Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Hey. I did not want to write that sentence. I also did not want to lead off with the "Rest In Peace Dark prince" and "1937-2008" crap the media will no doubt shovel forth, because I understand how much he would have hated that. And the ensuing comics of him partying with Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor in the magical cloudland called Heaven, a concept he made very clear he did not endorse.
Here's what he would have wanted to hear: he made a difference. He was a nitpicky, tireless student and critic of our language and it's many nuances. He loved pissing off the right people. And to the bitter end, he was funny. He was unique, and the world is a little less fun without him.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I'd heard someone mention he had passed on, and I didn't believe it until I read this.

It's still hard to believe.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno if you saw the longish and cantankerous (I'll take partial credit for it) thread already in Politics & Current Events on Carlin's death and life, but it's over there. Meanwhile, I'll add a couple more thoughts here.

Someone's blog (I think I got to it from "Have you updated your blog today?", perhaps indirectly somehow) called him a linguist, which indeed he was - a commentator on language, as well as many other things. But I had to add a comment to the blog, sticking a smart-ass adjective in front of that label to make a homonym on a "dirty word" Carlin would appreciate.

And I can imagine George Carlin's reaction upon entering Heaven: "What the f*** am I doing here? I'm not supposed to be here. I'm not supposed to be ANYWHERE. If there really were anything to religion I'd show up in that other place in the middle of a coffee break. How do I check out of this place? How do I check out period? I thought I already HAD checked out."

But then Johnny Carson and a few others (maybe even That Guy he made so many jokes about) greet him once again, and talk him into telling his version of the "The Aristocrats" joke. Oh, to be a fly on the wall...

Status
Not open for further replies.