We made a planter box!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, maybe this is a little silly, but I had to share. :) This weekend hubby and I managed to construct a planter box with a ramp for Bruce (our baby tortoise). I'm a carpenter's daughter and I'm used to having an entire garage full of power tools, so doing this with nothing more than a hammer and a hand saw was a bit of a challenge. It's kinda rudimentary, nothing fancy, but Bruce likes it! :)

IMG_2631-1.jpg

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Bruce is a little too small to really navigate the ramp (he got this far before sliding down) so we're going to be fiddling with that a bit until he can get up. :)

IMG_2640.jpg

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Gah! Sorry, I am trying to make the photos smaller but photobucket is being dumb.

ETA: Okay, got it. :)

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Jo. Gots a question. Where does the ramp lead to ....down? Do you let him run wild? :Shrug:Does your area have, (you know this is coming.) leash laws? :roll:

Oh, oh.....got another one...(ready?) Do the neighbor complain about the noise? :poke:

All kidding aside....nice job.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Wendy: Ha! Yes, in fact, our balcony/porch is enclosed, so we let him run free whenever one of us is around and it's sunny. Just had to put rocks in front of the drainage spouts so there were no, uh, tragic accidents. ;)

And so far he only makes one noise-- the Angry Tortoise Hiss. This occurs if I pick him up BEFORE HE IS DONE PLAYING OUTSIDE. He's very spoiled. :)

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Too cool, Jo - very nice job. Bruce is adorable, and I love his name. :)

How big will he be when full-grown?

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Thats so cute. He's a lucky tortoise!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Love the picket fence!

Are you going to put in a pool? Does Bruce swim?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
:ROFL: No, sorry, no pool. Apparently the one major difference between turtles and tortoises is that tortoises cannot swim. He does have a little wading pool, however. ;)

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
this is so cool. you did good.
my daughter and I want to construct an outdoor habitat of some type for our Mr. T . (box turtle). he does not live n water but he does like a daily dip, and prefers to 'catch' his food floating in water..so we need to include a pool in ours.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Places like Home Depot and garden stores have those plastic liners you can use for ponds, that might be good! The only thing is they tend to fill up with crud and sediment. My dad made a little waterfall and pool at my parents house, and what he did was drill a hole in the bottom and add a little pipe so he could drain it from the bottom (the pool is at a higher elevation on their property, and it drains out low).

I used to have a box turtle... just beware that they dig! I had him outside at my folks house, nodded off for a bit... and when I woke up he was GONE.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
:ROFL: No, sorry, no pool. Apparently the one major difference between turtles and tortoises is that tortoises cannot swim. He does have a little wading pool, however. ;)

Oh, but tortoises like mud pools, and would leave cute, muddy footprints on your tiles. :D

Last edited: