PDA

View Full Version : A little socializing goes a long, long way !!

Upbeat
07-02-2008, 07:34 AM
While I enjoy the give and take of face to face talk, teasing and silly taunting with friends - there's a saturation point when I'm ready for solitary quiet time.
Why is it that some folks can't seem to stand a day without socializing? (to each his own, of course)

Matera the Mad
07-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Beats me, she muttered to herself solitarily.

brianm
07-02-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm a very social person, but I love my down time. It's one of the reasons I go home every summer. I don't have cable or Internet hooked up at the cottage and I spend most of my time writing, reading, and staring out at Strangford Lough and the Irish Sea. My family complains that I'm a bit of a hermit when I come home, but it recharges my batteries. And at my age, they need all the recharging they can get.

Okay, I do pop around to the pub on a regular basis, but that's only for medicinal purposes. ;)

elissa
07-02-2008, 08:49 AM
They say introverts recharge by being alone (that's me!) and extroverts recharge by surrounding themselves with people. Do you feel energized by being social, or just a little worn-out? Doesn't mean introverts don't enjoy people, or that extroverts can't enjoy being all by themselves.

Still, I don't really "get" those extroverts, man. Makes me tired just thinking about all that people time.

JennaGlatzer
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Agoraphobia provided me with all the solitary time I need in this life... now I crave socialization, but generally just with one or two people at a time (plus Sarina, of course). Party atmospheres definitely wear me down.

Chameleon
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm an introvert. It's just who I am. As a kid, my dad used to get annoyed when I'd read a book while the rest of the family were watching T.V. It's not that I don't enjoy social occasions, I'd just prefer more of an intimate crowd rather than being surrounded by a bunch of noise. Occasionally, though, I want to go out and enjoy myself.

poetinahat
07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
To each his own. People are different; why do we feel the need to analyse people who are different from us?

Fraulein
07-02-2008, 09:57 AM
To each his own. People are different; why do we feel the need to analyse people who are different from us?Overly sociable people can be very disruptive.

For example, a former pharmacy intern (she's now a pharmacist elsewhere) came to catch up with the pharmacist where I work. Instead of standing between the pharmacist and the counter to talk (she talked loudly and with open body language), she stands between the pharmacist and I. So... their conversation was very disruptive, because I couldn't hear what the customer was trying to say even though the customer was only three feet away. The only thing that I could hear was their loud conversation that I was desperately trying to tune-out. To make matters worse, the customer had a complicated problem. By the time it was over, I was really angry, because it had been so difficult to communicate with the customer (at the end of an exhausting shift), due to the loud, chit-chatty noise going on right next to me. :rant:

Fraulein
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
The people who talk on their cellphones while walking on a treadmill or doing leg presses at the gym make me mad, too.

Sometimes they'll talk even louder to get my attention, because I intentionally ignore them, but it doesn't work. Instead, I'll just keep watching whatever is on tv while walking or running, or I'll stare out the window.

Kitrianna
07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Solitude is nice...preferably several times a week. I get as much or as little as I want of it, which suits me just fine.

poetinahat
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Overly sociable people can be very disruptive.
So can overly judgmental people. (Not you, of course - I, too, get impatient with cellphone talkers et al. - but just sayin'.)

ErylRavenwell
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
To be a writer you must be a bit introverted, I think, but also a good observer of people without necessarily being too gregarious. Personally, I just surround myself with a small, close-knit group of people. It's very hard for me to take to complete strangers and progress beyond the usual acquaintanceship.