PDA

View Full Version : What if you never threw away anything -

Upbeat
06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
...and someone else goes through it all when you suddenly become incapacitated - or dead?
Sure! - you'd not much care at that point; but what good or bad stuff might they find?

ACEnders
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Oh....not cool. Nude pictures, diaries, letter received, letters never sent....

Need I say more? ;)

cletus
06-26-2008, 05:46 PM
umm...ummm...I was going to type something but got derailed by ACEnders nude pictures.

Upbeat
06-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Oh....not cool. Nude pictures, diaries, letter received, letters never sent....

Need I say more? ;)

oops ! - Time for Spring cleaning???

James81
06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh you know, whips, chains, a collection of dried insect penises...the usual.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh. I don't wanna go there. Srsly.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-26-2008, 08:29 PM
(But I work for a guy who also does estate auctions... you'd be AMAZED.)

Kitrianna
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
I have no worries. Anything incriminating has been burnt. Throwing it into the trash would just mean that someone might stumble across it. I love living in the country! I know, I'm not playing fair... :D

maestrowork
06-26-2008, 08:57 PM
I have it in my will that everything in my house should be burned and never gone through. Just burn everything in it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-26-2008, 09:04 PM
And you believe your executor will honor that wish? :D

P.H.Delarran
06-26-2008, 09:05 PM
this just happened to a dear friend. her mother was a pack-rat in the worst way, kept everything. she passed last December. she had several storage units crammed front to back, top to bottom, as well as every spare corner in her home, including bathrooms, spare cars and campers, etc. in addition to a lot of collectible items, my friend found bags and bags full of unopened mail. there's where the treasure was, had it been usable. hundreds and hundreds of dollars of uncashed checks. somehow all her bills got paid, but she had rebate checks and money from some settlement and from ex-tenants who owed her and gifts as well. crazy, and so unnecessary. the amount she spent on storage alone would have fed a family, and it was almost all thrown out when she passed. it's been 6 months and my friend is just finally reaching the end of the sorting and tossing process.
in all that though, they found not one incriminating piece of anything, with the exception of the tonnage itself.

maestrowork
06-26-2008, 09:19 PM
When my friend's father passed, they found all kinds of things in his "house" -- the father had lived as a recluse for years, despite the fact that he was a doctor. The house was filled -- totally filled from bottom to top, from wall to wall -- with junk. You couldn't even walk through the hallway. Everything from guns to damaged books to "strange" artifacts (such as a real human skull). If you hadn't known the man you would have thought it was the house of the Unibomber. Eventually they bulldozed the house because it was "condemned." They had to rent two storage units to keep all the stuff, and it took them three years to sort through/sell/dispose of everything of value.

Kitrianna
06-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Ok you guys have made me feel much better about my father in-law's packratitis. I though that it was bad that he was still storing stuff in my house and shed, but they're only little spots...

Fraulein
06-26-2008, 10:15 PM
I would just hope that someone would throw away my panties. That's all I can think of.

Upbeat
06-27-2008, 03:40 AM
(But I work for a guy who also does estate auctions... you'd be AMAZED.)

Tell us more!

Devil Ledbetter
06-27-2008, 03:51 AM
...and someone else goes through it all when you suddenly become incapacitated - or dead?
Sure! - you'd not much care at that point; but what good or bad stuff might they find?At that point, it shouldn't matter.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-27-2008, 03:55 AM
No can do... that's all private to the client and the company. :)

I can talk about Ol' Father-in-Law, however. He had dust kittehs the size of footballs under the bed, packed in with bed linens - the old fashioned kind, with handmade lace and embroidery - that had been ironed and folded away by Ol' Mother-in-Law before she died in '75. He was 97 when he died, so he'd been saving tin foil since WWII.

And butter bowls! He had every single butter bowl he'd ever bought - all piled up in the corner of the kitchen counter. One wrong move and we'd've had a butter-bowl avalanche the likes of which the world has never known.

Under the guest bed, there were nine boxes - perfectly fit together and full of junk he'd bought from some catalog company that sold junk for a living. Mayonaise knives (multiple!), cheap costume jewelry, more butter-bowl size plastic storage containers (with matching lids), wooden spoons, junk, junk, and more junk.

It comes with age, I'm firmly convinced. Nothing abnormal about it... age-wise, anyway.

KTC
06-27-2008, 03:56 AM
There are no hidden secrets in my hoards, but there is some very bad writing. (-;

I wouldn't care. I have been ready for death to take me for about 25 years now. My baggage is packed and I look forward to the journey, Daddy-O.

Upbeat
06-27-2008, 04:09 AM
OFG ...No wonder he stored the butter bowls rather than use them!
...so he could live to 97!
Sorry the auction debri's secret; but the father-in-law stuff fills the bill.

AmyDoodle
06-27-2008, 07:10 AM
They'd think I worshipped kitty litter.

MelodyO
06-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Heh, I'm sure my little box of semi-kinky stuff under the bed wouldn't raise too many eyebrows in this day and age.

PS I am sooooo married and boring, BTW. The box o' kink is rather dusty if I do say so myself.