PDA

View Full Version : Bigfoot sightings all over the world?

Dario D.
06-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi all. My main character makes a minor knock on some types of urban legends, so I was wondering something...

Can anyone attest to there being many Bigfoot sightings in non-North American countries?
(other Bigfoot names: Yeti, Sasquatch, The Abominable Snowman...)

Without any foresight into this, I want my MC to point out that most species of animals - especially larger ones - can only be found in certain regions of the world, and yet Bigfoot seems to pop up in every wooded corner of almost every continent.

I haven't gotten to this part yet, so I'm still weighing my options of what to cover... but does this make sense? Is Bigfoot a worldwide thing?

'Shame... I used to be well-read on this stuff when I was younger, but it was mostly North America-related. I know Russia has its share of Bigfoot stuff, but I'm wondering about other regions as well.

Mumut
06-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Australia has the Yowie and there is supposted to be one near to where I live, at Kilkoy, 35km away. But as for animals. Pigs are all over the world except for the Antarctic. In the Isle of Man there is the Fowar (I think it is spelt). It is a giant but quite friendly. The Bougain is big but not at all friendly. In Papua New Guinea there is the Sanguma and the Masalai. The latter is more like the Yowie. It lives in dangerous places like whirlpools or tidal rips.

Puma
06-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi Dario - I think Bigfoot/Sasquatch/Yeti/Abominable Snowman is pretty well limited to specific areas of the world - northern hemisphere, cooler, somewhat mountainous or at least heavily wooded with low habitation. I think (but may be wrong) that the majority of sightings and research work have been in Tibet.

But there are definitely monster stories on every continent - Mo'kele Mmebe (spelling?) in the Congo area, Nessie, even Grendel in Beowulf. Puma

Summonere
06-29-2008, 05:34 AM
Last time I saw a big foot, I was putting on my shoes...

In any event, last map I saw of reported bigfoot sightings, some version of the beastie seems to have been spotted on just about every continent imaginable. Heck, there have even been recent sightings in Malaysia. Malaysia, of all places! The classic US locale has always been (well, when I was a kiddie paying attention to such things) the Pacific Northwest.

Oh but there have been sightings in Oklahoma, too. Oklahoma, of all places! Northeastern and southeastern Oklahoma have been cited, and though I just returned from a weeklong vacation in the backwoods of SE Oklahoma, I can report firsthand that I didn't see any big feet down there other than my own. (And yes, I pulled off my flippy flops and ran bare nekkid of footsies through every bar ditch and patch of mud I could find.)

Keyan
06-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi all. My main character makes a minor knock on some types of urban legends, so I was wondering something...

Can anyone attest to there being many Bigfoot sightings in non-North American countries?
(other Bigfoot names: Yeti, Sasquatch, The Abominable Snowman...)

Without any foresight into this, I want my MC to point out that most species of animals - especially larger ones - can only be found in certain regions of the world, and yet Bigfoot seems to pop up in every wooded corner of almost every continent.

I haven't gotten to this part yet, so I'm still weighing my options of what to cover... but does this make sense? Is Bigfoot a worldwide thing?

'Shame... I used to be well-read on this stuff when I was younger, but it was mostly North America-related. I know Russia has its share of Bigfoot stuff, but I'm wondering about other regions as well.

I don't think Bigfoot is, though Big Shaggy Monsters may be.

The problem with that line of logic is that many animals do show up in related forms across many geographies. Big cats, for instance, are found in Asia, Africa, South America, and even, if you count Mountain Lions, North America. Europe lacks them only because they've been exterminated, if I recall correctly. Bears are found in Asia, Europe, North America.

Of course, the species may differ. It's lions in Africa, jaguars in South American, tigers in India. But given that no one actually has been close enough to a Big Shaggy Monster to determine species or to take DNA, it's possible that the yeti and the bigfoot are only as closely related as the sloth bear and the brown bear.

