Status
Not open for further replies.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
... because no one else will.

NBC Settles "Predator" Suicide Suit

NBC Universal has settled a $105 million lawsuit brought by a woman who claimed a televised sex sting by "Dateline NBC: To Catch A Predator" drove her brother to kill himself.

Patricia Conradt's lawsuit had claimed her brother, a suburban Dallas prosecutor, fatally shot himself after he was accused of engaging in a sexually explicit online chat with an adult posing as a 13-year-old boy.

In February, a federal judge issued a scathing ruling in the case, saying a jury might conclude the network "crossed the line from responsible journalism to irresponsible and reckless intrusion into law enforcement."

New episodes of "To Catch A Predator" ended in December, with the future of the series uncertain.

Many other jurisdictions are dropping charges against caught predators. I understand there are charges about "entrapment" but anyone who makes any contact with a "minor" looking for sex is not being lured.

Plus, every person who is caught on the show must sign a release form for it to air. Everyone you see on TCAP - signed.

And someone committed suicide because he was caught, and his family sues. Shouldn't they be more concerned that their relative was a pedophile who cowardly escaped justice? No innocent man will shoot himself when so accused.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the 'buddy-buddy' relationship all these police reality shows perpetuate between Law Enforcement and the media, and the blurring of the line between justice and entertainment.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. This is another case where the courts seem to have no knowledge of this world or the values and requirements of normal, decent families.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I'm more concerned about the 'buddy-buddy' relationship all these police reality shows perpetuate between Law Enforcement and the media, and the blurring of the line between justice and entertainment.

I agree. I have seen a couple of those shows and they sicken me. They are not about catching predators, they are about ratings. I don't know why they sit with me so badly but the presenter(s) are just so friggin' smug. That one guy reminds me of the dorky creep who gets a little power and turns into a bully.

Status
Not open for further replies.