A little socializing goes a long, long way !!

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
While I enjoy the give and take of face to face talk, teasing and silly taunting with friends - there's a saturation point when I'm ready for solitary quiet time.
Why is it that some folks can't seem to stand a day without socializing? (to each his own, of course)

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I'm a very social person, but I love my down time. It's one of the reasons I go home every summer. I don't have cable or Internet hooked up at the cottage and I spend most of my time writing, reading, and staring out at Strangford Lough and the Irish Sea. My family complains that I'm a bit of a hermit when I come home, but it recharges my batteries. And at my age, they need all the recharging they can get.

Okay, I do pop around to the pub on a regular basis, but that's only for medicinal purposes. ;)

elissa

holding my breath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lissnkids.blogspot.com
They say introverts recharge by being alone (that's me!) and extroverts recharge by surrounding themselves with people. Do you feel energized by being social, or just a little worn-out? Doesn't mean introverts don't enjoy people, or that extroverts can't enjoy being all by themselves.

Still, I don't really "get" those extroverts, man. Makes me tired just thinking about all that people time.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Agoraphobia provided me with all the solitary time I need in this life... now I crave socialization, but generally just with one or two people at a time (plus Sarina, of course). Party atmospheres definitely wear me down.

Chameleon

I less than 3 you!
Registered
Reaction score
if i tell you, will you promise to stalk me?
I'm an introvert. It's just who I am. As a kid, my dad used to get annoyed when I'd read a book while the rest of the family were watching T.V. It's not that I don't enjoy social occasions, I'd just prefer more of an intimate crowd rather than being surrounded by a bunch of noise. Occasionally, though, I want to go out and enjoy myself.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To each his own. People are different; why do we feel the need to analyse people who are different from us?

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
To each his own. People are different; why do we feel the need to analyse people who are different from us?
Overly sociable people can be very disruptive.

For example, a former pharmacy intern (she's now a pharmacist elsewhere) came to catch up with the pharmacist where I work. Instead of standing between the pharmacist and the counter to talk (she talked loudly and with open body language), she stands between the pharmacist and I. So... their conversation was very disruptive, because I couldn't hear what the customer was trying to say even though the customer was only three feet away. The only thing that I could hear was their loud conversation that I was desperately trying to tune-out. To make matters worse, the customer had a complicated problem. By the time it was over, I was really angry, because it had been so difficult to communicate with the customer (at the end of an exhausting shift), due to the loud, chit-chatty noise going on right next to me. :rant:

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
The people who talk on their cellphones while walking on a treadmill or doing leg presses at the gym make me mad, too.

Sometimes they'll talk even louder to get my attention, because I intentionally ignore them, but it doesn't work. Instead, I'll just keep watching whatever is on tv while walking or running, or I'll stare out the window.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Overly sociable people can be very disruptive.
So can overly judgmental people. (Not you, of course - I, too, get impatient with cellphone talkers et al. - but just sayin'.)

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
To be a writer you must be a bit introverted, I think, but also a good observer of people without necessarily being too gregarious. Personally, I just surround myself with a small, close-knit group of people. It's very hard for me to take to complete strangers and progress beyond the usual acquaintanceship.

Last edited: