Firefly

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, I guess I've lost my Joss Whedon virginity. We don't watch very much television and, although I've heard much about him, I've never seen anything by the man.

My husband was given the 'Firefly' series as a gift a while back and we sort of forgot it was on the shelf. We were trying to watch our Netflix copy of the Simpson's movie and there was some sort of formatting issue and we had to return it. And there was nothing to watch, so...

Anyway, two nights later we're five episodes in and it's very good. I heard there was much flap over the cancellation of the show, and if the rest of the series plays out as good as the intro, I guess I can see why.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Just so you know...the movie was called Serenity.

Then that's it. Fox holds the license and they do release it from time to time (books, comics, rpg etc) but only in bits.

It's a prime example of why fox is stupid.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Yay, Perks! Welcome to the Browncoats! :D

The great thing about watching it on DVD is you get the see the episodes in the order they were meant to be aired. FOX, in their infinite stupidity, aired them strangely, and then didn't even air the final three (which were among the very best, IMHO).

Can't wait to hear what you think when you're done. :D

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
So, I guess I've lost my Joss Whedon virginity. We don't watch very much television and, although I've heard much about him, I've never seen anything by the man.

My husband was given the 'Firefly' series as a gift a while back and we sort of forgot it was on the shelf. We were trying to watch our Netflix copy of the Simpson's movie and there was some sort of formatting issue and we had to return it. And there was nothing to watch, so...

Anyway, two nights later we're five episodes in and it's very good. I heard there was much flap over the cancellation of the show, and if the rest of the series plays out as good as the intro, I guess I can see why.

And the movie is absolutely brilliant... one of the best SF films in years.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Joss Whedon is my writing idol.

If I ever do get into to the filmmaking industry, he will definitely be a role model. His atypical characters and storylines are borderline genuis.

Check out his Buffy and Angel series.

But yes, Firefly was incredible. I can't believe they let it go. Criminal!!!!

Damn you FOX, DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!! :(

mel...

ALG71

Defanged Hellraiser
Registered
Reaction score
In a place, at a time, where I sometimes ask mysel
And the movie is absolutely brilliant... one of the best SF films in years.

I agree (with the exception of Star Wars--but I grew up with Star Wars so I'm biased). And, I'd say, other than the Millenium Falcon, Serenity really is a beautiful ship.

Whedon really is an incredible writer, IMHO. The way the scenes in the first 15 minutes flow together (I won't spoil it for you Perks or anyone else with what happens) is one of the best opening minutes I've ever seen. Even if you've never watched the show, the first 15 minutes are so informative to everyone's backgrounds and what the show was about.

And once you've watched the movie, watch it again with Joss narrating. As someone who doesn't even have a short story accepted yet but who is interested in screenwriting too, it was very informative. (At least for me.)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Check out his Buffy and Angel series.

And if you do, make sure to check in here after season 3 of Buffy and we'll let you know which Buffy/Angel episodes you get to watch back-to-back. :)

Bagoth

Registered
Reaction score
And if you do, make sure to check in here after season 3 of Buffy and we'll let you know which Buffy/Angel episodes you get to watch back-to-back. :)

Especially Angel, which I consider to be the superior product but you decide. But after you finish each show, make sure to catch up on the canon comics produced by Dark Horse and IDW.

Robert Farley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
Firefly probably didn't get picked up because it didn't have the ratings in 2001 (was that the year?). Whatever the year, it was before its time. People weren't ready to watch, and they didn't. That's why the show stands up well even now, almost a decade later.

Robert<><>

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I love Firefly. My family and I would get together every Monday night and watch Firefly while eating dinner. It caused a whole lot of spraying food on the floor as we laughed and, in the case of Bushwhacked, me and my mom hiding behind Dad, who was hiding behind the sofa.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
No, I didn't know about that.

There is a light at the end of my tunnel, after all. Joss Whedon rides again!

