Nigerian Scammer Copies Harry Potter Book by HAND.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And what does that make you? I don't think I would feel good about making some people hand write out a book, who's not in the right, but thinks they will recieve some much needed money for some work they've done. These people are scaming money but it's their governments fault.

Am I wrong to think this is not a cool joke back at them? I know they're wrong in what they do but payback belong to God. And I don't agree with how they represent Him.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
ROFLMAFAO!!!!

Speaking of email scams...everyone here should keep an eye out for emails from Wells Fargo claiming unusual online activity from your account and Bank of America warning you about you about online credit card problems. Kthrok (my hubs and a Canadian citizen who has never held a Social Security Number and is therefore inelligible to have anything from US banks) recieved both in the last couple of days. Can't figure out what exactly they're going ot accomplish, but you never know. The Bank of America one gives a phone number that comes up as non-existant when reverse look up is performed on it and the Wells Fargo goes to a Denmark web addy. That's about all I can tell everyone.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
And what does that make you?
That makes me a person who is on the side of the scam busting folk. I did not get that person to copy a book, I'm just passing on the news.

If I had more time to spare I'd take up 419 Baiting as a hobby. I posted it here since it had a writing angle what with the scammer being so greedy that she copied out that whole book. No one forced her. Read the page, you'll see she was the one who contacted the baiter, not the other way around. She wanted his banking info to rob him; he got her to waste time and not prey on some other person instead.

The 419 scammers are heartless, dangerous people. They clean out the life savings of otherwise harmless people, preying on religious folk too innocent to see the wolf under that sheep skin.

There have been cases where they lured victims to their country, kidnapped, held them for ransom, and even murdered people.

The 419 Eaters are just giving them a taste of their own bitter pill--and they don't collect money from them. They stay within the law.

And who is to say that God isn't using the 419 Eaters to help others?

"When good men do nothing, evil triumphs." - Edmund Burke

Last edited:

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It could have been worse - they could have been asked to handwrite pages from my manuscript.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. That story was great. Those scammers deserved all they got. And a genius ploy to get them to hand write the book.

JJ

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Monstrously cruel to make anyone read Harry Potter, never mind copy it out by hand. I'm organizing a collection fund to be sent to these unfortunate persons, who just like the rest of us have internet service provider costs to pay. Please send your most generous donations directly to my PayPal account, thank you.

-Derek

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Derek. Any chance you could loan me a few bucks so I can contribute to the fund. I'm good for re-paying. Just with the price of beer and pizza fuel at the moment, it's getting harder to manage the budget. Promise I'll pay you back as soon as the fuel prices go back to normal.

JJ

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That makes me a person who is on the side of the scam busting folk. I did not get that person to copy a book, I'm just passing on the news.

If I had more time to spare I'd take up 419 Baiting as a hobby. I posted it here since it had a writing angle what with the scammer being so greedy that she copied out that whole book. No one forced her. Read the page, you'll see she was the one who contacted the baiter, not the other way around. She wanted his banking info to rob him; he got her to waste time and not prey on some other person instead.

The 419 scammers are heartless, dangerous people. They clean out the life savings of otherwise harmless people, preying on religious folk too innocent to see the wolf under that sheep skin.

There have been cases where they lured victims to their country, kidnapped, held them for ransom, and even murdered people.

The 419 Eaters are just giving them a taste of their own bitter pill--and they don't collect money from them. They stay within the law.

I thought about that later.

Way to stick it to them, though. How does it feel to be scammed? Terrible.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I've got some swampland in Florida if any one is interested.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score

Seriously. If these scammers put half their energies into something legitimate, they would probably be successful, productive citizens.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And what does that make you? I don't think I would feel good about making some people hand write out a book, who's not in the right, but thinks they will recieve some much needed money for some work they've done. These people are scaming money but it's their governments fault.
I want to see a justification of THAT statement.What in the world does the Nigerian government do that puts the blame on them?
Am I wrong to think this is not a cool joke back at them?
As in "two wrongs don't make a right?" It's a lot easier to justify taking up the scammer's time where he/she would otherwise be attempting to rip off people for many thousands of dollars than it is to deflect blame from the scammers to their government.

I've heard of people who take up the time of telemarketers making unsolicited phone calls, and telemarketers are arguably less harmful (at least the usual ones - some 419 scammers work by telephone!).

Having read that it's apparently a "she," I'd like to see a female scammer become a member of "The Church Of The Painted Breast."

There's more I'd like to respond to, but I think it would belong in one of those PC&E fora.

Well, I think I can say this here:
It could have been worse - they could have been asked to handwrite pages from my manuscript.
That's it! Just point them to trunknovels.com!

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Better yet, we'll make the read some of the angsty Ramones fanfiction I wrote back when I was like, thirteen or so. That'll reform them right quick!

(Not really; I think that would run afoul of the Geneva Convention and its rules on torture....)

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Speak of the devil, I just got a 419 letter!

It's from a UK banker who has 75 million from a dead Asian. The banker will transfer 5Mil to any account I care to name, then the balance afterwards, which he will generously SHARE with me. He plans to fly over to visit, isn't that nice?

I am astonished! The spell check seems to have been put to use.

Can't say the same for my phonetically spelled reply. The gist of which was me expressing enthusiastic approval for his evident sexual attractiveness, asking him for a pic of himself sans clothing, as I was in need of some inspiration for a weekend of non-stop self...uh...(you fill in the blanks, there's kids here and I don't want to make their parents cry).

In anticipation of his pic, I kindly provided him with one of "myself" after a google image search for the most disreputable-looking male hippie I could find.

I've tried this ploy several times, and so far they never write me back. I guess they figure hippies don't have bank accounts.

-----------------

I've posted this one before, but it does deal with the telemarketers.

Before I got onto the National Do Not Call list they were ringing me up all the time.

Marketer: in a hearty voice) May I speak to Mrs. Smith?

Me: in a very deadpan voice) She's in jail.

Marketer: shaken, but still game) Then...may I speak to Mr. Smith?

Me: still deadpan) That's WHY she's in jail.

Marketer: (CLICK!)

Feel free to try it out .
icon10.gif

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
If you think getting them to copy out Harry Potter is morally dubious, have a look at this one:

Abidjan-Accra-Lagos-Sokoto-NDjamena Idiot

They talked a couple of scammers into travelling across North Africa towards a war zone so they could join a non-existent mission. It's masterful, hilarious and deeply, deeply reprehensible.

(Abeche, by the way, is in a rebel-held area of Chad. T_W_A_T is a church name invented to make the scammers look ridicuous.)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It makes you sick.

I just got off the phone with a lady in Phoenix who has an Alzheimer's patient in her care. His phone number turned up in that mail I got, and I wanted to warn him.

He's apparently on the e-mail list of the scammers and they keep contacting him. He gets on the computer and tries to give away the info they want.

The lady was his caregiver and pretty danged mad at those leeches, and I don't blame her.

She didn't know what do to about them, but I pointed her to the FBI page on internet scams and the 419 Eaters website.

I hope she can get some help. She has some blocks in place so he can't give out his bank account numbers, but the poor man is convinced these scums****ers want to make him rich. And she still has to deal with the phone calls. I could hear his cell going off in the background.

One keeps calling in from Vermont. You gotta know they just LOVE a helpless Alzheimer's victim. You can tell them no a hundred times, but they keep calling back, hoping to get lucky. Sadly, they do.

You think "how can a person believe their lies?" but many of their victims aren't firing on all thrusters.

I did make her laugh, though. A couple years back I had a scammer phoning a Mexican police station house. The code phrase the scammer had to speak in Spanish: "My sister has big red bazooms."

Apparently the scammer tried this several times---long distance from Nigeria.

He sent me one last e-mail when he twigged: "Go to hell idoit!" (I reproduce the spelling.)

That had me chucking for a week.

Another scammer got the FBI's Human Resources number from me. He kept whining that he was getting a recording. I told him to keep trying, that I was on the other end if he'd just make the right responses.

For all I know he's still calling DC.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seems I'm the odd one out in this Thread. Okay, I'll see the humor! :ROFL:

Better?

And, yes, I thought the poster was the email recipient.

Shoot me!

Dorks.

I was devistated by the fact that they wrote out Harry Pooter by hand and didn't get paid for it.

I was having a moment. Now I'm over it.

Someone hold me.