PDA

View Full Version : Is the Pentagon refered to as being in Washington?

hammerklavier
07-01-2008, 05:13 AM
Technically it's in Virginia, right? Do workers there keep that distinction or do they say "I'm going to Washington." or "Going to DC."?

IceCreamEmpress
07-01-2008, 06:15 AM
It's in Arlington, Virginia, which is part of the greater Washington area.

So if someone were going to a meeting at the Pentagon, they'd say either "I'm going to the Pentagon" or "I'm going to Arlington".

StephanieFox
07-01-2008, 09:11 AM
If they are from outside the D.C. area, they might refer to it as 'going to Washington' or 'going to D.C.'

If you are in the area, it's just The Pentagon. May it remain levitated.

FinbarReilly
07-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Depends. For most people, "going to Washington" means one of the specific governmental bodies within Washington, DC, usually Congress. Even military people would refer to it that way; if they were going to the Pentagon, it would be "going to the Pentagon".

BTW: "Going to Arlington" usually refers to visiting the cemetery in Arlington, as that's usually the case, for what it's worth...

FR

Kalyke
07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I went to the Pentagon on a detail to collect some maps (in the basement) when I was stationed in Virginia. We said "I'm going to the Pentagon."

Sarpedon
07-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Its got its own subway station and zip code and everything.

IceCreamEmpress
07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
If they are from outside the D.C. area, they might refer to it as 'going to Washington' or 'going to D.C.'

At my husband's workplace (here in Massachusetts) when they have a meeting at the Pentagon, they say, "I'll be at the Pentagon next Tuesday"; when they have a meeting with Other Government Client (the way it's listed on the timesheets) they say "I'll be in Langley next Tuesday."

In neither case do they say "I'll be in DC" or "I'll be in Washington."

If I told you any more, I'd have to...actually, I don't know any more, so you're all safe.

Moerae
07-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Yeah, one has to remember that there is, in fact, a state in America called Washington. Not D.C. Just Washington. Yeah, we're in the upper right hand corner with all the rain. :-D

hammerklavier
07-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Upper left hand corner. And that doesn't change the fact that people usually talk about the city they're flying to, not the state. :)

Kalyke
07-05-2008, 01:27 AM
I think "inside the beltway" was "DC" to a lot of people.

Paichka
07-05-2008, 05:31 PM
We typically say just, "The Pentagon".

People in DC tend to be wildly specific about where they're going or where they work. Rather than just say, "I'm going into DC" or "I work in Washington", they'll typically give the name of the building or area where they work.

"I work in Crystal City."
"I work at the Pentagon."
"I work at Langley. Why are you asking?"
"I work on Capitol Hill."
"I work at Quantico." (Could be FBI. Possibly Marines.)
"I work on the Mall." (Or "At the Smithsonian." Even though there's a billion of them.)

Slightly off topic, Northern Virginia people are really bizarre. We never say that we're from Virginia. It's either, "I'm from Northern Virginia" or "Near DC." We're a little island of blue in an ocean of red. :)

HeronW
07-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Folks just say 'I'm going to the Pentagon'. DC pretty much annexed Arlington, whether we liked it or not. I lived there 4 years and you take this exit off 395 that curls around the Pentagon and skirts a parking lot there. From the highway you could see the mess the 9/11 plane crash did. They covered that side of the building with a huge flag while they were working on it.

LIVIN
07-05-2008, 09:39 PM
"I'm going to work" "the main building" "headquarters"

Langley is typically reserved for the CIA

Linda Adams
07-05-2008, 10:31 PM
DC pretty much annexed Arlington, whether we liked it or not.

Since when? I've lived here for more than ten years, and that's news to me. I do remember some news stories a few years back where DC was making noises about trying to annex Arlington, but it never got much traction.

Moerae
07-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Upper left hand corner. And that doesn't change the fact that people usually talk about the city they're flying to, not the state. :)

Well, that's horribly embarassing since I kind of live there. :-D

firehorse
07-06-2008, 02:27 AM
"I work at Langley. Why are you asking?" ROFL.

Paichka's language is what I'd use. The city name, not the building.

I temped in the Pentagon a long, long time ago (those who know me can have a good laugh at that). I remember some of it - maybe between the offices and the Metro - as being like an underground mall, with shops and newsstands. That has nothing to do with anything, just remembering... ;)

BlueLucario
07-06-2008, 02:40 AM
I thought D.C was in Maryland. :(

hammerklavier
07-06-2008, 11:39 PM
I think all the residential areas of DC (except the White House) should be given back to/annexed by Maryland, that would shut up all those DC residents who complain about no representation.

(whoops, I'm getting off my own topic)

blacbird
07-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Yeah, one has to remember that there is, in fact, a state in America called Washington. Not D.C. Just Washington. Yeah, we're in the upper right hand corner with all the rain. :-D

Upper right hand corner is Maine.

Upper left hand corner, the real upper left hand corner, is Alaska.

caw