PDA

View Full Version : Dixie County Florida

She_wulf
06-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Natural surroundings question. Are there swampy areas?

Thanks in advance,

Amy

Stacia Kane
06-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I've never been to Dixie county, but there probably are--though not swampy like in south FL. I've been to Pensacola and it wasn't swampy like it was in Miami/Ft Laud etc. (I lived there for 12 years.)

More like lots of Spanish Moss type swampy, as opposed to Everglades swampy, if you know what I mean. Lots of kudzu. But I don't think anyone would bat an eye, really, if you write about a swamp there. All of FL is pretty much sea level, so it's not unbelievable that it would be swampy there.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Siddow
06-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Not familiar with the area myself, but have you done a google-earth flyover?

Another local resource I like is the city-data forums. www.city-data.com. Lots of people on there willing to help out with local stuff, just go to the Florida forum (and appropriate sub-forum, if necessary) and post your question.

Here's a more direct link to the Florida forum. (http://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/)

fedorable1
06-30-2008, 03:05 PM
I live in Marion County, FL. Dixie County isn't that swampy. It's a coastal area, so other than beachfront property it's mostly flatland and of course urban property. There are lakes and ponds dotted all over, so it's not out of the question to find a swamp - but it's not exactly the Everglades.

She_wulf
06-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I live in Marion County, FL. Dixie County isn't that swampy. It's a coastal area, so other than beachfront property it's mostly flatland and of course urban property. There are lakes and ponds dotted all over, so it's not out of the question to find a swamp - but it's not exactly the Everglades.
I'm thinking it would be low-level marshy areas with tupelo and (in non domesticated areas) weedy with beggarticks, crab grass, thistle, etc.

Am I wrong there?

Amy