Revelation based fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Revelation based fiction (like the Left Behind series) - like it, love it, hate it?
What do you think are the pros and/or cons of this genre?
Would you write a story in this genre?

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
I'm sorry to say I've never read the Left Behind series. I know, I know, it's a great series but I just couldn't get into it for some reason. However, I think the market is a bit glutted for now as many of the writer guidelines and needs specify they do not want any end times fiction. Having said that, it might be fun to write a story but it may have to sit for a long time before it were to get published.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
DrRita said:
I'm sorry to say I've never read the Left Behind series. I know, I know, it's a great series but I just couldn't get into it for some reason. However, I think the market is a bit glutted for now as many of the writer guidelines and needs specify they do not want any end times fiction. Having said that, it might be fun to write a story but it may have to sit for a long time before it were to get published.

Dr. Rita is right. Matter of fact, I have written an end-times-with-a-twist novel (not a series, mind, just a stand-alone) called Gravity Fades. My agent dutifully sent it out to every CBA house, all to their massive disinterest. I even got that "thanks but no thanks" from the house presently doing my Joe Box Mystery series. They said that, while it was well-written, the LB books have pretty much satiated the publics' appetite for apocalyptic fiction, at least for now.

Hey, no problem. I'm glad the books did well, and spawned so many cash-cow spin-offs, thus making LaHaye and Jenkins into jillionaires, with mansions and boats and villas in the south of France and...what am I saying?? I wanted that!! For ME!!! (jk)

John

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Personally, I don't like it. But that hardly matters---there are clearly millions who do! My reasons for disliking it are partly theological (seems to be more about scaring people into belief than changing hearts) and partly literary (most apocolayptic fiction I have tried to read--including Left Behind--has been poorly written).

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
As we speak and live, I think we are seeing the stage set for the unfolding the end times reality. If you stop and think about the events that have led to our present time, nothing is really clear except in hindsight. We all have been taught what to expect and look for in the unfolding of prophecy and that is what most end times or Revelation based fiction reflects. Hence, it tends to be predictable, stereotypical and over done.

Since prophecy is grounded in the entire Bible, to study the old prophecies, their fulfillment and the confusion surrounding their fulfillment in history would help give fiction based on the remaining unfulfilled prophecies a more realistic approach. The Jewish nation had a preconceived stereotypical Messiah in mind and when Jesus came, he didn't fit the mold. It is also true of the book of Revelation, though we can understand the themes, it is extremely difficult to pin down the actual events. I remember a few years ago while I was doing a personal study on prophecy, the Lord saying to me at the time, "It's not going to be how you think it is. You'd best shore up your relationship with me so you won't be lead astray." I have never forgotten that.

Personally, I think anyone who writes that sort of fiction would have one heck of a research project to tackle before writing a word. As I said earlier, I haven't read the left-behind series but I do know that Jerry Jenkins knew he needed a theologian to help him. I'm not sure how closely it came to reality so I can't comment on that.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
skylarburris said:
Personally, I don't like it. But that hardly matters---there are clearly millions who do! My reasons for disliking it are partly theological (seems to be more about scaring people into belief than changing hearts) and partly literary (most apocolayptic fiction I have tried to read--including Left Behind--has been poorly written).

sky, you're not the first person who has said Left Behind was poorly written. (amazing how we break our necks struggling to make a well-written novel, and yet something poorly written is loved by all.) i've never read LB myself, i'm not into end times stuff. but i do agree with the Doc we are living in the end times. one day folks will look around and us "annoying" christians will be gone. POOF!!
kim

Status
Not open for further replies.