Heh. Shoulda' read the entire thread before posting, huh? Got all excited when I saw the NH thing. Anyway... Mystic is also truly lovely. Excellent choice!:D Gotta love your enthusiasm, talps. Maybe next time, I'll head to Cali and stay with my uncle in Venice Beach. :)

rhymegirl
07-19-2008, 04:35 AM
;) I'll send you a PM.

Hey! What about me? I can go to Mystic.

TrainofThought
07-19-2008, 04:36 AM
Hey! What about me? I can go to Mystic.Psstt... I'll send you one too.

rhymegirl
07-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Psstt... I'll send you one too.

Excellent. Maybe that could be a movie title: Meet Me In Mystic.

Silver King
07-21-2008, 03:23 AM
Excellent. Maybe that could be a movie title: Meet Me In Mystic.
Sounds more like a thriller: Play Mystic for Me.