"Why do you read fiction? It's brain waste material."

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
While at work yesterday, I developed a sudden urge to annoy a particular emergency department physician. Being an occasional nuisance is a nasty, negative attention seeking habit of mine. People tend to perceive me as being a serious and intense kind of person. For this reason, I make crude statements every so often just to see the look on people's faces. It cracks me up. Yes, I am easily amused.

I noticed that the doc was reading a fantasy book. Unfortunately, I do not recall the name of it. I spoke with him briefly about the book and then I said, "Why do you read fiction? It's brain waste material. I only read non-fiction books." I utilized a condescending tone when I said this to him.

Oh boy, I wish you could have seen the look on his face. It was a priceless moment and took all I had to avoid laughing. He began to lecture me using his non-fiction intellect to make various points about the importance of reading fiction. Having been somewhat shocked by my comment, he concluded his lecture by asking, "Are you going to get all extremist on me now?"

Maintaining my poker face I said, "Yes I am. I believe that reading fiction is a waste of time. I feel this way because I'm an elf. A woodland elf."

:D

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
While at work yesterday, I developed a sudden urge to annoy a particular emergency department physician. Being an occasional nuisance is a nasty, negative attention seeking habit of mine. People tend to perceive me as being a serious and intense kind of person. For this reason, I make crude statements every so often just to see the look on people's faces. It cracks me up. Yes, I am easily amused.

I noticed that the doc was reading a fantasy book. Unfortunately, I do not recall the name of it. I spoke with him briefly about the book and then I said, "Why do you read fiction? It's brain waste material. I only read non-fiction books." I utilized a condescending tone when I said this to him.

Oh boy, I wish you could have seen the look on his face. It was a priceless moment and took all I had to avoid laughing. He began to lecture me using his non-fiction intellect to make various points about the importance of reading fiction. Having been somewhat shocked by my comment, he concluded his lecture by asking, "Are you going to get all extremist on me now?"

Maintaining my poker face I said, "Yes I am. I believe that reading fiction is a waste of time. I feel this way because I'm an elf. A woodland elf."

:D

Sincerely,
Gehanna

You're the person that makes gullible people like me cry. :cry:

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Did you know, the majority of men I dated later became alcoholics. That's the statistical truth. :eek:

Gehanna

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I would have taking it an additional step and stated you had just finished reading 'Surgery For Dummies'. And that it doesn't sound that hard.

JJ

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Did you know, the majority of men I dated later became alcoholics. That's the statistical truth. :eek:

Gehanna

The majority of my past boyfriends are dead, and were dead before the age of 30. Ok, maybe not the majority, but half of them are.

Seriously.

Of course I have only had 6 boyfriends, if memory serves. One is an ex who is unfortunately living, another is my wonderful husband. One manages a gym and three are dead. One from suicide, one in a car accident and one from a drug-induced heart attack. Wait - there is one more, but he wasn't really a boyfriend. More of a flirt and date thing. He's dead, too. He died in prison, where he was living after murdering a woman who stopped to help him on the side of a road. I have excellent taste.

Last edited:

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score

Gehanna

I thought that was just because I dated men that tended to be alcoholics. Are you trying to say that was me? Us? Too bad they couldn't also be drunk and suicidal.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
My husband actually has that attitude about fiction, though not in so many words.

Although he completely supports me, asks questions, gives suggestions when prompted, and is just as excited at the prospect of me being published as I am, he doesn't understand the point in reading fiction. He things, why read something from which you can't learn?

He doesn't get it, and that's okay.

I'll choose to still love him anyway. :)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit that I do enjoy working with the group of emergency department physicians at our hospital. They are highly intelligent and have a great sense of humor. The nurses and techs are fantastic as well. I am fortunate in that regard.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
It's funny a physician is that self-conscious about his reading material. He's a DOCTOR. He's the guy you make smart jokes about...right after the rocket scientist. He went to school for a hundred years to get that MD at the end of his name. I'm not self conscious about what I read and I work in a hotel. People are people as they say...

But...maybe that's the story? Maybe he thinks you think he is supposed to be too smart to read fiction. Maybe he is worried that he looks like someone who isn't a doctor. Maybe he feels people are looking at him and saying to themselves...'doctor huh...reading THAT book...mmhmmmm'. Maybe when he's at the shop buying fantasy books he shrugs at the checkout desk and remarks that he likes to read them at the hotel where he works.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Inkdaub,

That is a possibility but, I felt it was more his concern about my attitude than his self-consciousness.

I do not really feel this way about fiction but, he didn't know that at the time. He knows now. :D

The main problem I will have now is trying to convince him of when I am being serious.

Sincerely,
Gehanna