I keep forgetting how old I am.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
That's some sort of reality defense mechanism isn't it? I honestly do not know how old I am right at this moment. I'll have to figure it out real quick. Ummm where's my calculator? :eek: That's pretty bad when you have to use a calculator to figure out how old you are. Sheesh.

OH! This is good. I'm not 40 yet. :D

Did any of you have a difficult time turning a certain age? If so, I'd be interested in reading your reply. I'm not doing any sort of write up about this. I am just interested in finding others who can relate.

No I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of not being able to wipe my own bum some day.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Forgetting your age isn't so bad. It's when you forget where you left your teeth is when you need to start worrying.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
LOL!!

My teeth are the only things on my body that haven't begun to sag yet.

Gehanna

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I had a pretty hard wrestle with turning fifty, which I did this past November. The fact that the balance of time is simply no longer tipped in my favor no matter my health or fortune. I had to deliberately shift this from a negative to a positive and just be sure to squeeze and appreciate everything I can out of time, but I used up some of that time arriving at that mindset.

Last edited:

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Lately, I've been much more focused on the things that matter most. For example, both of my parents are still living so I went to spend a couple of nights with them. We all had a good time watching movies together and sitting out on the back porch watching birds and other animals.

A few days ago, I threw a large blanket under a shade tree and spent some time talking with my son about various things. It was a nice lazy day we spent together.

My daughter and I recently had a powdered sugar doughnut fight. That was a blast. Messy but fun.

As for my husband and I, well, that's personal. :D

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
I also forget how old I am but it's not because I'm scared of getting older. It's that it's much easier to remember the year I was born than to remember a number that changes each year. I do that for my husband, my brother, my parents, etc. If I get asked how old they're turning on their birthday, I have to do the calculation. I even sometimes have to do it for my kids, which, in itself, is scary...

Having said that, I'm very concerned about what the future will bring in terms of possible illnesses, lack of mobility, etc. I try to do the best I can now so I can avoid some of these issues later on.

But age? Nah... it doesn't bother me. I'm only 25 years old, really ...(in hexadecimal notation) . :D

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I am a high energy kind of person which is one of the things I receive positive reviews on when I teach long sessions. People tell me that my energy level helps them maintain their attention and makes the long day enjoyable. What will happen when I am not able to put out as much energy?

Performance issues related to educating others and working with patients/clients are the main worries I have about aging.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Bad news. Fifty arrives sooner than forty, sixty, more so, and in an eyeblink, I recently zipped past the middle of my 70s.

The good news is that I think and feel as if I am still in my 40s.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Attitude counts. I need to keep that in mind and not allow my concerns to consume me. It would likely be my worry that would age me faster than actual aging.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
My birthday just passed, so my three youngest keep asking me, "How old are you, Mommy?"

My oldest (age 11) sighs and says, "She's twenty-nine. She'll always be twenty-nine." Yes, I love that kid to pieces. :D

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
This is only IMHO...and only applies to me, so please do not take it personal.

This may sound strange. When I turned 25 it hit me like a rock. 25 is 1/3 of a lifetime....and 1/4 of a century.

I walked around for many days pondering those realities. Think about it. 1/3 of your life....if you consider that anything over 75 is a gift of sorts. (You know. The wiping the bum stuff.)

1/4 of a century. That sounded like a ton of years. What had I done in 1/4 of a century? Whole nations had fallen in shorter time than that. Look at the history just the USA has had happen in 25 years. I still find that amazing.

Now that I am into the past 60...over 1/2 of a century... of my life time it is not a concern for me. I'm ready to go whenever my time comes. My stuff is done and that is that. Way over 2/3 of my life. I'm alot close to the end of the of my life. So be it.

So I guess it is from what direction you look at stuff. Wonders off mumbling something about a new watch...........

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
When you buy at ticket for the movies and they offer you the senior discount.

And one can't read the bleeping ticket because one left one's readers on the top of one's bleeping noggin.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I lost a year when I turned 46, no shit, I thought I turned 47, so I went the whole year thinking I was 47 when i was 46, then on my next birthday i thought I was 48 when my wife nudged me and reminded me that I was in fact now 47. Which means I blew the whole goddamn year I was 46. When i told people everyone said well, yeah, but now you get to do 47 all over again. BUT THATS NOT THE POINT!!!! I screamed..... I will never in my whole life know how it felt to be 46, yet I had to suffer two 47's which quite frankly weren't steller years. eeeeeggggaaddds,,, I feel your pain...

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
This is only IMHO...and only applies to me, so please do not take it personal.

This may sound strange. When I turned 25 it hit me like a rock. 25 is 1/3 of a lifetime....and 1/4 of a century.

I walked around for many days pondering those realities. Think about it. 1/3 of your life....if you consider that anything over 75 is a gift of sorts. (You know. The wiping the bum stuff.)

1/4 of a century. That sounded like a ton of years. What had I done in 1/4 of a century? Whole nations had fallen in shorter time than that. Look at the history just the USA has had happen in 25 years. I still find that amazing.

Now that I am into the past 60...over 1/2 of a century... of my life time it is not a concern for me. I'm ready to go whenever my time comes. My stuff is done and that is that. Way over 2/3 of my life. I'm alot close to the end of the of my life. So be it.

So I guess it is from what direction you look at stuff. Wonders off mumbling something about a new watch...........

Hard to relate....I have underware 25 years old...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I lost a year when I turned 46, no shit, I thought I turned 47, so I went the whole year thinking I was 47 when i was 46, then on my next birthday i thought I was 48 when my wife nudged me and reminded me that I was in fact now 47. Which means I blew the whole goddamn year I was 46. When i told people everyone said well, yeah, but now you get to do 47 all over again. BUT THATS NOT THE POINT!!!! I screamed..... I will never in my whole life know how it felt to be 46, yet I had to suffer two 47's which quite frankly weren't steller years. eeeeeggggaaddds,,, I feel your pain...
LOL! I did that for a day with I was 46.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Thirty-eight was a little weird. I haven't cared about any of the 'milestone' ages, but I had to laugh at myself when it bothered me that I could no longer claim to be in my mid-thirties.

Stupid. I know.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's some sort of reality defense mechanism isn't it? I honestly do not know how old I am right at this moment.

Did any of you have a difficult time turning a certain age? If so, I'd be interested in reading your reply. I'm not doing any sort of write up about this. I am just interested in finding others who can relate.

No I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of not being able to wipe my own bum some day.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Is it your birthday today by any chance?

And to answer your question:

I freaked out when I turned 30 because I wasn't married yet and didn't have any kids. I felt like an old maid. A co-worker said, "Relax. You still have lots of time." She was right. I got married and now have 3 kids.

Turning 40 was kinda strange, but not too bad. My biggest regret was not having accomplished much professionally.

Turning 50 was freaky, too. Relatives like to give you those "Fifty is Nifty" shirts. And gag gifts like Depends and denture cream. But I am trying to focus on the POSITIVE now. My kids are now adults and are much more independent. For the first time in 22 years I can do anything I want without having to worry how it will affect my family. I am looking at my fifties as a great time to pursue my interests and attain my goals.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a hard time when I turned thirty. I'm having trouble with all of the birthdays since then, and I can't get away from it.

My kids are obsessed with birthdays and ages, and they're constantly asking me how old I am. That word, "old". I hate it. I feel old, and that's part of the problem. If I felt younger, then I suspect my actual age wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

:)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Actually I keep thinking I'm a year older. I kept telling people that and my friends would correct me. To people I don't know, I'm always 28.