PDA

View Full Version : I know my market but...

michelle25
06-30-2008, 03:10 PM
My book is womenís fiction, but I think a subset of that audience I want to reach is crime victims. How might I reach this potential audience if Iím still trying to get published? Iím thinking it might help my chances of getting published if I have connections with my target market, but if I were already published, that would help my chances of making connections with the audience. Itís like the analogy of which comes first - the chicken or the egg? Any suggestions of what I should do? Thanks!

chevbrock
06-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that reaching your "market" is the job of your publisher. Don't sweat it, just write! :)

Mumut
06-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Exactly. Just write the story you want to tell and you'll be surprised what your audience will be. I wrote for YA but I have a strong reading group in the 30 - 40 year old women agegroup (up to a 73yo!). But I didn't change the story for the group I imagined would read it. I didn't dumb down the language to words shorter than marmelade for younger people. I just wrote my story.

Phaeal
06-30-2008, 05:38 PM
If your work will appeal to a specific audience, which you can't necessarily predict, that audience will find you, with or without editorial/promotional help.

michelle25
07-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Sorry, I thought agents and publishers like it when authors take an active role in promoting themselves. I know I've heard this or read it somewhere.

xiaotien
07-01-2008, 01:32 AM
michelle, some agents want to know what your
book is similar to or where you'd be on the shelves.
but ultimately, a well written story is what
they're looking for!

as for self promotion, it's hard when you don't
have a book out. i'd suggest finding online communities
of people who enjoy reading what you wrote or
want to write. good luck!

IceCreamEmpress
07-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Sorry, I thought agents and publishers like it when authors take an active role in promoting themselves. I know I've heard this or read it somewhere.

They do, but you can't promote a book that hasn't been published yet. If you are active in the "victims of crime" community, especially if you have other writing published in media aimed at that community (websites, magazines, etc.), then it might be worth mentioning that "platform" in your query if it's relevant to the book.

maestrowork
07-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Women's fiction has a wider market, so focus on the genre. If you want to specifically target a niche market during promotion, talk to the publisher. You can give talks to crime victim groups or support centers or something.

Mumut
07-01-2008, 06:13 AM

Once the book is published the author is often expected to get out and sign books, talk on the radio and television (for those lucky enough!) and contact groups of potential readers. My publisher arranged some of these for me to start me off. But to contact people before the event would be losing the opportunity. If you convince people your book is worth reading before it is available is a waste of time as far as I can see.