P.S. Don't kill me... I liked Firefly, but to me, it was NOTHING compared to Buffy/Angel. Like, subnothing. Buffy and Angel will always be my true soulmate serieses.

(Yes, I know the plural of series is series, but it reads weird.)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, the movie is good too, huh? I look forward to it. It's funny that ALG71 brought up Star Wars, because I'm admiring the comfortable way the Firefly characters move around in their world in much the same way. The old Star Wars did that brilliantly and spoiled me for much subsequent sci-fi-of-perpetually-shiny-surfaces.

I didn't know it was a club. I feel -- included. And it's strange.

I've heard so many good things about Buffy and Angel, that I think have to watch it even though it's hard to imagine a long-running vampire thingy. But all you people can't be wrong -- right?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
You guys already know about Dr Horrible, right?

The official website drhorrible.com

Thanks for the reminder, Mac! I haven't checked in on this in awhile. :)

And Jenna, I love Buffy/Angel more than Firefly, but Firefly is still good. Had it had a few more years, I think it really could have hit its stride ... much like Buffy did in season 2. Seriously, Perks, if you don't get Buffy within the first couple of episodes ... please trust me and wait get to the halfway season 2 mark. That's when it just gets brilliant. :) And hulu.com has the first two seasons up for free.

Serenity, though--I thought that was a great film! Probably better than the overall series, but then again, it may have not been as good if I didn't already like the characters.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, the movie is good too, huh? I look forward to it. It's funny that ALG71 brought up Star Wars, because I'm admiring the comfortable way the Firefly characters move around in their world in much the same way. The old Star Wars did that brilliantly and spoiled me for much subsequent sci-fi-of-perpetually-shiny-surfaces.

I didn't know it was a club. I feel -- included. And it's strange.

I've heard so many good things about Buffy and Angel, that I think have to watch it even though it's hard to imagine a long-running vampire thingy. But all you people can't be wrong -- right?

No, we really can't be. Awesome shows. I liked Angel a little better, but only by a slim margin.

Smile Time, anyone? :roll:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Smile Time was great.

I think I'm one of the few who still preferred Buffy. Granted, I was in the younger demographic at the time they aired, so Buffy is seemingly a better fit.

Angel lost me around season four. I took personal offense and some big dislike to some of the plot lines in seasons 3 and 4. It's not until about a year ago I finished watching it. (Sacrilege, tell me about it.) Wesley, though, remains the character with the most growth I've ever seen on television.

Anyway ... Firefly? My favorite episode was the last. I can't remember the title now, but the one with the bounty hunter. What a great character.

Last edited:

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Um, can I say here that in researching agents, I found one that mentioned he was a huge Nathan Fillion fan...and a huge Firefly fan.

I was gonna submit to him anyway, and had done the requisite scouring of websites, background checks, blog reading, researching of submission guidelines and etc....but I was completely reassured when I read that. Isn't that sad? Maybe it's a sign of similar tastes? I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I felt pretty happy in submitting to someone who might get my sense of humor. (I hope, I hope, I hope!)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
....but I was completely reassured when I read that.

I'm reassured about a lot of things in life when I find other people are Whedon fans. :) It's weird, but there are so few people in RL that I find actually get the series--either that or they just don't talk about it publicly. ;)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've heard so much about Joss Whedon, but he must be a very naturally gifted story teller to have advanced that many long narratives that people love so much.

Very cool.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Is this because of the way the Cordelia storyline went?

Smile Time was great.

I think I'm one of the few who still preferred Buffy. Granted, I was in the younger demographic at the time they aired, so Buffy is seemingly a better fit.

Angel lost me around season four. I took personal offense and some big dislike to some of the plot lines in seasons 3 and 4. It's not until about a year ago I finished watching it. (Sacrilege, tell me about it.) Wesley, though, remains the character with the most growth I've ever seen on television.

Anyway ... Firefly? My favorite episode was the last. I can't remember the title now, but the one with the bounty hunter. What a great character.