PDA

View Full Version : Videotaping Babies and Toddlers

willwrite4food
06-30-2008, 05:54 AM
I'm looking for some good tips on videotaping babies and toddlers. What are the best times and places to film them, in your experience? What are your favorite ways to share video with friends and family -- e-mail or uploading them to popular sites? Do you have any privacy concerns uploading them to certain sites? This is for iParenting.com. You can either reply here or PM me if you have any tips to share. Thanks!

Mandy-Jane
06-30-2008, 06:58 AM
The best times are when you're not expecting it. That's when they do the cutest things. You need to have a camera ready to go, constantly. And don't limit it to special occasions. The best things on a family video are just when they're sitting around the house, eating lunch or playing with a toy. They're the ones that you look back on in years to come and say "I remember that day." They're the ones that really make you smile and remember.

As far as sharing them with people, we've always just copied them onto a video or DVD and handed them out.

I've uploaded photos to Facebook, but that's about it.

Gynn
06-30-2008, 07:43 AM
The best times are when you're not expecting it. That's when they do the cutest things. You need to have a camera ready to go, constantly. And don't limit it to special occasions. The best things on a family video are just when they're sitting around the house, eating lunch or playing with a toy. They're the ones that you look back on in years to come and say "I remember that day." They're the ones that really make you smile and remember.

As far as sharing them with people, we've always just copied them onto a video or DVD and handed them out.

I've uploaded photos to Facebook, but that's about it.

I agree. When I have kids of my own, I'm going to turn into George Lucas and follow them around with a camera!

Speaking of cute, you might have seen these little ones on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8sSM

Shwebb
07-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Also--babies and toddlers film much better when you get down to their level. Hard on the knees whether you walk on them or waddle around like a duck after them, but it's worth it to get the best angle. It shows the viewers what the world looks like from their viewpoint, too.

hammerklavier
07-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Ours rushes the camera as soon as he sees it, so it helps to have your spouse occupy them and encourage them to do whatever you wanted to video, or keep it handy and try to catch them as they play quietly.

elissa
07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Morning works best for most kids. Evening only if you want to videotape tantrums! :)

Get them into some natural light, and don't trust the auto white-balance on your camera. Learn to do it manually, and your videos will look much nicer. If you're outdoors, videotape in diffused sun. (like under a tree with a nice canopy or on a slightly overcast day)

Pay attention to crap in the background.

Think of editing as you videotape: take short shots--close-ups, medium, wide angle--let the camera roll for a little bit and then stop, re-position, and roll again.

I agree with getting down at their level.

Have fun!

KCathy
07-02-2008, 08:43 PM
To answer the sharing part of your question, I tried a few different sharing sites when originally photographing and sharing my first baby. My favorite ended up being dropbox.com. I like that you can easily create a network of family and friends, that you can easily download a tool that makes uploading pictures/videos a snap, that others can leave comments, and especially that the site automatically organizes all of your pics/vids by date. You can choose whether or not to password-protect your page for privacy. I've never had any reason to do so yet. I can PM you my page address if you'd like to see an example; just PM me to ask for it if you're interested since I might not see this post later. :-)

Good luck with the article!

Laurie Champion
07-07-2008, 02:56 AM
Best videos I took of my children some twenty-0five years ago: everyday life. I had the notion to video tape them n the back yard, for example. Now those films are precious. the ones of holiday gatherings, trips to the zoo,events we often bring the camera to are too busy, too many people, unfocused.

The ones in the backyard with just he kids playing captured the moments very nicely.

A lot of people who saw the edited dvd I made with scenes from these tapes commented on how great they were due to the everyday quality of them.

S the one filming them, I had to be like an archaeologist, not interfere with what was going on as to not alter the everyday experience, but probably influenced the toddlers knowing they were video taped at least some. But not as much as you might think, given the 2-4 age of the really good shots. Original reality show? LOL.