Phil DeBlanque
06-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Brazil has not an equivalent to Big Foot, but a couple of things that get close enough:

First, oddly enough, we have native legends about werewolves (yes, there are native wolves in Brazil) and mermaids (here called Iaras or Water-mothers), almost ipsis-literis with the european ones.

Caipora: pictured as an indian boy, with feet backwards. that way, it tricks the hunters, making they go deeper and deeper in the woods, where they get lost and ultimatelly die. Latelly, with the green fad, the Caipora is becoming more and more a sympathetic monster, being called "guardian of nature". (BTW, don't get the words mixed: myth creature: Caipora. Brazilian redneck: Caipira. Martial art: Capoeira)

Mula-sem-cabeça (headless donkey): A donkey, with flames where the head was supposed to be. The headless donkey is supposed to be either the 7th son of a couple or the woman who falls in love with a priest

Boitatá: a gigantic snake with only one eye that shines/is made of fire. Very quick, feeds on human meat. That's the most vicious creature around here I can think of.

Boto (dolphin) : our version of Dracula. There's lots of river Dolphins on the Amazon. Once in a while, they fall in love for young women, so they disguise thenselves as men to seduce'em. The boto is always handsome, well-spoken, but can't desguise the hole on their heads, so they always wear a hat.
To this day, on smaller cities of the amazon area states, when some single girl suddenly is with child, people say it's a "son of the boto", and the parents of the sassy girl pretend to believe. Is that a convenient legend, or what? :D

veinglory
06-29-2008, 11:44 PM
The thing with the big cats all over the world is we see them. I think the wide geographic range is less of a problem than the lack of a single genetic sample, not so much as a hair or little saliva,

Dario D.
06-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback, all.

I share many of these thoughts (and more) you all have about the probability of Bigfoot existing.

To me, the idea of it being real is completely ridiculous, but of all the urban legends I can think of, I have always thought that it by far makes the most logical sense (just a very rare species of ape that likes to walk around and get photographed too blurry to see the zipper), but, of course, I don't actually think such a thing could exist, for quite a few reasons.

A donkey, with flames where the head was supposed to be.
No, this one makes a great deal of scientific sense. The best way they've found to track it down is to follow each year's massive forest fires, because it has a knack for igniting every bush and tree it tries to eat from... you know, eating with it's fire. I don't know how it chews, but it still makes a lot of sense. But it's no surprise why their population is so low.

CATastrophe
07-02-2008, 04:14 AM
You know, there's a couple websites devoted to Big Foot sightings.

On this site, there's a link about a scientific conference in 2003 about Big Foot with the intro provided by Jane Goodall. These folks are serious.
Big Foot Field Research - (http://www.bfro.net/)Founded in 1995 - The only scientific research organization exploring the bigfoot / sasquatch mystery.

Big Foot Sightings (http://bigfootsightings.org/)

I forgot about this article (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/10/1023_031023_bigfoot.html) in National Geographic about Big Foot.

Maybe these will help!

Jenny
07-02-2008, 04:31 AM
A google search under "cryptozoology" will probably turn up "facts" you wouldn't believe!

I'm tempted to make up my own contribution, probably a spider. But I'll resist.

Sarpedon
07-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Imaginary animals are usually culture specific.

I recall reading a few years ago how residents of an Indian city were terrified by a man sized ape that would sexually assault people who were sleeping on their roofs.

veinglory
07-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Latter day groups tend to 'mash' specifc cultural monster together. Chariots of fire become ufos, taniwha dragons etc. So people may say 'bigfoot' to mean a very wide range of myths based on vague and scattered descriptions and ambiguous pictures. This rhinoceros (monokeros) became the unicorn, in relative recent times.

lorcan
07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Yeti has been "sighted" in the Himalayan regions, specifically Nepal. I think there may even have been a bad B-movie about it in the 1970s.

Cheers,
Marjorie

Heath
07-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Bigfoot is typically associated with a remnant of gigantopithecus.

My novel deals extensively with Bigfoot. I can point you to some books if you want.

There is the Yowie in Australia, the "Walker" in Iran, the Yeti in the Himalayas, and numerous types identified by Native American Indians.