If you run out of gas with a Harley

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
...specifically a 1972 Sportster. Is there anything special you need to do to get it started again other than re-fueling?

TS Tate

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm brand new to this community, but I have a hubby who knows bikes, loves bikes and has a sportster.

A question first, though. Does the bike have a reserve switch on the fuel switch? If you do, just turn it to reserve if you run out and you can start it back up again.

If its 'bone dry' (his phrase, not mine) fill up the tank, give it a few twists of the throttle to get the gas to the carb and crank it up. Also, make sure the vent on the gas cap is open.

Hope that helps a bit

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
Gads! I forgot about the reserve tank. (haven't ridden my OWN bike since 1982) I bet the bike's original (fictitious) owner did too, which gives me perfect opportunity to explain why a beauty of a bike like that was left to weeds.

THANK YOU!!!!

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
This one would have a reserve switch and no fuel pump, like practically all bikes of its day. In fact, there wouldn't be a fuel gage, so riders usually rely on the odometer or let it run out of gas on purpose and then flip to the reserve. It probably wouldn't have a vacuum petcock, but if it did, you have to put it in the "prime" position for a couple minutes after running out of gas, or it will be very difficult to get it started.

If it's been sitting in the weeds for years, it will probably need a full carburetor rebuild and several of its rubber parts replaced, however.

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
This one would have a reserve switch and no fuel pump, like practically all bikes of its day. In fact, there wouldn't be a fuel gage, so riders usually rely on the odometer or let it run out of gas on purpose and then flip to the reserve. It probably wouldn't have a vacuum petcock, but if it did, you have to put it in the "prime" position for a couple minutes after running out of gas, or it will be very difficult to get it started.

If it's been sitting in the weeds for years, it will probably need a full carburetor rebuild and several of its rubber parts replaced, however.
I've also seen the "wiggle" test where you open the cap, rock the bike back and forth and try to see or hear the gas in the tank.

Is that right?
Oh, and could you tap the reserve tank to hear if it is full or not?

Amy