PDA

View Full Version : Agent Communication

Blondchen
06-30-2008, 04:06 AM
I've been following Cheshire Cat's thread on career development with your agent, and I suddenly had a question about how much literary agents actually communicate with their clients. Obviously, "results may vary by model" but it seems to me that the level of daily/weekly/monthly involvment with most clients is pretty light. Which I personally would find very frustrating.

Would love to hear from some of the experienced, agented AWers out there!

Shady Lane
06-30-2008, 04:21 AM
I'd say my agent and I email each other once every two weeks or so, usually just with small updates. And she calls when there's news.

Memnon624
06-30-2008, 06:48 AM
It really depends. Sometimes we might talk or email three or four times a week; other times, I might not hear from him, or him from me, for a month. There really is no norm in any part of this business . . .

Best,

Scott

CheshireCat
06-30-2008, 07:11 AM
What Scott said.

There really isn't an average. But if you expect your agent to be in touch regularly (whatever your definition of that may be), make your expectations clear up front.

Blondchen
06-30-2008, 08:00 AM
What Scott said.

There really isn't an average. But if you expect your agent to be in touch regularly (whatever your definition of that may be), make your expectations clear up front.

Very interesting. My only experience dealing with agents of any kind is as a business manager for my boss/husband. When I say that I place a dozen calls a week to a member of his team, I mean it. Not to mention the emails. I suppose that's how I pictured the literary agent-author relationship too but I guess I was totally wrong!

rugcat
06-30-2008, 09:52 AM
My agent rarely initiates communication unless there's a specific reason. (i.e., I'll be sending contracts next week.)

Occasionally she'll check in to ask how a book is coming. (She knows I tend to get behind)

On the other hand, she always responds promptly to any question i have and is always more than willing to help me with anything at all, anything from talking to my editor about the cover to editorial advice when I'm stuck. But I can go a couple of months without talking to her.

For some, that wouldn't be a comfortable situation. For me, it's a perfect fit.

CheshireCat
07-01-2008, 05:13 AM
Very interesting. My only experience dealing with agents of any kind is as a business manager for my boss/husband. When I say that I place a dozen calls a week to a member of his team, I mean it. Not to mention the emails. I suppose that's how I pictured the literary agent-author relationship too but I guess I was totally wrong!

Well, the thing is, most authors just don't work that closely with their agents. Some agents do provide editorial guidance, of course, but most of the ones I know really don't.

For myself, it would drive me nuts if my agent called me every day -- or I had to call her -- because "we" were working on a project. That's not how "we" work.

I write -- and she does her thing. So she's on the phone to editors, to other agents, to other clients, to a literary attorney she's consulting about a new or altered contract clause. She's reading work from her clients and, when that work is mine, I'll hear her reaction in an extremely timely manner (like within 24 hours).

But if I'm not at a stage where I'm turning in material and one of her other clients is, I'd expect her to be in touch with that client rather than me.

Basically, she's there for me when I need her to be, but I never feel she's looking over my shoulder all the time.

Which is just the way I like it.

JeanneTGC
07-02-2008, 09:16 AM
My experiences are similar to Shady's and Cece's. During contract negotiations I talk to her pretty frequently. When I've got my next novel, synopsis, revision, etc. ready for her it's usually emails to confirm sending and receipt and such. So far revisions she's wanted have been small, so we do those over the phone.

We probably talk on average about once a month and email several times a month. She calls with good news, of course. :D

triceretops
07-02-2008, 09:25 AM
If there's nothing special happening there's no need for communication. I'll email maybe every three weeks to a month, and that is usually to let him know how his revision suggestions are coming along. He sends regular email rejection updates, along with the editor's comments, and that's pretty much a standard thing. I'll comment back on rejections just once.

Tri