William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i had planned to tack this on to an existing thread, but which one?

the one about some christians thinking (and saying) that people outside their belief system are enternally doomed?

the one about obama carefully skirting the gay issue for fear he may alienate black evangelicals who, as a group, may well be one of the most anti-gay blocs in america?

the one where al sharpton is called a nutjob? (oh wait, technically, that's this one)...

* oh, if you get the pop culture reference of the thread title, you get a cookie.

In a discussion about the James Dobson attacks on Obama I posted about yesterday, Anderson Cooper hosted Al Sharpton, author Roland Martin and Family Research Council President Tony Perkins. As the three debated Evangelicals and the issues of homosexuality, HIV and AIDS, abortion, and religious tolerance, the conversation took a turn when Sharpton pointed out that Anderson may land in Hell for his behavior, whatever that might be...

Says Sharpton: "I may have some very conservative personal feelings but I feel you have the right to live your life differently. I may think that what you do Anderson is gonna put you in Hell, but I'm gonna defend your right to get there."

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/06/al-sharpton-def.html

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get the reference. Where's my cookie?

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that the other night and laughed out loud. I think Rev Al meant the generic "you," but still. AC handled it quite well.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
School's out for Anderson?

Well, maybe that's not what Rev. Al meant.

Let's face it, If there is a God, and even half of what the accumulation of what folks believe is right, Rev. Al is going to find himself a bit farther down on the guest list than he might profess.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
If Hell actually exists, I'm sure that's where I'll end up and it's nice to know Anderson will be there with me. :D

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had any use for Sharpton, but after reading that statement I've gotta say I'm right there behind him. That is a great definition of 'tolerance,' and witty besides. I'm gonna remember that one. (I know people who'll stroke out if they hear me quoting Al Sharpton :D)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The title led me to believe Anderson would be doing a live CNN report from Hell. A few years ago he was at/near the Southeast coast in a hurricane hitting land, just barely able to stand up in the wind, interviewing a meteorologist who had a handheld windspeed measuring device saying the wind was blowing at 75mph.

I can see him reporting from Hell with another meteorologist (they should be in plentiful supply down there, you know how often those weather forcasters lie) holding an oven thermometer and reporting the temperature.

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
The good reverend probably shouldn't be speculating about someone else.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Al Sharpton should worry about himself going to Hell first. Whenever someone tells another "you're going to Hell" I cringe. How sentimental. Aw, should we send a "Wish You Were Here" postcard once we're there?

Not to mention to "out" Cooper in such a sneaky way is uncouth. Al Sharpton, God is watching you.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I really like Anderson Cooper. He puts himself so into his work that I've seen it harm him physically. I'll never forget his coverage of New Orleans. He's awesome. I wish people would allow people to be people.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The good reverend probably shouldn't be speculating about someone else.

We just had a long thread devoted mainly to this very issue: A lot of Christians do a lot of speculating about the hellish future of the "unsaved", as defined by their particular interpretation of Christianity. Columnist Cal Thomas, perhaps the most smarmy of the Christian Right op-ed types, has said that Barack Obama has no right to call himself a Christian. James Dobson just a couple of days ago accused Obama of having a "fruitcake" view of Christian theology. On and on, the venom of Christian love. It has always amazed me how quick the most vociferous "Christians" are to pay attention to the actions and expressions of others, while doing little about their own.

caw

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder where I could put in to be his roomate. Hell would be heaven with that little dreamboat!

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
The title led me to believe Anderson would be doing a live CNN report from Hell.

"Dateline: The River Acheron. Tonight, it's a lonely place. A place where you'll meet the souls of people who did nothing in life for good or evil, and oh, my...do these folks ever look uncomfortable. Sanjay, can you tell us more?

"Anderson, these people are being continually stung by wasps and hornets, all the while having their blood sucked by maggots to be punished for taking no side in the Rebellion of Angels. It's a tough one, but not as tough as the guys in the lower circles whose flesh is being ripped by demons! Well, back to you!"

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
His parents or his mom is someone famous and I can't remember who, does anyone know, coopers that is?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Might I add that he is a fabulous writer... read the story... he's good.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anderson is a nordic name; Swedish or Danish. Anyway, they're neutral . Hell isn't interested in neutral: too boring.

Next.

"Wright? Step up, please."

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, if heaven is filled with puffed-up blowhards like Sharpton, Dobson, Hagee, etc., hell might be the place to be, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.