PDA

View Full Version : medical question

qwerty
06-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Can anyone please help?

I've got a young woman with concussion. She has a hairline skull fracture and is unconscious for three days. How long would she need to stay in hospital after coming round?

Thanks,
qwerty

Faolmor
06-30-2008, 02:44 PM
There's no hard and fast answer really. It would be dependent on the results of tests (CT for starters), amount of swelling, neurological indicators, general well-being etc.

If you wanted a ball-park...hmm...minimum of 3 days?

qwerty
06-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Faolmor. I was guessing at four days, so you've helped me not to slow the plot. BTW, this patient is in Kuala Lumpur, being treated by an Australian doctor.

Cheers,
qwerty

Faolmor
06-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Ah, well then they're in good hands

*grin*

sheadakota
06-30-2008, 03:36 PM
If she is unconcious for three days - they are not going to send her home the day she wakes up or even the next day- If a trama patient comes in unconscious a nd the cat scan reveals a skull fracture, she is going to be intbated (breathing tube placed)_ to protect her airway- she will be in intensive care for that time- when she wakes up- she most likely will not have all her faculties- she will be groggy, probably poor short term memory and coordination- and this would be just if she woke up after only 3 days- people rarely wake up and are their normal selves after a head injury- it takes time ,a lot of time and patience for them to come around-

As for how long she would be in the hospital- if the head injury is her only injury AND she wakes up with minimal residal nuerolgical problems afterwards- then I would say one week minimum- sorry to put a fly in ointment:tongue- (I work in intensive care)

cletus
06-30-2008, 03:42 PM
This is fiction. As soon as she wakes up she discharges herself and seeks out the bastards who put her in the hospital in the first place.

qwerty
06-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks, sheadakota, I need all the help I can get on this one. Faolmor gave me minimum three days, you give me around seven. I can work round that based on what you've both told me. My appreciation is there towards anyone answering my question.

If I may prevail further, given that I'm being helped by people with medical knowledge, would I be correct in saying an unconscious person is comatose?

Bufty, please replace your post. I didn't see it, and nothing is surplus to a writer seeking help.

Bufty
06-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I only suggested you may get further responses by posting in the Story Research Forum in the Conference Room Section. Good luck.

sheadakota
06-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks, sheadakota, I need all the help I can get on this one. Faolmor gave me minimum three days, you give me around seven. I can work round that based on what you've both told me. My appreciation is there towards anyone answering my question.

If I may prevail further, given that I'm being helped by people with medical knowledge, would I be correct in saying an unconscious person is comatose?

Bufty, please replace your post. I didn't see it, and nothing is surplus to a writer seeking help.
Only in the very broad definition of the word- Since this is a work of fiction you could say she was in a coma- We generally use that for a long term state of unconsciousness- weeks or months-

Mumut
06-30-2008, 05:04 PM
I was in for a couple of weeks but I was never told how long I was out for. I had to have a blod clot removed from the brain.

qwerty
06-30-2008, 05:25 PM
This is fiction. As soon as she wakes up she discharges herself and seeks out the bastards who put her in the hospital in the first place.

I take - and love - your point, cletus. If this novel wasn't based on an actual event, I'd say, who would query the facts anyway? Making a rod for my own back here.

Raphee
07-01-2008, 12:29 PM
A hairline fracture, 3 days unconcious. With CT all good, no brain clots , swelling of brain etc, a doctor might still want to retain her for observation for another couple of days minimum. One week is a good suggestion.
If CT scan shows any abnormality linked to trauma, think longer. Depends how you want to play it.

qwerty
07-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Many thanks, Raphee. Seven days, given no complications, works okay into the plot timescale, and is consistent with what others have said.

My thanks to all who took the trouble to reply to my call for help. Sorry I was on the wrong thread, but that's something else I learned to my advantage.

Great pool of info on AW.

qwerty

allenparker
07-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Since there is much discussion on this....

I just had a female customer leave that was really a pain in the lower cavity.

Perhaps I should just bash her a good one on the noggin and we'll time her progress....

Now the only question I have is baseball bat or crowbar?

just a suggestion....

qwerty
07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Commiserations on your pain in the whatsit customer. Let me know the progress/recovery rate if you choose crowbar.

If it's any help, my concussed lady had an argument with a tree.

Shweta
07-02-2008, 03:59 AM
I'm moving this to story research, where you might get other useful responses.

Troo
07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Since there is much discussion on this....

I just had a female customer leave that was really a pain in the lower cavity.

Perhaps I should just bash her a good one on the noggin and we'll time her progress....

Now the only question I have is baseball bat or crowbar?

just a suggestion....

In the interests of science I suggest a crowbar. Then once she's better, a baseball bat for comparison :D