"I shoulda said..."

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Ever have a discussion or argument with someone, and two days later you thought of something that you wish you would've said? Rewrite history! Write the argument the way you wish it had gone.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
The French call this "esprit de l’escalier". I call it, "Gee, if only I'd thought of that then."

I've had a few rough arguments over the last few months, so I think I'll sit this one out.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
three seven said:
"I think we should get married."
"Taxi!"​
:roll: :roll: :roll:
That's by far the best I've heard.

My friends and I often consult each other on these situations. Usually, they - not being writers - ask me what they should've said, and I can come up with something pithy and brilliant. Me, on the other hand... I'm terrible in the moment, and I always come up with these nuggets of genius later, but then the editor in my head plays with it until I come up with the best possible response - usually a week or two after the entire incident (when surely the other person involved has long since forgotten about it).

All those moments (and there have been hundreds, if not thousands) are gone, as the only thing in my brain is MISUNDERSTANDINGS. Amazing how being on the spot can make you forget every embarrassing moment, fight, blunder, etc.

Rob-rite

A wanderer returning...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
robsweeney-singer.tumblr.com
what life needs is a pause button. That way you could pace up and down for a while contemplating the best retort. You'd need rewind as a back-up of course ...

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Rob-rite said:
what life needs is a pause button. That way you could pace up and down for a while contemplating the best retort. You'd need rewind as a back-up of course ...
Or that thing from Galaxy Quest, the time-travel machine that only goes back 15 seconds.

No, a pause/rewind button is definitely better. Brilliant, in fact. There's a commercial running in Canada (and maybe the States) right now about life having an "EASY" button - I take issue with the word (just doesn't fit, syntactically - is that a word?), but I think an ad campaign "if life only had a pause button" would be great.

Your SIM avatar is beginning to scare me, Rob :scared:

Last edited:

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
I usually end up regretting what I said, not thinking of what I should have said. Seems I was absent the day they passed out the filters between your brain and your mouth.:Ssh:

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Oh yes, Melina. I've been in the position of shoulda, coulda, woulda, many times in discussions. At one time I was quick with responses, I'm afraid my quick wit has failed me more often than not. I like the idea of a pause button; but I'd forget to turn it back on. ;)
Joanne

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I almost never regret anything. What is said and done has been said and done. Can't take it back. No point of wondering shoulda, woulda, coulda.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I was in the kitchen with Erick and Elisa while they loaded the dishwasher. The timeless debate of handles up or down manifested itself. Elisa said, "Neither. Put some up and some down so they don't nest."

Erick replied, "Nest? Ooooo, I thought they only did that in the wild!"

Later I wished I'd pointed out that if the inside of a raging dishwasher isn't "the wild" for your cutlery, I don't wanna know what is.

But it still wouldn't have been as funny as what Erick said. And it's certainly not funny all this time later.

-pkpk