PDA

View Full Version : My decision to Self-Publish

Panda Dragon
07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Some of you may remember I put a post up asking if I should self-publish a book I've written and then sell it myself. Many of you advised me against that and said I should just look to get a publisher. The general impression I got was that publishing fiction yourself is hard and that not many will go for self-published novels.

After thinking about it for a long time, I have decided that I still am going to self-publish my novel in favour of looking for an agent. While I know that may sound weird to some of you that have successfully gained an agent and/or a publishing deal, I decided that in the end, I wasn't interest in gaining multi-book sales and making millions of pounds (or dollars) in book sales. I write because I love writing and I believe if you love something enough, you should go for it. This way, if it fails, then it's my fault and no one elses.

I'm just writing to say thanks to all that gave me the advice they did (most of which I took to heart) and hopefully you will wish me luck in my endevour. Don't feel like I'm going against your advice, I made this decision and decided that I need to do this, for myself if nothing else. I hope you will all understand.

So I'll be signing off for a while to get this underway. Thanks again and I'll let you guys know how I get on. Cheers all!:)

escritora
07-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Panda Dragon,

Congrats on your decision. Good luck!

veinglory
07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
So what is it about self-publishing that did attract you? You cover that reduced sales do not put you off, but what put you onto self-publishing as the superior option for you?

IceCreamEmpress
07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
This way, if it fails, then it's my fault and no one elses.

Well, if your goal is to get your books into print and sell a few dozen copies of each, then it's almost certain you won't "fail" at all (given determination, technical competence, and a reputable printing service). You certainly seem to have the "determination" part in place :)

Good luck with the self-publishing!

JamieFord
07-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Just don't go with a vanity press that will end up owning your copyright. It would suck for your self-publishing endeavor to end up a big hit, but out of your hands. I think you're making a mistake by self-publishing, but good luck anyway.

CaroGirl
07-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I believe that, for some people, self-publishing is the perfect fit. I hope that's the case for you. Good luck!

Sargentodiaz
07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Amen!!! You might check out lu;u.com it's not easy but if someone as dumb about computers as I can do it, anyone can.

Topaz044
07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Congratulations! Self-publishing is a tricky business. On one hand, I know someone who self-published their book and it became a Canadian bestseller. On the other hand, I know two other people who self-published. One broke even and the other ended up horribly in debt.

Like I said, tricky business.

Kalyke
07-03-2008, 02:50 AM
I really do not think that the majority of writers make millions of dollars/or pounds on a first novel. Perhaps 5 thousand. Millions is a really big number.

This is really the little fish in a big pond/ big fish in a little pond quandary.

On the other hand, JK Rowling could have self published and sold 5 or 20 copies too.

Competition is fierce. I read something, I do not know who by who said to get through the "slush pile" you basically had to spell correctly, follow some reasonable manuscript criteria (not hard to do), and have a decent story. The better the story, the farther you go. It really does not sound like the horror everyone makes it out to be. It seems to me then that for a quality writer, competition really is not very stiff. If your stuff is not weak, mundane, or stereotypical, then it is a possible choice for publication, or at least a good look. Maybe not, maybe I have oversimplified things. Who knows.

Soccer Mom
07-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Panda, only you know if this is the right decision for you. Best wishes in your endeavor and don't forget that Absolute Write does have a self-publishing subforum. There are people there who have been where you are and can help you in making the right choices for the coming months.

best wishes in your endeavor.