poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
mis·un·der·stand·ing n.

1. A failure to understand or interpret correctly.
  2. A disagreement or quarrel.
misunderstanding

n 1: putting the wrong interpretation on; "his misinterpretation of the question caused his error"; "there was no mistaking her meaning" 2: an understanding of something that is not correct; "he wasn't going to admit his mistake"; "make no mistake about his intentions"; "there must be some misunderstanding--I don't have a sister"

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Yeah, that's about it, crazy. You're crazy.

But then, I'm pretty lost as to how far to take this idear. Like, how far would be stretchin' it too far, y'know?

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
William,

Even your kind and considerate post with the definition to misunderstanding is not helping me think of what to write. :(
I had one paragraph; it's in the garbage with about 20 sheets of worthless scribbles.
Now, if the theme was emotional disorder, I'd have a book written by now. :roll:
Joanne

Rhush

Slave to the metal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I get ya, Joanne! What's funny about that, is my story so far could pretty much be catagorized as the lead charater having an emotional disorder, or her mom having the misunderstanding. Depending on how you look at it. Weird.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
perhaps someone should seize upon the plot of a writer who misunderstands the theme of misunderstanding in an online writing contest, then writes a story that is intended to be about misunderstanding, but is misunderstood by the readers, who vote for said writer's competitors, before ultimately realizing they read the entry clouded by misunderstanding, and then they try to change their votes through a misunderstanding of the rules, end up allegedly threatening the mods, get arrested and then claim it was just a big misunderstanding.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
So basically you're saying that you concede because you're worried you might get arrested.

Am I right in my assumption?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i think you're misunderstanding.

besides, i never surrender. i'm stubborn to the point of psychosis.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
besides, i never surrender. i'm stubborn to the point of psychosis.

Ahhhhhh..... A true writer indeed.....

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
From about 8:30 this evening until 15 minutes ago, I worked on my Idol piece. I'm finished. It's tucked away under the same magazine I'd hid last week's entry. I won't look at it again for a few days, then I'll edit.

WOO HOO. :snoopy: I'm on to something new to write. :partyguy:

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
William Haskins said:
perhaps someone should seize upon the plot of a writer who misunderstands the theme of misunderstanding in an online writing contest, then writes a story that is intended to be about misunderstanding, but is misunderstood by the readers, who vote for said writer's competitors, before ultimately realizing they read the entry clouded by misunderstanding, and then they try to change their votes through a misunderstanding of the rules, end up allegedly threatening the mods, get arrested and then claim it was just a big misunderstanding.

that needs beer to go with it.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Wait a minute. So you're saying that they need to put beer into their stories or you won't vote for them????

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
that too. but beer and reading, writing, and deeply searching the meaning of misunderstanding the theories of misunderstanding. beer will help.

but, seriously without or without the beer the finalist need to get me some good reads. i'm bored and my lecture isn't writing itself--i.e. help me procrastinate.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Two friends have now suggested I write something completely irrelevant and end my piece with "I misinterpreted the assignment." I may not make it to the final three, but I'm not leaving that easily ;)

Is anyone else having trouble distinguishing between deceit and misinterpretation? Maybe it's just the situation I've chosen, but it seems like most misinterpretations involve deceit on one part, if not both.

And William, for some reason I didn't see this thread until today. I am absolutely neurotic (but gee, you never would've guessed that, would you? :roll: )

skc

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think a misunderstanding is just that. The person did not understand something right. It doesn't necessarily have to do with deceit.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Which part?

---
Never mind. It was my own lack of clarity in my story that had me questioning the line between the two.

Carry on. :)

Last edited:

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
firehorse said:
Is anyone else having trouble distinguishing between deceit and misinterpretation?
skc

Nope.
I agree with Kate. A misundertanding is just that.

Deceit is when a person misleads another or is fraudulent about something. To me deceit is comparable to a lie.

Misunderstaning/deceit--like comparing apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I understood the part about the beer. And the part about Firehorse not copping out. Beyond that...I need a beer.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Not yet. Saving that for vote counting neurotica again!