Routines & Rituals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizwriter

Routines & Rituals

I reviewed a book called writing in flow by Susan Perry, PHD and in it she discusses what puts writers into 'the flow' of creativity.

Some have rituals they always use to get themselves in the writing mode. I read over the work I did the last time I wrote on a topic.

There is also something very 'flow-like' to me about using my writing pen even when I am working on the computer I like to have it nearby to jot notes etc.

I also use different colored highlighers to edit my copy in print..I like certain kinds of music for different topics and the list goes on.

What about you?

tschurter

Re: Routines & Rituals

I just write...

with a cup o' java or a Mountain Dew at my RIGHT hand (not the LEFT - that would be horrid!)

jazziz1

My ritual includes coffee throughout the entire morning and frequent breaks throughout the day. Seems I can't sit still for extended periods of time. Think it's got anything to do with all that caffeine?!

Now that the weather's looking up, I'm getting into the habit of taking a short walk after lunch. It helps beat the post-dining sleepies and preps me for the rest of the afternoon. I can chew on ideas during this time, too. When I'm back at my desk, I'm ready to tackle the rest of my workday.

Bizwriter

Walks

I love this idea, I hate walking but should do more of it if only to get a bit fit. :)

I just read somewhere that if you walk 9000 steps a day that you will stay in terrific shape, I think that is about 4 miles but I don't think I am quite up to that right now.

I think I will start doing that every day though, thanks for the tip, I can think while I walk. (I think)

Brother Kevin

When I'm doing work that requires concentration, I like instrumental music. I also have a few CD's of the Benedictine Monks; the "Chant" albums.

I like these because they provide a soothing background, and mask a lot of exterior noise without creating a distraction.

rtilryarms

When my boss, (oh sorry boss..I mean God...) yells at me that he wants something now!!!!!, that seems to be a reletivley good motivator for me....

Brother Kevin

I just read somewhere that if you walk 9000 steps a day that you will stay in terrific shape, I think that is about 4 miles but....

Yeah, right. My nana started walking 1 mile a day a couple of years ago, and now we don't know WHERE she is!

Doh!!!!
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.