At last: CorningWare made in CORNING, New York, USA

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
If you love Corning Ware, you most likely hate what World Kitchen has done to this venerable American brand: Shut down the Pyroceram cookware factory in Charleroi, Pennsylvania, lay off all the workers and slap the name "CorningWare" (note the absence of the space) on failure-prone stoneware from China, Indonesia and Thailand.

Even worse, World Kitchen began 2008 by putting a "50th Anniversary" badge on the www.corningware.com website. In reality, Corning Ware Pyroceram cookware barely survived the 1990s.

I don't know if World Kitchen has read all the scathing reviews of "CorningWare" stoneware on Amazon.com, but just in time for the 4th of July, they're launching CorningWare SimplyLite cookware. It's made from Vitrelle, the same material as in Corelle Livingware dishes. It'll be the first time since the 1990s that a "CorningWare" product has been actually made in Corning, New York.

It's a step in the right direction. Dare we hope the return of Pyroceram is in the works? :)

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There wasn't some form of trademark infringement litigation involved in the substution of "CorningWare" for "Corning Ware"? I find that hard to fathom, in our current culture.

caw

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
There wasn't some form of trademark infringement litigation involved in the substution of "CorningWare" for "Corning Ware"? I find that hard to fathom, in our current culture.

caw
Nope. Corning Inc. (formerly Corning Glass Works) owns the trademark whether it's "Corning Ware" or "CorningWare" and licensed it to World Kitchen.

It's a step in the right direction, that is, back to a product that's different from plain ol' stoneware or other glass bakeware.