PDA

View Full Version : Please teach me patience (right now!)

Bubastes
07-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I've been working seriously on my writing for 7 years (not counting the million words of crap I wrote since I was a kid) and on my music for 2 years. The problem is that I look at my woeful lack of progress and feel like I should be better than I am by now! I look at every mistake I make and all my stupid-ass insecurities and keep thinking that I should be past all that. I've already had one music teacher tell me that I'm way too hard on myself -- maybe the self-flogging is just a bad habit. I feel like I haven't written enough, practiced enough, published enough, performed enough. It never seems to be enough. Occasionally, I even have to talk myself out of doing something really idiotic, like quitting writing or music altogether out of frustration.

Any tips on how to be more patient (and maybe go a little easier on myself)? Thanks!

James81
07-01-2008, 04:36 PM
You know what? Nobody loves perfect writing.

Nobody loves perfect people.

It's our flaws that define us, make us human, make us more interesting...

Instead of trying to be perfect, or be so hard on yourself, embrace your imperfections.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't work on being a better writer and learning and all that. It just means that you need to feel that it's ok to be IMPERFECT.

Tink
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
I second what James said...embrace yourself and your imperfections instead of beating yourself up. Try to look at the positive instead of the negative here. Look at the things you have accomplished instead of what you haven't done (yet). Look at where you are at now instead of where you could be...try to find the good and then give yourself a pat on the back. I bet you deserve a self-pat and you need to realize that you do...so go ahead and reach around and pat yourself on the back. If you can't then I will... *patting MeowGirl on the back* :)

smoothseas
07-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I learned patience from my cat.