Memoir contest for this memoir art group

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
There's a memoir story contest by a non-profit organization in Philadelphia called First Person Arts. They are looking for entries of 1,500 words or less.

The judges seem reasonably prestigious, the organization is well established, and first prize is $500.

They call the entry an "essay" but I spoke with them today and apparently they are really looking for stories.

Here's the link: http://impressions.firstpersonarts.org/

Jerry

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Jerry!

I might try this; I have a few things that might be suitable.

Hope others might give it a try. And perhaps we'll see one or two names from here in the winner's circle!

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, many writing contests do charge a small fee. This only ten bucks, and that's not bad, really.

Contests seem scammy when they charge a great deal of money for the contest and when the prizes are not so great. Including the "privilege" of being read by judges not in the business who have no influence over whether your work is really any good, let alone publishable.

I think the Sokol Award was one contest in particular that was slammed by Miss Snark way back--there was something about how the contract was written that the entrants or at the least, the winner--had to sign.

However, I've never actually subbed any stuff to a contest. I'd be interested in knowing how it has worked out for other folks. Any genre, not just Life Story Writing.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
I'll go look it up. Contests often charge fees. Some people only enter those which don't. It's a personal choice. For me, I've paid far more than $10. This is truly a great price. And winning a respected contest, is great for the cover letters, queries, and letters of interest! ~Karen

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Publications?

Hi Jerry- Do you know anything about the publications? The winning essay is published in three publications that are listed on the site. I haven't heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything. Have you heard of them? Thanks. ~Karen